AVOID absolute-wits-end.com (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sources tell me they're in the process of filing bankruptcy, though I've not confirmed this for myself.
Seems likely as of now

IMG_9585.jpeg

Ya’ll are funny. Well, I wish I could contribute to everyone’s negative experience/bias with Wit’s End. Unfortunately, I have not been ‘blessed’ with such experiences. I’ve had sometimes slow communication with Joey, but I’ve received everything I have ordered. It was worth it to me to have entire kits pieced together to accomplish tasks like the PHH bypass, heater hose kits, etc., even if it meant it was more expensive than sourcing it from partsouq or rock auto… I saved time (precious and irreplaceable).

I for one hope that Wit’s End does indeed rise from whatever depths, ashes, or rubble it has been reduced to. I liked Joey’s products. I wasn’t enthused about ‘pre-orders’ and feel that may have contributed to the current Wit’s End demise. I am still hoping to get that QPM panel, fire extinguisher mount, plus a host of other innovative Cruiser products that were on his site. I’ll just have to wait longer…

I’m sorry for the negative experience some or all of you have had with Wit’s End and with J.R. I’ll return ya’ll to gloating at his misfortune.

Ya’ll are funny. Well, I wish I could contribute to everyone’s negative experience/bias with Wit’s End. Unfortunately, I have not been ‘blessed’ with such experiences. I’ve had sometimes slow communication with Joey, but I’ve received everything I have ordered. It was worth it to me to have entire kits pieced together to accomplish tasks like the PHH bypass, heater hose kits, etc., even if it meant it was more expensive than sourcing it from partsouq or rock auto… I saved time (precious and irreplaceable).

I for one hope that Wit’s End does indeed rise from whatever depths, ashes, or rubble it has been reduced to. I liked Joey’s products. I wasn’t enthused about ‘pre-orders’ and feel that may have contributed to the current Wit’s End demise. I am still hoping to get that QPM panel, fire extinguisher mount, plus a host of other innovative Cruiser products that were on his site. I’ll just have to wait longer…

I’m sorry for the negative experience some or all of you have had with Wit’s End and with J.R. I’ll return ya’ll to gloating at his misfortune.

It's a very complicated feeling, I don't wish for anyones misfortune and have many Wits End parts on my cruiser. His kits, custom products, etc. have both helped and save my vehicle many times and I'll forever be greatful I have those parts & accessories. Thankfully, I never experienced first hand what a lot of people have. But at the same time, I'm sympathetic and understand the anger & frustration that comes with a lack of follow through on many parts (especially $6,000+ turbo kits) and believe that Joey often times either bit off more than he could chew or straight up scammed people into financing projects he couldn't feasibly see through.

Its possible to be both a fan of his products and a harsh critic of his business practices. But communication and customer service are the biggest factors in supporting a business. He's let far too many people down, far too consistently, to offer ongoing & unwavering support. If this is the end I will miss his products & creations but will not say that it is undeserved.

It's a very complicated feeling, I don't wish for anyones misfortune and have many Wits End parts on my cruiser. His kits, custom products, etc. have both helped and save my vehicle many times and I'll forever be greatful I have those parts & accessories. Thankfully, I never experienced first hand what a lot of people have. But at the same time, I'm sympathetic and understand the anger & frustration that comes with a lack of follow through on many parts (especially $6,000+ turbo kits) and believe that Joey often times either bit off more than he could chew or straight up scammed people into financing projects he couldn't feasibly see through.

Its possible to be both a fan of his products and a harsh critic of his business practices. But communication and customer service are the biggest factors in supporting a business. He's let far too many people down, far too consistently, to offer ongoing & unwavering support. If this is the end I will miss his products & creations but will not say that it is undeserved.
To that end, Wit’s End was something of a ‘Kickstarter’ project of sorts. I did Kickstarter when iKamper brought out their kitchen system. It was already an established company and I felt relatively safe to ‘pre-invest’ in a concept to see it to market. That was about $400. For a $6,000 turbo? Yeah… Love ya’ Joey, but that is entirely too much bread to part with for ‘maybe’.

I absolutely do not doubt that JR has let many customers down over the course of time and whether plunking $100 for hoses or $6,000 for a custom turbo setup, you expect product for $$, not excuses. Therein lies the rub. JR is great as the Wit’s End ‘mad scientist’ developer/tinkerer/product tester. R&D usually takes considerable time and money before you actually see a return on investment. In a niche market like 60/70/80/100 series Land Cruisers as a sole proprietor/operator… it simply could have been too much.

I agree… many of us will miss his creations and products and no business ever really ‘deserves’ unwavering support. Businesses need to constantly and consistently earn customer support, even in a niche market.

To that end, Wit’s End was something of a ‘Kickstarter’ project of sorts. I did Kickstarter when iKamper brought out their kitchen system. It was already an established company and I felt relatively safe to ‘pre-invest’ in a concept to see it to market. That was about $400. For a $6,000 turbo? Yeah… Love ya’ Joey, but that is entirely too much bread to part with for ‘maybe’.

I absolutely do not doubt that JR has let many customers down over the course of time and whether plunking $100 for hoses or $6,000 for a custom turbo setup, you expect product for $$, not excuses. Therein lies the rub. JR is great as the Wit’s End ‘mad scientist’ developer/tinkerer/product tester. R&D usually takes considerable time and money before you actually see a return on investment. In a niche market like 60/70/80/100 series Land Cruisers as a sole proprietor/operator… it simply could have been too much.

I agree… many of us will miss his creations and products and no business ever really ‘deserves’ unwavering support. Businesses need to constantly and consistently earn customer support, even in a niche market.
Like you with I-Kamper, I felt that after him producing and selling 40+ turbo kits already, and having seen the feedback from happy buyers who received their box of boost within the expected window of time, I was safe to plop down my six thousand or so dollars and happily wait for the coolness to arrive...
It wasn't until many MANY months after the stated delivery date had come and gone, and after excuse after excuse had come from His Joeyness's mouth that I quit believing in him and decided to lawyer up.
It's been a rough lesson in human nature, as i genuinely believed in the guy and didn't expect to get my sphincter stretched quite as I did...
There is NO doubt that His Joeyness contributed a lot to the cruiser community and I take no real satisfaction (despite words to the contrary spoken in anger) in seeing him fail.
For those of you who DO feel that the downfall of WE is unfair and perhaps a witch-hunt perpetrated by some butt hurt customers, know that he was given multiple opportunities to talk to us and make things right before the ax came out.

Joey did this and despite his claims to the contrary, is solely responsible for his downfall.

Like you with I-Kamper, I felt that after him producing and selling 40+ turbo kits already, and having seen the feedback from happy buyers who received their box of boost within the expected window of time, I was safe to plop down my six thousand or so dollars and happily wait for the coolness to arrive...
It wasn't until many MANY months after the stated delivery date had come and gone, and after excuse after excuse had come from His Joeyness's mouth that I quit believing in him and decided to lawyer up.
It's been a rough lesson in human nature, as i genuinely believed in the guy and didn't expect to get my sphincter stretched quite as I did...
There is NO doubt that His Joeyness contributed a lot to the cruiser community and I take no real satisfaction (despite words to the contrary spoken in anger) in seeing him fail.
For those of you who DO feel that the downfall of WE is unfair and perhaps a witch-hunt perpetrated by some butt hurt customers, know that he was given multiple opportunities to talk to us and make things right before the ax came out.

Joey did this and despite his claims to the contrary, is solely responsible for his downfall.
I hope no one thinks that I believe the downfall of Wit’s End is unfair. Enterprises fail even when they do most everything ‘right’. COVID was a fine example of both developing niche markets and the downfall of long established business models. Anyone on the ‘left’ coast with more than a few solar laps remembers the day that Mervyn’s went under. Certain enterprises are just more susceptible than others. How many restaurants open with fanfare and close within a year? Bicycle shops operate at such a slim margin, you’d be a passionate fool or funded by Soros to open one.

There are probably more complex reasons for the downfall of Wit’s End, but if he were a sole proprietership… in a relatively exclusive niche market… you’d have to believe that he was funding his own R&D. I think his version of Kickstarter is what ultimately bit him in the ass. That, and hiding out from customers and not just being upfront about what was going on will doom any enterprise to failure, unless you make something everyone needs and you are the sole provider… enter big pharma… 😂

That said I, for one, hope that JR can make things right… maybe some 12-step programming could be involved 😆 and Wit’s End can return. Maybe he should concentrate on providing the ‘low hanging fruit’ and shy from those big ticket items? In our exclusive community, we need more ‘enthusiasts’ that provide quality product, rather than cheaply made ‘one size fits most’…

That said I, for one, hope that JR can make things right… maybe some 12-step programming could be involved 😆 and Wit’s End can return. Maybe he should concentrate on providing the ‘low hanging fruit’ and shy from those big ticket items? In our exclusive community, we need more ‘enthusiasts’ that provide quality product, rather than cheaply made ‘one size fits most’…
He had ample opportunity to "make things right" and chose another path.

I have no doubt that this isn't the last we'll see of His Joeyness, but he's going to have some serious hurdles to overcome before he's able to pull a Phoenix and arise from the ashes.

He had ample opportunity to "make things right" and chose another path.

I have no doubt that this isn't the last we'll see of His Joeyness, but he's going to have some serious hurdles to overcome before he's able to pull a Phoenix and arise from the ashes.
That’s the beauty of the 12 steps, ain’t it? 😂… I would really like to see him succeed… as something other than the proverbial ‘snake oil salesman’… 🤣

Caveat emptor… it bodes well for us all…

Wow, you guys get internet access from jail in the USA ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom