Average life of cap & rotor in a 3FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
So I'm sure my cap & rotor are way past due to be replaced. Last time I replaced them (and the only time in my 62's life) was about 16 years ago (over 100K miles ago). I'll be replacing them ASAP along with new Iridium plugs and indexing washers. Just curious what the typical life span of an OEM cap and rotor are.

Also AFAIK there are no "better than stock" caps or rotors available, so I'll be sticking to OEM.

they're so cheap, I'd replace mine before every third smog test or so just to be sure

Yeah it looks like ~$50 for the pair from Partsouq

Recommendation is 30K miles. For cheap bastids it's 100K miles. 🤣

Also, FWIW, last time I bought Cap 'n Rotor seems Denso has moved production of those bits to China.

Last edited:
Recommendation is 30K miles. For cheap bastids it's 100K miles. 🤣

Also, FWIW, last time I bought Cap 'n Rotor seems Denso has moved production of those bits to China.
Well that's not cool. I remember Standard made good quality stuff for domestics when I had my Plymouth. Wonder where their stuff is manufactured, and if their stuff for Toyotas is any good. I saw their distributor cap is $10 from Rockauto and the rotor is only $5. Also found a Bosch rotor but weirdly enough that's only $4.

Might have to do some researching.

YEC is made in Japan and half the price for a Cap and Rotor set. Quality is good. Buy the Bosch if it's really a Bosch. But at 4 bux I'd be suspicious. The Japanese-made OE caps (the older brown one) vs the new China-made black caps have a noticeable quality difference. I ordered one and rec'd the unit with a chipped coil terminal tower. Returned it and the replacement was also chipped in another spot. I've got 30 year old OE caps that still look perfect. Returned and bought a Bosch, but Bosch seem to be NLA now.

YEC is made in Japan and half the price for a Cap and Rotor set. Quality is good. Buy the Bosch if it's really a Bosch. But at 4 bux I'd be suspicious. The Japanese-made OE caps (the older brown one) vs the new China-made black caps have a noticeable quality difference. I ordered one and rec'd the unit with a chipped coil terminal tower. Returned it and the replacement was also chipped in another spot. I've got 30 year old OE caps that still look perfect. Returned and bought a Bosch, but Bosch seem to be NLA now.

Oh hey, that's interesting. Pretty sure I had gotten an OEM cap when I did the job last, but the one that's in there is black. The YEC you linked looks visually identical to the Standard I saw on Rockauto, right down to the cylinder numbers by the terminals.

How often do you all replace the plug wires?
I replaced mine again about 16 years ago with a set of larger Accel wires. Did that without changing anything else in my ignition system at the same time. Got maybe a little more power, but not enough to convince me it wasn't just a placebo effect. They're pretty old and are starting to get hard now, so I'm going to order a set of Magnecor wires to replace them with. I think if you're not doing actual ignition upgrades, replacing your OEM wires every 100K miles or so with OEM would be fine.

Followup PSA

I ordered the Standard cap and rotor off Amazon (cheaper from Rockauto by a few bucks, but I was already making an Amazon order) and saw when they came that both parts are in fact made in Japan and appear to be of good quality. A pleasant surprise.

Does anyone Know Why or What is the Reason behind ALL the Early Model Landcruiser

and when i Refer to Early Model here in this thread Pre-FJ80 / or F, 2F , 3FE FJ62 and Older ,

Distrubuter Caps I purchase Directly From My local TOYOTA Dealer , Where i have my SHOP's parts's acct.

Why the Caps are Now Black in Color , A Shiny Black Plastic type material ?

i have had this now with a ;

- 19101-61240

- 19101-61101

- 19101- 45060

@Spike Strip
@OSS
@Spook50
@HemiAlex

Because Denso moved production to China :crybaby:

I don't think the material is a good as the older brown - I find it chips much more easily.

Because Denso moved production to China :crybaby:

I don't think the material is a good as the older brown - I find it chips much more easily.

@Spike Strip speaks the truth ........................

im simply Blown Away Toyota would sell Made In CHINA parts for ANY Landcruiser

SAD...............:confused:

1564704161285.png

@Spike Strip speaks the truth ........................

im simply Blown Away Toyota would sell Made In CHINA parts for ANY Landcruiser

SAD...............:confused:

Why? This is the way modern global manufacturing works.

The Toyota Group has had factories in China for almost 30 years.

It’s not sad; It’s reality

I don't have a problem with Toyota parts MIC, and this may be confirmation bias, but I just don't feel the made outside Japan stuff is of the same quality control....

And truth be told, I'd rather have it Made in China than discontinued...

Why ?

Because in my experience , in Anything i do , from washing dishes to Mowing the lawn

when made In China is involved in any way shape or form , Failure Happens at a greater Rate then NON-made in china .......

i get-it Folks who live in the USA Just Like You and Me Beno , average folks who work for a living , want things

they desire for the least amount of Money out of pocket as possible .

but , I Shop for and am partial to products MADE IN JAPAN

i Discovered PILOT Gel Roller Pens only in the last 2 years or so

They cost the same or Less as Chinese CRAP pens at OFFICE DEPOT and have the Writing and General Use

Performance of YAZAKI Cord Sets

DSCN0050.JPG
DSCN0051.JPG

Last edited:
That's funny. I asked my materials manager at work to order those (in black) 'cuz they write so well...

When I last changed my cap and rotor, about 16 or so years ago, I used Denso that I had gotten from the local stealership. The cap was black, but the rotor was a brownish red. The new cap and rotor from Standard/Intermotor (made in Japan) are both the brownish red color and seem very sturdy and high quality. I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow when I get off work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom