BEB fail engine rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y'all. So, I put off replacing my BEB's for too long, and it bit me in the butt today. I was 20 miles from home and started hearing a strange ticking sound. I limped it to my buddies shop, but it was too late. I pulled the oil pan and found #6 rod bearings had spun, and the crankshaft journal looks pretty bad. So, I'm looking at a full engine rebuild at this point.

What I'm asking now, is if anyone could point me to all the right companies to buy all the parts from. I'm gonna need rod and main bearings, a full gasket set, perhaps oversized pistons and rings, and anything else y'all would recommend. I've rebuilt hundreds of engines, but never a 1HDT diesel. Please guide me. I plan to spend a good few hours porting the head while I have it out, as that is my specialty. And I might just fab up an equal length stainless steel header for the turbo as well. But I don't know where to get all the rebuild parts, preferably from one place. Let me know.

Thank you all in advance.

-Eric

Hey y'all. So, I put off replacing my BEB's for too long, and it bit me in the butt today. I was 20 miles from home and started hearing a strange ticking sound. I limped it to my buddies shop, but it was too late. I pulled the oil pan and found #6 rod bearings had spun, and the crankshaft journal looks pretty bad. So, I'm looking at a full engine rebuild at this point.

What I'm asking now, is if anyone could point me to all the right companies to buy all the parts from. I'm gonna need rod and main bearings, a full gasket set, perhaps oversized pistons and rings, and anything else y'all would recommend. I've rebuilt hundreds of engines, but never a 1HDT diesel. Please guide me. I plan to spend a good few hours porting the head while I have it out, as that is my specialty. And I might just fab up an equal length stainless steel header for the turbo as well. But I don't know where to get all the rebuild parts, preferably from one place. Let me know.

Thank you all in advance.

-Eric

How loud of a tick are we talking? The BEB’s are always in the back of my mind and stories like these stress me the hell out.

I only have 127k kilometers on the clock, but even with that low of miles I have no evidence from the previous owner they were done. Original owner maybe did them as it lived in japan until it came here in 95/96, so maybe they were done as part of the original Toyota bulletin.

Super curious what symptoms your motor showed before the failure if you’re willing to share

How loud of a tick are we talking? The BEB’s are always in the back of my mind and stories like these stress me the hell out.

I only have 127k kilometers on the clock, but even with that low of miles I have no evidence from the previous owner they were done. Original owner maybe did them as it lived in japan until it came here in 95/96, so maybe they were done as part of the original Toyota bulletin.

Super curious what symptoms your motor showed before the failure if you’re willing to share
Hey there Donnerpassing. There were no symptoms before the tick started. Truck runs great. Just drove it 2600 miles across the country pulling a 4500lb trailer with no engine issues at all. Oil changes every 5k miles. Everything was peachy. I was 20 minutes into a drive, engine fully warmed up. Slightest ticking sound started, and at first I thought it was a relay in the dash or something. Then it got a little bit louder, so I pulled off the road to crawl underneath and take a listen. Then I thought it was a flex plate bolt coming loose or something. Sounded like it was in the bell housing. But once I got to the shop and dropped the pan, it was obvious. There wasn't any metal shavings in the pan, but the bearings had spun on the crank. I feel kinda dumb. I should have changed them 2 years ago when I first heard about the issue. Especially considering how easy it was to pull the pan and get the bearing out. Took me all of 15 minutes to drain the oil, get the pan off and remove the bearing. Literally could replace all the bearings in about an hour. Highly recommend.

I would buy the parts from Toyota unless you want upgraded parts.

Cranks are readily available but so are .50 over bearings.

I would also put in ARP head studs while you are at it, available out if Australia.

Cheers

Have an oil analysis done.

I would buy the parts from Toyota unless you want upgraded parts.

Cranks are readily available but so are .50 over bearings.

I would also put in ARP head studs while you are at it, available out if Australia.

Cheers
I was not aware you could still buy the crank from Toyota. You mean Toyota in the US? Or from Japan? I fully plan to put upsized ARP head studs in while doing the rebuild. I always used ARP studs when building my high HP Volvo engines. We also used Cometic MLS head gaskets on all the turbo builds. Will be doing the same for this build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom