Bandeirantes to US? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Second. It isn't that vehicles cost a lot more in Brazil than AUS, it is the exchange rate that plays a major role. Exchanging your dollars for Reals requires that there is a strong market of Brazilians wanting to exchange their Reals for your dollars. A more favorable exchange occurs when a greater demand for dollars exists.

The dollar is really weak right now (1.78 USD to 1 Real). Two/three years ago you could find it at upper 3 to 4 to one real. :frown:

Serious exo-cage, full-floater, racing harnesses, and city-slicker tires. Makes you wonder what conditions/what wild animals this guy comes up against! Did someone say,"Poseur!"

The dollar is really weak right now (1.78 USD to 1 Real). Two/three years ago you could find it at upper 3 to 4 to one real. :frown:

Not to mention that the Brazillian economy is doing really well and is considered one of the BRIC countries in regards to future growth and development (BRIC = Brazil, Russia, India, China). It is a hot spot for global expansion.

I think the flip side to the personal vehicle importation law is that you can't sell it to someone in the states, it's here for you and if you don't want it anymore it has to leave the country...

That is a U.S. law and applies to foriegn vehicles that you don't plan on actually importing. Applies a lot to Canadians that drive down and live in the U.S. for long periods of time. They can bring their POV with them to the extent that they take it back with them when they leave.

I think the 3 years is referring to Brazilian law, not US or AU law. (Though I seem to recall a fellow on here who had mentioned it was more like 9 months or something like that for Brazil....)

-Ferg-

Last edited:
I think the 3 years is referring to Brazilian law, not US or AU law. (Though I seem to recall a fellow on here who had mentioned it was more like 9 months or something like that for Brazil....)

-Ferg-

I guess I don't understand where the 3 years is an issue? Could you re-explain? :doh:

I recall something like that also...the person exporting the truck must be the owner for 3 years...then that owner can export the truck for HIS personal use outside the country.

But i have heard of a few brazilian VW bettles showing up here in the US from owners who didn't own the vehicals very long.

I contacted Toyocap in Sao Paulo Brazil and received some information from a gentleman named Lucio. He mentions that Toyocap specializes in Bandi and the body parts posted on their website are made of stell and are original parts restored/reconditioned.

According to Lucio, the FJ40 has the same frame as the Bandi BJ50 L or LV, but the LWB 50LV-B is longer for the extended cab. Only a feel 2001 models came with the four door package so they are difficult to find.

I'm waiting to receive some pictures of what he has on hand.

Michael

ToyoCap in Brazil website address:

Think you can order a 4-door body tub and ship it over!

Nothing wrong about bringing in a bunch of parts!

Already talked to a Toyocap Rep just yesterday. They have no 4-door body tubs on hand and said they are hard to get. Does have some extended cab bodies on hand and is getting me some pictures.

If anyone wants to put in a wish list, the Rep asked me want I was interested in and he'd get an estimate together.

you don't need to pay 25% tariff. It's like 2 or 5%...I forget. I've never paid 25%. If they make you, get a better customs broker.

I found something relating to this. Its referred to as the Chicken tax.

The United States applies a 25 percent tariff on imported pickup trucks — a trade barrier that originated in a dispute with Europe over frozen chicken. By comparison, car imports face a 2.5 percent tariff. According to a fact sheet AIADA sent to Capitol Hill earlier this month, U.S. trade officials have collected the 25 percent tariff on imported trucks since 1963. The tariff was directed at a Volkswagen-built truck.

The truck tariff was written into law by Congress and has remained on the books ever since.

AIADA argues that removing the tariff would lower truck prices on imports and give American consumers greater choice. But Reuther said the deal would lead to a “flood of imported pickups” that threaten American jobs. Roughly 25,000 workers are employed making pickup trucks in the United States. Toyota, he said, has already moved its pickup-truck production facilities in Japan to Thailand.

But AIADA said foreign truck makers would have already chosen Mexico, with its low labor costs and ability to export trucks duty-free to the U.S. market, as their main platform.

Toyota and Nissan have already sought to avoid the chicken tax by moving some pick-up production facilities to the United States.

TheHill.com - Foreign-truck dealers squawking over retaliatory chicken tariff

Interesting thread, here I am in Brazil looking through your forum trying to find more info I can use to help me buy a Bandi here and I find you guys are dying to get your hands on one too!

Everything said so far in this thread rings true, the exchange rate is lousy at the moment, if fact I think it fell to and all time low today, so I doubt very much if importing one to the US makes any economic sense. Also, finding a good example of a 25 year old pick-up in this country is about as likely as finding a 25 year old virgin after Carnival. They work them to death here under adverse conditions with routine maintenance as an afterthought.

Personally, I'm looking for a early 90's BJ50LV-B, one of the long wheelbase models rather than a pickup. This one had the Mercedes 364 engine with power steering and if your lucky to get one of the later ones, a 5 speed tranny. One of these in decent nick will run you about R$ 30,000 or close to US$ 19,000 at todays rate. Kit one of these out with a turbo/intercooler setup, and a disc brake upgrade (pretty common here) and you have a nice expedition vehicle. Patagonia anyone?

Anyhoo, just thought I chime in with a few thoughts. If anyone is still following this thread and I can answer any questions just let me know.

Gringonjd,
Can you tell me how much the toyocap 2-door pick-up cab is, I don't know Portugese. Also do you know if importing parts is the same as a whole truck?
Thanks

I'll try and call them on Monday and see what they are asking. Based on what I see on other sites down here I would say you are looking at an asking price of R$45,000 to R$50,000 or around $30,000 US. I will see if he ships parts international also. Was there something specific you had in mind?

Nelson Davis
Mococa Brasil

I'll try and call them on Monday and see what they are asking. Based on what I see on other sites down here I would say you are looking at an asking price of R$45,000 to R$50,000 or around $30,000 US. I will see if he ships parts international also. Was there something specific you had in mind?

Nelson Davis
Mococa Brasil

I would be interested in the entire cab/body of the 4 door crew cab version with the doors. possibly a bed as well. other parts can be had here in the US.

All,

Sorry for the delay, I've had a minor laptop problem and have been without internet for a week. On the pickup for sale on the toyocap site, it has been sold.

Concerning parts, I talked to Lucio today and he gave a quote of R$ 850 for the crew cab, about $535 US (you are aware that it is fiberglass) and a quote of $R 13,500 about $8,500 for a steel bed. These prices are for here in Brasil and do not include FOB charges (freight on Board). Also all the shipping and custom issues will be yours. He has shipped parts abroad before but only to the Dominican Republic, never the US.

Hope this helps

Nelson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom