Battery drain

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by nats-fj40, Jan 1, 2003.

1. nats-fj40

nats-fj40

I hear that the most common reason for battery drain is the regulator? I've done most the rewiring on my cruiser, don't blow fuses, can't find a short or nuthin' but my batt will be dead if I leave it connected for a couple days of not running it. (red to Optima) Is there an easy home brew test for this? btw it's converted to a one wire chevy alt. internal reg.

2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Put a test light between the negative terminal and the disconnected negative cable. If there is a drain, it will light the lamp. Disconnect things until the light turns off. Be sure to disconnect the underhood lamp first, if you have one.

3. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Probably obvious, but maybe not.
    Pull fuses to eliminate systems that are fused.

4. fresno-lc

fresno-lc

make sure the alternator is hookes up to the side of the fuse block that is only on when the key is on i had mine huked up to the rong side for about a month and if i didnt disconect my batery every time i got out of my car then i would need a jump :'( high school kids are brutal if u need a jump evry day and ity gives them the rong inpresion about land cruisers and its realy just cause it was wired rong.

5. dargreg

dargreg

Media:
    Albums:
    I Had to put a relay in the 2nd and 3rd plug in on the alt. to stop the drain relays are excited by ign curcuit. they are the 2 relays on the right, the left one is the glow relay.Oh alt is an ordinary single post chev with plug in.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.