Change of engine sound and smoke after rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Ruster

2LT Sufferer
SILVER Star
Threads
So I was going through old videos and I've just noticed ever since the rebuild and injection pump change, my engine has gone from sounding like a typical diesel to more of a VW TDI sound.
Before:

After:

The biggest thing though thats been pissing me right off is the black smoke. Before, I could hammer on the throttle all day and maybe get a slight haze if I'm lugging it
Before:

and then I skipped my timing belt one day driving home but I was able to put a new belt on and keep driving, felt weak, I knew the valve seats were gone (they were), but immediately noticed more smoke:

After the engine rebuild (Valves were apparently fine, just damaged guides, was in for other unrelated stuff like melted pistons, not important to this.
New pump and rebuild and here we are now

I've been through it all, has plenty of air, timing is set to factory bla bla bla. If I turn the fuel screw down so it doesn't roll, I can't drive the damn truck without flooring it everywhere. I already can't rev the engine higher then 3900RPM with my foot to the floor. The max stop screw is already almost to the end.

I'm trying to get the turbo on, I know that will solve the smoke (and power) problem, but I don't understand why it sounds and acts so different. Before I would take it on backroad road trips, now I don't even trust it to go camping in.

Hmm this is weird… you don’t want too much black smoke coming out - things can get toasty fast.

I haven’t worked on a 2L before, but I understand it has a mechanical injection pump - is the Injection pump like a LandCruiser diesel featuring a EDIC setup? Perhaps injection pump has become stuck on “over inject” - for cold starts?

Because it has been made aware to me, that on my injection pump, it’s possible for the Fuel controller or “EDIC” to get stuck on, hence the Engine rolling coal.

Just trying to help.

The engine sound after the rebuild sounds fine to me. Looks like the turbo is just taking longer to catch up with the fuel being injected. My 93 Dodge smoked far worse than that when the throttle was blipped. It had a large turbo and it took a while to spool up.

The engine sound after the rebuild sounds fine to me. Looks like the turbo is just taking longer to catch up with the fuel being injected. My 93 Dodge smoked far worse than that when the throttle was blipped. It had a large turbo and it took a while to spool up.
there's no turbo

Hmm this is weird… you don’t want too much black smoke coming out - things can get toasty fast.

I haven’t worked on a 2L before, but I understand it has a mechanical injection pump - is the Injection pump like a LandCruiser diesel featuring a EDIC setup? Perhaps injection pump has become stuck on “over inject” - for cold starts?

Because it has been made aware to me, that on my injection pump, it’s possible for the Fuel controller or “EDIC” to get stuck on, hence the Engine rolling coal.

Just trying to help.
it runs -basically- a bosch VE rotary pump. Identical to the early TDIs and 12 valve cummins.

Sounds like it's more advanced than before. That causes smoke to be black as the diesel is charred to clumps of soot before it's properly burnt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom