Battery reversed polarity during charge, what did it mess up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Unfortunately I hooked it up and wires starting smoking. New battery, but now heater, dash, dome, radio, etc. aren't working, alternator isn't charging, but fuses look OK.

Circuit breaker? I can research but thought someone here would know immediately what my problem is.

Thanks.

fusible links right off the battery?

fusible links right off the battery?

Just looked at them in the fading daylight and the one link that is held together by a screw and nut is black on one end. Looks like the plastic piece around it melted but wires are still held together. What is there to replace with these, just the wire?

Did this years ago when I set a wrench down and shorted the battery. The fusible link fried up.

Took apart the one questionable fusible link that's held together by the nut/bolt and the wire actually looks OK. Will see if it still runs with this one disconnected because I want to get some more light on it in our garage. Working in the cold and dark isn't ideal.

The exterior may look intact, but the innards cooked. The best way to test it is with a multimeter

I'm not getting OHM readings across any of the fusible links, so ?

So they are burnt to a crisp and they did their job. Time to buy a replacement.

@RAGINGMATT may be able to help as I don't think they are available at the dealer anymore.

Hmm. Well, there are three fusible link connections that I see. Two plug in and the one is bolted together. The truck starts and drives with the bolted one disconnected but does not with all of them disconnected, so they can't all be bad. I must be doing something wrong. Guess I can start by replacing wire for the bolt together link.

What doesnt work? Did you check all the fuses in the fuse box?

Alternator doesn't charge, no heater/blower or dash lights. Head lights work though. Thanks, I will take another look at fuses. Checked dome light/stereo fuse and it was OK but they aren't working. Tried resetting circuit breakers but they didn't seem to be popped.

Have you checked the wiring diagram in the FSM to see which fusible link controls what? I can't pull it up right now but the diagram will list which fuse controls what and help you dial in on the fried one.

So the white wire going to the alternator has burned away from the green plug that holds the fusible links? This is what happened to mine ...evidently a P.O. had just wired it up and bypassed the plug. Also the white plug that goes between the fusible links and the battery was missing so the P.O. twisted the wires in the fusible links to the one wire coming off battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom