aux. fan in purchased cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rex in bama

SILVER Star
Threads
finally have an old cruiser (91 w/ 90k). have wanted one for years.

here in bama it can get quite hot. i've noticed the aux. fan is not working (should it not be running after the engine if turned off?). is this critical to keeping the engine cool? my temp. gauge sits a little past halfway.

A stocker will not have an auxiliary fan. IF you have one it has been added after-the-fact.

It sure looks stock. It is located on the opposite side of the engine compartment from the battery. Blows into the manifold area. I found a replacement motor (which looks exactly like mine) on the following web-site (under land cruiser, then under cooling system). I apologize for the web-site, and i do prefer OEM parts - just needed something to reference.

http://shop.toyotapartstore.com/?make=TO&year=1991

That is NOT an auxiliary cooling fan. That is a manifold cooling fan that kicks on when the engine is shut down. That ia a left-over from the carbureted 2F. The original idea was to cool the carb off after engine shut-down to prevent fuel percolation. That feature was retained in the 3FE because of the fact that both the intake and exhaust manifolds are on the same side of the engine. That fan plays no role in engine cooling whilst the vehicle is in operation.

D-

thanks for the clarification. learn a new thing everyday. do you see any problems running w/o it?

So, it is not comming on when the engine shuts off them?

does not work at all (even after a long drive w/ the ac on).

Resurection I know...but...my fan doesn't seem to be workin anymore either. It worked this summer, when I got it..but doesn't seem to be working any more. Should this fan come on after the truck is running reguardless of temps/length of running? My engine was still hot after sitting for an hour and a half and only being driven a mile today. Should this carb fan have come on?

The cooling fan in my '91 comes on only if the engine gets very hot after shutdown. It may not be essential but I feel it does no harm to cool off the exhaust manifold area, even more so if the day is hot. There is a test in the FSM, I think you connect the motor directly to your battery, if it runs the problem is elsewhere.

An "auxiliary" fan can be installed in front of the A/C condenser and radiator, it is set to come on with the A/C clutch, a temperature sensor, or manually from the cabin - not OEM but probably my all time favorite mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom