Average Life of the OEM rear MUFFLER/EXHAUST System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

88Retired62

TLCA #8993
SILVER Star
Threads
I’m just curious...Realizing the average life of a OEM muffler/exhaust system depends upon a myriad of driving, non driving, metallurgy and weather related factors, what period of time do you find your OEM System lasting? I’m referring to the rear exhaust/muffler part. I’m the original owner of my daily driver and always garaged 88FJ62. Never replaced the headers or “Y” pipes but find the rear portion of the system lasting an average of 6-7 years. I’ve never used a ceramic coating, but always apply about 6 coats of high temp paint before installing. My problem is always an inside out rust area where the pipe meets the front of the muffler. I’m assuming an internal water condensation area due to my “grocery getter” driving experience. I’ve never discovered an aftermarket Stainless Steel System and my first thought is that a market for such a System could exist, albeit expensive?

I replaced my original muffler assy from cat back after 23 years living at the beach. Never garaged

My truck is original from 87. Arizona and Colorado truck. It could use a refresh for cosmetic reasons but functions perfectly otherwise.

Mine got replaced shortly after 100K miles. Had a Flowmaster muffler put on. This was back when they were only painted and not aluminized, so it only lasted a few years before rusting out. Been through two other mufflers since, so technically I'm on my fourth muffler in my 62's life. Now that Flowmaster aluminizes their mufflers for better corrosion protection, I had another 40 series put on last spring. If I replace it again I might go with a 50 series just for a little quieter ride. I'll go for a loud exhaust if I'm able to go through with the Vortec conversion :hillbilly:

Don’t know when mine went on but the top bend over the axle rusted out and now I’m trying to get a new one from the dealer. Truck lived in New Mexico most of its life prior to me and has 209k now. I’m not sure if this is the original muffler/tail pipe but it is OEM.

Not very long. I've had my 62 for 16 years now and I'm on stock muffler/tailpipe number 2-or is it 3? Pretty sure it's 3. Thanks to this forum I learned that Toyota was obligated to replace your muffler for free if it was stock. When I bought the rig it was in need of muffler so I got OEM and had a muffler shop put it on. Since then I've been to Toyota dealership twice for replacements. Last time they said that a new bulletin from the top says they're off the hook for doing it ever again. 6 or 7 years sounds about right.
As an aside, recently replaced exhaust manifold gasket and OMG what a difference noticed. Should have done it years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom