Battery Cutoff Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried doing a search as I assume this has been covered here, but nothing comes up.

Looking for under the hood battery cutoff switched to serve two purposes;

Prevent battery drain from phantom circuits.

Anti-theft device (yes, I know not full proof)

I've seen car collectors install these in classic cars before.

Here's my experience. I had to install two-way radio's, and other electronic equipment (mapping) in Polaris side-by-sides at work. I was a Communications Tech, and also served in the military working on aircraft (avionics), and ground support and test equipment.

I found at NAPA some battery cutoff switches that had a removable T-handle key. Supposed to be for under-hood applications. Damn things were intermittent (made in China), and wouldn't work half the time.

Looking at Marine Grade switches, assuming they would be a higher quality, probably even water proof, if not just more water resistant than those made for automotive applications?

Unfortunately, every dealer and distributor I contact can't give me a good answer to where they are manufactured. I'm trying to avoid made in China crap. Would prefer something made in USA, Japan, or Europe.

Anyone here have experience with a good quality unit?

Thanks in advance, here's a link to some of the Marine Grade switches:

Don't know a lot about this, but seems to me that you may be better off tackling each task separately. Get a good beefy switch for the battery cutoff and then -since you are an expert already in electronics- rig a little hidden switch someplace to prevent engine start, either manual or radio.
I have some Blue Sea big switches, they seem of fine quality. I have seen some T-handle affairs, saying they are not bypass-proof is being generous. I imagine all are made in China.

Tried the PICO, same exp. - crappy, insides rot and fail. Searched, found some race car stuff rated for higher amps ( Moroso ) with better case and insides, currently still running under hood where PICO failed. You have 2 choices, a mech. device such as above or a relay, which requires 12v to activate so not a true cut off as the trigger switch has to be always hot, anyway the relay style come in higher ratings than the mech. except for the Moroso I found AFAIK. The relay set ups are more costly as well. I like the mech cause if it fails its an easy fix.

I've had the Blue Sea switch, per your link, mounted in the engine bay of my '07 HD2500 to allow cut-off of current flow to a LFP battery I have mounted in the bed (so not to send current to the battery when the battery is at/below 32F) and its held up great the past 4-years.

Hmmm.... What do they use as the master switch on the floor of fire trucks? Those always work.

I've seen Perko (made in US) in some emergency vehicles ...

cheers,
george.

I had no idea. I always thought this brand was made in U.S.A. Caterpillar master switches are pretty bullet proof and I could have sworn they said U.S.A on them back when I worked at a Cat dealership. I have had or seen MANY Cole Hersee switches in mining and construction as well as general automotive switches. They were always quality parts.

Looks like it changed hands https://investor.littelfuse.com/new...use-announces-acquisition-cole-hersee-company

Have you looked at the disconnects from Flaming River? They are made in the US.

I also use the Flaming River Cut Off. Mine also has the ability to lock it on/off with a padlock.

ABC7943A-0970-4E5F-8E29-966DD6C8562C.png

C56D6269-423B-4E1D-B084-5A76601F5839.png

867641CE-B337-4FDB-95BE-6DEE4C9F325E.png

Slee uses some kind of giant rotary switch under the hood. Google it, you should find a photo...

In general when I need something electrical that is robust I start with deep water marine suppliers like PKYS.

I use either Blue Sea Systems or BEP Marine battery switches. Current project truck has Blue Sea combiner switch and a simple on/off switch for the winch.
The lines between the two companies get a little blurred because Blue Sea sells some of the BEP product under their own label. Pic of the combiner switch installed. The cable going over the A/C line has since been moved to under it.
i-8RT2T3j-M.jpg

Downside to that is that the cables get long, which incurs a greater voltage drop when things get hot.

And you're passing all of that capacity for carnage thru a sheet metal panel, twice. I've no idea what ampacity these are rated for, but I used two of them (they used to come in black and red) on my '65 Valiant's remote battery conversion to go thru the firewall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom