Battery Type for Dual-Battery 1HDT? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '94 HDJ81, imported from Japan. The batteries are getting tired, so I want to spec out their replacements before I have to suddenly purchase them.

I believe they are a 27, and a 27F. I might rebuild the wiring harness to allow two identical batteries to be used, but that's another matter…

What battery type would yield the best deep cycle performance, while still starting the truck at -35ºC? I do camp out for longer periods, and I use the truck's starting bank as my house bank. I'm thinking Crown or Trojan, but my knowledge is not very deep in this matter.

I don't think the 24V start requires much out of the batteries? True deep cycles should be OK?

Comments?

I've got Crown dual purpose batteries in the 80, both 27 series. Rejigged the wiring on the left side to accept a 27 instead of a 27F last fall. Only had them in since last fall so no long term input yet. Local fellow I get my batteries from recommended Crown. I had never heard of them and did some googling, then decided to give them a go. When my BJ74 needs new batteries it will get Crown DP 27's as well.

gb

Update: The Crown DP have ended up being incredibly gassy. Had a buddy get some as well and he has had the same experience. I’ve run DP batteries for a while now and have never had such gas. Was told about Battery Equalizer additive so ordered and added at the correct amount. It has not eliminated the off gassing problem. I ordered Water-Miser Safety Vents and they did help. Dunno if this is an ongoing thing for Crown DP or DC batteries, but my next set of DP batteries will likely be whatever Costco sells, as easy replacement in the future. Did not try ThermOil Battery De-Mister.

Last edited:
They have to be the same my trucknis getting fixed so idk exactly but omg how did u get a 1994 I thought 25 year import law made those impossible to get- I live in california where the weather is perfect everything else sucks lol

I've got Crown dual purpose batteries in the 80, both 27 series. Rejigged the wiring on the left side to accept a 27 instead of a 27F last fall. Only had them in since last fall so no long term input yet. Local fellow I get my batteries from recommended Crown. I had never heard of them and did some googling, then decided to give them a go. When my BJ74 needs new batteries it will get Crown DP 27's as well.

Those a premium AGMs, right?

They have to be the same my trucknis getting fixed so idk exactly but omg how did u get a 1994 I thought 25 year import law made those impossible to get- I live in california where the weather is perfect everything else sucks lol

Imported into Ontario, Canada, which has a 15-year rule. You can have it when I'm done with it…:flipoff2:

A.

Imported into Ontario, Canada, which has a 15-year rule. You can have it when I'm done with it…:flipoff2:

A.

So you're in Ontario, strong batteries is a big deal when winter rolls around. Not as big a deal if you were in the southern US.

Check out Northstar AGM, they are supposed to be VERY good, but not cheap.

Northstar or Odyssey if you want top of the line. Not really sure it's necessary tbh.

My truck does not charge at a high enough voltage to fully charge AGM's so I have to throw it on a charger once a month or so.

I've got two North Stars in my HZJ77 and really really like them. They can take a lot of abuse and are very reliable but as mentioned before they are not cheap.

Northstar or Odyssey if you want top of the line. Not really sure it's necessary tbh.

My truck does not charge at a high enough voltage to fully charge AGM's so I have to throw it on a charger once a month or so.

That is my worry, so I'm going to stay away from AGMs.

A.

Charging my AGM NorthStar's is never an issue coming off my stock alternator on my 24V 1HZ.

FWIW my third battery bank will be all AGM as well seein it'll be inside the cab and I don't want dangerous offgassing.

I'm running the Canadian Tire brand AGM in Group 34 rather than Group 27:

MotoMaster Eliminator Ultra AGM Automotive Batteries | Canadian Tire

5 year full replacement warranty on them, so I figured they are worth a shot. These have a higher CCA than the NAPA Group 27's I had before and they are much easier to fit at the battery location since they are a bit smaller. The Napa ones I had didn't have handles so I found they were a PITA to install and remove. These AGM's also won't leak all over the place like the lead-acid Group 27's did on me.

Being on the west coast it doesn't get really cold here, but the Canadian Tire AGM batteries were still good at -15C or so for me. No charging issues others have mentioned above.

IIRC you should be charging at 14.4V minimum for AGM's. I have a rebuilt alternator and all new battery cables and still only see 14.2v...which is completely normal just not enough for AGM's.

In the HJ60 the voltage can be easily raised by bending a small lip, is that not possible in the 81?

Maybe the 81 is better designed but glowing and starting takes a lot of energy in cold.

I would like to buy a battery saver but to expensive, the dual setup is not my favorite and I bought batteries with two year warranty and needed a new one after 18 months.

So I rather buy cheap and new every two year than expensive and try to get to 5 years.

voltage regulator adjust, I want to do that to 14.5 volt because I agree that new batteries need more voltage than old system gives:
file.php

file.php

This is as high voltage as it gets:

file.php

Last edited:
In the HJ60 the voltage can be easily raised by bending a small lip, is that not possible in the 81?

Maybe the 81 is better designed but glowing and starting takes a lot of energy in cold.

I would like to buy a battery saver but to expensive, the dual setup is not my favorite and I bought batteries with two year warranty and needed a new one after 18 months.

So I rather buy cheap and new every two year than expensive and try to get to 5 years.

voltage regulator adjust, I want to do that to 14.5 volt because I agree that new batteries need more voltage than old system gives:
file.php

file.php

This is as high voltage as it gets:

file.php

That's pretty cool, don't see anything in the 1HD-T FSM to that effect though.

I can do the same on my BJ42 and have upped the charge slightly in the past. No go with the newer stuff.

I recall hearing/reading about some folk up north adding a resistor or some such thing to their alternator wiring to charge hotter in the winter. I think they were putting it in the winter and taking out for the summer. I thought there was mention of it on Mud but can not find it just now.

hth's
gb

I'm running the Canadian Tire brand AGM in Group 34 rather than Group 27:

MotoMaster Eliminator Ultra AGM Automotive Batteries | Canadian Tire

5 year full replacement warranty on them, so I figured they are worth a shot. These have a higher CCA than the NAPA Group 27's I had before and they are much easier to fit at the battery location since they are a bit smaller. The Napa ones I had didn't have handles so I found they were a PITA to install and remove. These AGM's also won't leak all over the place like the lead-acid Group 27's did on me.

Being on the west coast it doesn't get really cold here, but the Canadian Tire AGM batteries were still good at -15C or so for me. No charging issues others have mentioned above.

I've used the Ukranian Tire batteries in every vehicle I've had the last 10 years or so, work and home.

My reasoning is that they are Cheap, Readily Available, and Replaceable with a simple warranty. They will fail, but then they will be replaced and the warranty continues so i view them more as a battery subscription.

I operate my truck in a very cold climate. I've had the best service from CdnTire Nautilus Marine Starter batteries. The expensive red-top batteries that were installed by the importer lasted one winter. They don't work well in a series 24v configuration. A red-top battery in my 12v import car has lasted for many years.

Reactions: KTP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom