Auto locker in rear of FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is everyone's opinion of putting an auto locker like the Aussie Locker in the rear of my '93 FZJ80? :eek:

Mine didn't come with OEM lockers so I'm lookin' to get some better off-road performance at a lower cost than a pumpkin swap and Downey cable locker conv.

I understand that the longer wheel base of the wagons makes an auto locker behave even better than in an FJ40 (I have an EZ-Locker in my 40 and love it).

What say ye my 'mud bretheren?

A.R.B. it and never look back,
only $200.00 more and you can have it in 4hi too :D

A friend of mine has lock rights I beleive in his Range Rover. Loves them. They do need some special attention when driving. Hard sharp turns can produce a loud "clank" from them. But he actually has them both front and rear. I wouldn't advise putting one on the front because it does make the truck a little squirrelly to drive.

[quote author=4RUNNERJADE link=board=2;threadid=11711;start=msg106733#msg106733 date=1077100912]
A.R.B. it and never look back,
only $200.00 more and you can have it in 4hi too :D
[/quote]What are you smoking? An ARB is going to be at least $500 more than a Lockright. Plus, are you saying that you can't use a Lockright in 4 high? Your entire post confused me. :flipoff2:

I've got a powertrax in the rear of my 92 and it is almost unnoticable unless i punch the gas making a turn then you hear a clank, otherwise it is great, but once i find an elocker for a decent price it'll get replaced, you can't beat $200 and no diff. set up, Brad.

I've got a LR in the rear of my 80. No problems for the past 50k miles. Someday I'm going to replace it with a full Detroit just for peace of mind.

[quote author=JasonH link=board=2;threadid=11711;start=msg106788#msg106788 date=1077118829]
What are you smoking? An ARB is going to be at least $500 more than a Lockright. Plus, are you saying that you can't use a Lockright in 4 high? Your entire post confused me. :flipoff2:
[/quote]

:eek: ok from my buying lockers in the past

1.it's $299.99 vs $599.99 for ARB on sale
ok a extra $100.00 more,it was very late,too.but it's spooled at a flip of a switch! :D and you can turn it off for the ice . 8)

plug ARB into your "on board air" and your done.

2. What i was getting across to you was the E-locker only works in 4LO compared to the ARB will work in 4Hi also,benifit=ARB

this was to make you feel better since you bought a non E-Locker Cruiser. :beer:

p.s. before i ran ARB front and rear in my 85'4Runner
"i used a $alittle lockrer and it was pretty good too,***untill 4x4 ing and needed 1st gear then Revers gear,***that made it dis-in-gage,

but always stayed locked good on the street :eek:
hope this helpes,

remember on the street coast thru the turn then hit the gas or it'll act weird on you .

Not with an auto tranny and fulltime 4WD it won't. The only thing I notice is mild clicking through turns.

Add the CDL switch to a fully locked 80 and you lock them in high or low.

[quote author=4RUNNERJADE link=board=2;threadid=11711;start=msg106901#msg106901 date=1077132211]
ok a extra $100.00 more,it was very late,too.but it's spooled at a flip of a switch! :D and you can turn it off for the ice . 8)

plug ARB into your "on board air" and your done.

2. What i was getting across to you was the E-locker only works in 4LO compared to the ARB will work in 4Hi also,benifit=ARB
[/quote]OK, I was just checking. I agree that if money were no object, ARB is the way to go. But the cost difference is quite a bit.
Just to be argumentative :D a lockright is $240. You used to be able to get ARB's for $600 but the last time I checked, dealer cost was over $600 now. Then you have to pay to have it set up (most people) and you have to add an air source. To add one ARB, pay for the gear setup and buy a compressor you're close to $1K.

That's a lot of :beer: money. :D

A guy I know addressed this problem. He bought a second FZJ WITH factory lockers. He swaped the axles on this Cruiser with the non-locked axles he was running. Then he resold the "parts rig"! :p I mean, how simple is that!! :flipoff2:

Seriousely, though, I love my ARBs (FJ-40)... but I have nothing to compare 'em to. My electric lockers (FZJ) are cool, but the stock suspension and running boards severely limits their use. :-[

Don't put a fulltime locker of any kind up front with AWD

Yeah, I know not to put an auto locker up front. I was only lookin' to put it in the rear.

Thanks for all the advice and experience guys. I imagine I'll get one for now and wait until I am ready to spend $$$ on Air Lockers. I know a used auto locker will always sell quickly.

[quote author=Garth1 link=board=2;threadid=11711;start=msg106991#msg106991 date=1077143930]
A guy I know addressed this problem. He bought a second FZJ WITH factory lockers. He swaped the axles on this Cruiser with the non-locked axles he was running. Then he resold the "parts rig"! :p I mean, how simple is that!! :flipoff2:
[/quote]

Uh, yeah. He also ran into some problems since he was not smart enough even buy the same year cruiser and had to deal with wiring harness issues etc. Too bad the guy he sold the rig to got to deal with all the left over 1/2 fixed issues. Then he had the nerve to send the guy an email with a cc to me so if the guy ever had issues he could contact me direct since I'm close. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :slap:

Stick with selectable lockers.

Aussie Locker still not availible in Australia. :'( And the first ARB Air Locker and its bits is about Australian $2,000(American $1,583.40) and the second Centre is about $1,500(American $1,187.55). :banana:

Save your money so you can afford the good stuff. You spent more money on your LC then you would have a Chevy, etc. So why not wait, save the money and get what you would eventually want anyway, selectable lockers.

Yomama

Because while you're saving your money, the rest of the world is out wheeling :flipoff2:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom