Events/Trails August Event: Hurricane Creek Aug 6-8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just an FYI to all those that used to do the regular HC trips, I learned today that Weaver Bend on the French Broad River is now permanently closed, due to campers regularly trashing it. Pretty disappointing. I figured I'd try and prevent any heartache if you guys decided to head that way. There is a gate up preventing access to the camping spot on the river.
@raanderson77 Thanks for the heads up, that's typically the spot I try to hit up, but in most cases you have to get there early. So, ALL sites are gated? I guess the entrance going in is closed?

Soooo close to being able to join for this, yet so far away. Enjoy!

@raanderson77 Thanks for the heads up, that's typically the spot I try to hit up, but in most cases you have to get there early. So, ALL sites are gated? I guess the entrance going in is closed?
There are sites by the river, along the main road, before the gate. Those spots are small and not very private. All of the big spots on the river bend are inaccessible due to the gate… I was at Martha Sunquist yesterday and snagged the usual spot by the creek. There were quite a few available sites out there.

**The closing info is coming from the Cherokee Forrest Ranger office. I called last week. We arrived last year to find the gate closed, so I called to see if they had opened it back up like they originally promised.

Last edited:
I was on HC this weekend. Only saw one other rig on the trail Friday and the WCF camping spot was available. Saturday, we did HC going opposite direction and passed roughly 30-40 rigs. A majority of that was a club of 15 jeeps that had driven up from South Carolina.

The trail was fairly dry and as easy as I've ever seen it. The long rutted/muddy spot (just after the bus) has been widen by big tires so much it's no longer a challenge.

What is the plan? I have three kids I understand some people are backing out.

I ordered a double cardan driveshaft on June 23rd. I still haven't received it. The driveline shop is in Utah. He says he will have it to me by Thursday. I have my doubts. If he does, I'll install it and Nathan and I will come up. If not, we won't make it. It would be nice to firm up some plans for a meet-up place and time, group meal(s), etc.

I ordered a double cardan driveshaft on June 23rd. I still haven't received it. The driveline shop is in Utah. He says he will have it to me by Thursday. I have my doubts. If he does, I'll install it and Nathan and I will come up. If not, we won't make it. It would be nice to firm up some plans for a meet-up place and time, group meal(s), etc.

Who's you order from?

Tatton's. Tom Woods did not have parts in stock to make it.

Damn. Over a month since order from tattona, wonder if Tom woods has the parts now. Last shaft I ordered from them I received it within a few days it felt like.

Damn. Over a month since order from tattona, wonder if Tom woods has the parts now. Last shaft I ordered from them I received it within a few days it felt like.
Tom Woods no longer has the disclaimer saying that they don't have the parts in stock for the LC double cardan. I assume it can be ordered now. Oh well. I guess I am committed. If Tatton's doesn't come through this week, I'm cancelling and my shaft will be a woody.

I am definitely still down for this weekend and looking forward to it. Will have my 6 year old with me as well

@roadstr6 I have a Tatton that you can borrow or buy. I went with a part-time kit so will likely reinstall the OEM shaft.

Well, for those coming up Friday ( no one let me know when they were planning on arriving except fj40z and Jeff Elliott, from the request in Post#20) we could meet at Sierra Nevada around lunch or a little later, but I'll need a headcount and times to secure a reservation. We could also do that on our way out on Sunday. We've done it both ways, but I'm flexible. If everyone is arriving later in the day, I'd say just meet at the campsite.

Tentatively I think staying at Round Mt is the plan, I don't like assuming some of the spots are open in Martha Sunquist, as we've seen some people squatting there in past trips. Paint Creek camp is always a hard spot to get, but as

I would say the usual group meal on Saturday night would be the plan. Tex/Mex is usually the club go to, unless someone says otherwise.

Sadly now can't even make the day trip portion... next time!

Just spoke to Greg, SouthernCruiser62 is out...

I will be coming from charlotte. Leaving here around 9-9:30 we should be in Asheville around 12:00 it is me and three kids. Coming back sunday if there is anybody left on the group. I am flexible of what to do. It looks like the group will be small enough to move quick. I dont know why i say that since i am always the last one on getting ready.

I should be able to leave the house by noon on Friday, possibly a little earlier and head home on Sunday. Can meet up wherever as well. Gonna be me and my 6 year old.

I was able to get tomorrow off from work so I will be able to leave much earlier in the morning now. Should be able to meet up whenever and wherever

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom