Battery Type for Dual-Battery 1HDT? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My apologies for resurrecting an old thread. What are the references to Group 27 and 27F. What is the "F".

The posts are flipped so your other battery isn't installed backwards [ - + ] [ + - ]

I've always assumed this was so the positive was on the inside of the vehicle, but that hypothesis is directly out of my a$$ and I have never seen mention of it.

My next set of batteries may well be deep cycles, which are not available in a 27F, so I may replace the battery wiring so it works.

Has anyone or is it possible to go with just one high CCA battery instead of two?

Has anyone or is it possible to go with just one high CCA battery instead of two?
That will only work if you have a 12v start HDJ80 or converted HDJ81. A factory 24v start HDJ81 requires two batteries.

Lots of guys have done the 12V starter conversion and can now run on a single battery though. Not all markets got the 24V starter/dual battery configuration from factory, they will start fine in warm temps with the 12V setup.

Lots of guys have done the 12V starter conversion and can now run on a single battery though. Not all markets got the 24V starter/dual battery configuration from factory, they will start fine in warm temps with the 12V setup.
How does one know if one has a 12v or 24v starter? Single battery vs two?
😁

Most obvious, if you're second battery isn't already marked with warnings, is if you have a changeover/starter relay. It will be mounted beside the left side (USDS) battery. Your alternator and left battery wiring should go directly to it.

Most obvious, if you're second battery isn't already marked with warnings, is if you have a changeover/starter relay. It will be mounted beside the left side (USDS) battery. Your alternator and left battery wiring should go directly to it.
Thanks. I’ll take a look!

I just happened to go out for a drive today, so here's a picture of the relay thing. The plastic cover with a single Phillips hides it, the big red wires are in place of your original + wires.

20210401_121154.jpg

Anyone experience premature failure with their AGM batteries charging with stock alternators?

I don't have the diode mod on my HDJ81. This winter was brutal and I didn't drive the truck often which I believe is the biggest contributor to them dying. The batteries started showing weakness at 3 years mark, but after a quick charge they seem to be fine again. It is a little worrisome once I begin to cycle them down with my fridge. Curious if anyone has also seen this with their AGM setup.

Thanks

I am running 2 of these in my HDJ81
I believe there the exact same as the Northstar Batteries but available to Canadians just look at the housing and specs and see the similar specifications

Northstar NSB-AGM27M

1650225858742.png

FEATURES​

• MOTOMASTER NAUTILUS EXTREME AGM Group 27 High Performance AGM Deep Cycle Battery features 99.99% pure lead AGM (absorbed glass mat) technology and precision robotic assembly to deliver extreme power, endurance and reliability
  • Capable of over 400 charge/discharge cycles to 80% depth of discharge and over 900 cycles at 50% depth of discharge - that's more than 2x the cycle life of regular AGM batteries and 4X the cycle life of conventional flooded deep cycle batteries
  • More useable power: Unlike conventional flooded batteries that should never be taken beyond 50% depth of discharge, pure lead AGM technology can withstand deep discharges allowing you to take advantage of more of the battery's rated amp hour
  • Rapid recharging: Accepts the maximum amount of amps that an alternator or battery charger can deliver for astonishingly fast recharges
  • Clean, safe and truly maintenance-free: no messy or dangerous acid spills, can be mounted in virtually any position, no gassing (under normal charging), never requires water to be added and brass terminals that will never build corrosion
  • Extremely low self-discharge: stores for up to 2 years on a full charge with no loss of capacity, ideal for off-season storage
  • Extreme vibration resistance: up to 28X more vibration resistant than a conventional marine battery to handle the roughest waters or terrain
  • Longest life: Up to 2x longer service life than regular AGM batteries and 6x longer than conventional flooded batteries
  • Group size: 27
  • 1750 Pulse crank amps, 1080 marine crank amps, 92 amp hours, 195 minute reserve capacity
  • Dimensions: 12-3/8" L x 6-3/4" W x 8-3/4" H (314 x 171 x 222 mm)

1650225604916.png

Anyone experience premature failure with their AGM batteries charging with stock alternators?

I don't have the diode mod on my HDJ81. This winter was brutal and I didn't drive the truck often which I believe is the biggest contributor to them dying. The batteries started showing weakness at 3 years mark, but after a quick charge they seem to be fine again. It is a little worrisome once I begin to cycle them down with my fridge. Curious if anyone has also seen this with their AGM setup.

Thanks
to combat this I'm using a DC-DC charger

CTEK D250S DUAL + Smartpass​

Basically my configuration
1650226226773.png

Attachments

• DCDC Handouts.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
Seems like a high-output alternator will also result in stronger voltage for AGM batteries.

A high output alternator will help but will never charge your deep cycle to full that's why I use a charge controller.

"Alternators are designed to maintain a battery's charge, not to recharge a dead battery. Charging a dead battery with an alternator will result in premature alternator failure."

SBC High Output Alternator

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom