Builds bcomnes's 2004 GX470 Build/Ownership thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went tree cutting in S. Utah last weekend. Got to exercise the center lock and low gear one some forest roads.

When the locker is on I get a 'VSC Off' light. Is that normal?

View attachment 2519546

View attachment 2519813
VSC is vehicle stability control, that's the traction control for slick and slippery surfaces, like ice snow rain etc. When you lock the center differential vehicle stability control is off but A-trac actuates for traction off-road. They're similar systems but also different. vehicle stability control actuates abs for traction, but also modulates engine throttle, AKA nanny mode. When center diff is locked (and therefore four-wheel drive), traction control (A-trac) acts as traction aid but no nanny mode, ergo ABS actuation but no throttle kill, so in four-wheel drive with center diff locked, you can left foot brake and throttle up the engine whereas in all wheel drive (torsen center diff not locked), when there's slippage of tires, engine throttle is modulated as well. AKA you can't drift in the snow in all-wheel drive, but when you lock the center diff you can

Last edited:
Ok my VL2 video is live

Found your video on YouTube and was super helpful! A few q's for you:
  • How long does Vline take to boot up when you first start the car and navigate to it?
  • How did you snake the microphone into the dash?

Found your video on YouTube and was super helpful! A few q's for you:
  • How long does Vline take to boot up when you first start the car and navigate to it?
  • How did you snake the microphone into the dash?

cool glad that was useful.

The vl2 takes less than a minute. Sometimes it’s super fast (matter of seconds), sometimes it takes 10-30 seconds. Sometimes it doesn’t boot at all, and you have to shut the key to off and the back to acc to try again. I would say it works 90% of the time. I think it’s a timing thing, not sure why it does that.

It’s not as good as a modern double din but way better than nothing, especially if all you want is car play.

I routed the cable behind the head unit when I had it pulled out, the behind the black plastic trim in front of the gauges. The manual recommends routing it up the a/b column but that would involve removing the headliner which I want prepared to do, though a ceiling location would have been better. The gage position works fine though.

Radiator has a leak. Drove a huge road trip with it, and it held fine, but Its one of those things I don't want to sleep on.

Looking at replacement options:

Local radiator guy quoting me $268 for a presumably aftermarket rad.

IMG_6902.jpeg

I found an OEM for a seemingly decent price: $423

Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 4.16.59 PM.png
\

Anyone ever tackle replacement rad before? Thinking OEM will be better long term and worth the extra ~$200.

New radiator, hoses and clamps going in today:

IMG_7061.jpeg

PNs:

- 16400-50313 (radiator)
- 90466-41008 (Hose clamp) x4
- 16571-50200 (hose)
- 16572-50190 (hose)

I got the radiator from a dealer parts store called arrowhead lexus in arizona. they had a good price and offered free shipping. But they shipped it directly in the part box, no additional padding. So some of the fins got messed up in shipping and the box took a beating. A little disappointed but I guess what you pay for?

DSCF5860.JPG

DSCF5859.JPG

Mechanic said it looked fine, just fin damange. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Got some new tires at costco. 5 BFG TRIAL-TERRAIN T/A 265/65R17 112T ORWL ALL-SEASON TIRE Total $1,113.89. It's like a wife version of the KO2. I like them a lot so far. They ride quiet and feel a lot more confident on snowpack than whatever came on this thing.

IMG_8145.jpeg
IMG_8143.jpeg

IMG_8144.jpeg

Last edited:
A few updates in no particular order

- Changed the headlights and tailights to LED parking/flashers
- I changed out the flasher module to an LED compatible one.
- Timing belt change at ProAuto in St George with an Asin water pump/timing belt kit.
- I replaced the propeller shaft with the TSB. This completely fixed the 'clunk'
- Replaced the rear suspension airbags and filter. Car rides soooo much better now and the air pump only runs a little bit.
- Replaced rear bump stops and some bushings.
- Been monitoring the ABS screeching. Hasn't done it since that one time after the rain, but I do have the accumulator and motor assembly ready to go if it gets worse.

Only interesting picture I can find for now is the new flasher. I wish I got the diode dynamics smart tap, might upgrade later.

https://amzn.to/3mo8jq5

IMG_8576.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom