Battery Terminal Expansion Options (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You get 17MPG..... ever? That's better than I'm getting now with 32"'s. I think you just gave me the justification I needed to take this expenditure to the wife....
Yeah, just got back from a trip to Colorado and was watching mpg fairly closely for some reason (something to do while driving across the Great Plains, mostly, and curiosity. But really, it is what it is at this point).

I'm content with that number, considering all my mods. Tires are 35x11.5x17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, which are E load rating so not exactly easy rollers.

Pretty crazy you guys are pulling down those MPG numbers with 460s, low gears, and big tires. Can't help but wonder if it's due to the 6th gear in the A760F or the 1UR being more efficient than a 2UZ. I'm tentatively planning on a 4.30 or 4.56 regear with P-rated 33's (mainly for towing where 3.73s don't cut it) and am hoping it doesn't trash my mileage even more with just the 5-speed A750F. My setup as-is rarely exceeds 18 mpg; I probably average closer to 15 mpg city/highway and 12 mpg towing.

On one trip to the Ozarks, before I did the tires and gears, I was following some older rigs that could only do 60-65 mph, I got over 20 mpg.

On one trip to the Ozarks, before I did the tires and gears, I was following some older rigs that could only do 60-65 mph, I got over 20 mpg.
Has to be that 0.586 high-gear vs. 0.716 in a 470 in that case. If I had known that (and the 8.2 vs. 8 inch delta in diff strength) I might have bought a 460 instead!

Pretty crazy you guys are pulling down those MPG numbers with 460s, low gears, and big tires. Can't help but wonder if it's due to the 6th gear in the A760F or the 1UR being more efficient than a 2UZ. I'm tentatively planning on a 4.30 or 4.56 regear with P-rated 33's (mainly for towing where 3.73s don't cut it) and am hoping it doesn't trash my mileage even more with just the 5-speed A750F. My setup as-is rarely exceeds 18 mpg; I probably average closer to 15 mpg city/highway and 12 mpg towing.
On our road trip to Main for a lobster dinner, once we got over the continental divide (or there abouts), premium gas octane bumped up several points over what we get here on the west coast. Some of my highway mileage was over 18 MPG, just as my rig is set up now, e.g. roof top tent and all!
I was even running 50% worn 34" BFG M/T's.

Has to be that 0.586 high-gear vs. 0.716 in a 470 in that case. If I had known that (and the 8.2 vs. 8 inch delta in diff strength) I might have bought a 460 instead!
Probably.

Yeah, be careful with that 470 rear diff, my buddy blew his a couple times in only moderate wheeling. If you're going to regear, I heard East Coast Gears have a Dana 60 replacement axle kit for the 470, would be worth looking into IMO since the 470 will run forever otherwise.

Thats f***ing awesome. Did you install yourself and if so, how was the front diff removal?

I went up a steep 100ft hill this year and forgot the center locker. ATRAC kicked in like crazy and saved my ass though. I hate the clatter but it works pretty well. Though Lifestyle overland showed how much better a rear locker was when they got their gx and 5th gen bogged to the bumpers in the same track. The 4runner walked out easily with the locker but the GX had to get winched out when ATRAC couldn’t make it happen. Thats one reason I haven’t screwed with adding crawl control. Figured Id just save the money and pay for half of a rear locker.
I did the wiring, but had a shop do the diff installs. Lot of people do them, but I just didn't want to deal with the hassle. Hindsight being 20/20 I would've done the install myself since I had to bring it back twice when someone mucked up a CV seal. ECGS does good work and has great service if you are thinking about DIY install.

premium gas octane bumped up several points over what we get here on the west coast.
That makes sense. When I ran a tank of 87 I was 1-2 MPG lower.
Yeah, be careful with that 470 rear diff, my buddy blew his a couple times in only moderate wheeling.
Moderate wheeling like this?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: r2m
Probably.

Yeah, be careful with that 470 rear diff, my buddy blew his a couple times in only moderate wheeling. If you're going to regear, I heard East Coast Gears have a Dana 60 replacement axle kit for the 470, would be worth looking into IMO since the 470 will run forever otherwise.
I'm probably going to do the 8.2 swap since it's around 1-2K cheaper than the D60, as long as I can find a reasonably priced donor.

Moderate wheeling like this?

Not really, he was on Hotel Rock trail in Utah the second time it blew... while it looks gnarly it is not that bad because you generally have all 4 wheels on the ground and are going really slow. I did it in my 460 no problem.

I'm probably going to do the 8.2 swap since it's around 1-2K cheaper than the D60, as long as I can find a reasonably priced donor.
I assume you are going to re-gear at the same time? Because otherwise I don't think the gear ratios will match the front in a 470.

I assume you are going to re-gear at the same time? Because otherwise I don't think the gear ratios will match the front in a 470.
Yes, to 4.56. FYI the 5th gen 4Runner has the same 3.73 ratio as a 470. 460 has 3.91s.

Here is what I ended up going with for my battery terminal setup. Blue sea makes a battery terminal mounted bus bar. It has two posts and they make special fuses for it up to 300 A. I mounted it to the positive battery terminal, and then mounted my accessories to a 100 amp fuse. Probably overkill since I already have fuses or breakers on the accessories, but I wanted a fuse as close to the battery as possible, and this fit the bill. It came with a cover for the two post, and I was able to snip a small bit of the factory shield back to accommodate. Now everything is fused and covered right at the terminal, and I have an extra post for expansion in the future.

IMG_6134.jpeg

IMG_6137.jpeg

IMG_6136.jpeg

Here is what I ended up going with for my battery terminal setup. Blue sea makes a battery terminal mounted bus bar. It has two posts and they make special fuses for it up to 300 A. I mounted it to the positive battery terminal, and then mounted my accessories to a 100 amp fuse. Probably overkill since I already have fuses or breakers on the accessories, but I wanted a fuse as close to the battery as possible, and this fit the bill. It came with a cover for the two post, and I was able to snip a small bit of the factory shield back to accommodate. Now everything is fused and covered right at the terminal, and I have an extra post for expansion in the future.

View attachment 3430351

View attachment 3430352

View attachment 3430353
I like you were able to keep all the positive posts covered!

I'm not a fan of the big exposed blocks connected to positive due to risk of shorts.

I set mine up with two wires going to positive. One goes to a breaker which then breaks out all accessories. The other goes to the winch. I also have all my grounds collected on a plate that is inline with the chassis ground, rather than on the battery. Two exceptions to that are the winch and the switch pros which specifically call out a direct ground to battery.

The two relays on top are for lockers :D.

View attachment 3422136
Clean Set-up. Where did you get that battery tie down bracket?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom