Events/Trails August Event: Hurricane Creek Aug 6-8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks to Brian for organizing and leading this trip. Just three trucks and was really nice to drive in the NC and TN. The kids had a blast they wore out and ready to sleep after a three days adventure !!

Yeah this trip was a blast! Brian did a great job and we were able to cover a lot of ground and still have plenty of chill time in the evenings by the creek or the river.

74F8C847-BF13-4ADA-B3BA-61BA06578F1F.jpeg

3D56ED39-2547-473B-8B8B-38FC98B621F0.jpeg

A20B9C2A-7355-4ABE-8C48-48475FCCF80D.jpeg

A12DD9CB-32BB-4C04-BA4A-3DAB3C4EE851.jpeg

10EFA5DD-2225-4B74-A466-2A9DB11808F9.jpeg

Yeah totally open, lots of other folks camping there as well
So wait, was the Weaver Bend gate open? That looks like the spot. I would be shocked if a government employee gave me bad information. Shocked I tell ya.

So we lucked out on multiple issues this weekend! One, the weather was great, a little humid at first, but all in all great for early August. It cooled off nicely in the evenings. Only one short rainstorm that lasted for about 30 minutes, AFTER we set up camp on Saturday.

Friday, we got a call from Roadstr6 about a traffic backup on 40 near where we were going to be. But, we made the earlier call to start North and work our way south and run HC on Sunday on our way out.

Friday we managed to grab a campsite at Paint Creek, which is a great camp site for $10 a night 2 trucks, if you get one of the walkup sites that you can't reserve in advance (Unless you really plan far enough ahead). Since HC is more about the flexibility and camping where you end the day, we decided to play a little upstream from Dudley Falls, and the kids were happy. Just note, the kids outnumbered the adults on this trip!

Saturday we headed up Hurricane Gap Road and checked out a few nice vantage points, checking gates as we went (No Dice). Heading into Hot springs we decided either to play at the Rec area on River Road near Hot Springs or check into Weaver's Bend and see if they were open. Luckily it was, we were flexible as Round Mt. was our possible fall back point. So, we rolled past the first campsite, where we've stayed at a few times, to check out the sites on the point. The first campsite was available, so we setup, and the kids played in the river.

No trains went through either at dinner, nor the 3 am screeching of metal on metal as the train makes that slow turn. If anyone can sleep through that you're set!

FJ40z had to get home earlier on Sunday then originally planned, so we parted ways coming out of Weaver's Bend, and Roxx and I headed up past Del Rio, Round Mt, Max Patch, and out Hurricane Creek. Past one Jeep and 2 bikes on our way out, and two jackasses in Jeeps trying to climb the hill at the campsite near the creek.

Hurricane Creek was extremely rutted in spots, and slick clay, so much so that I though the stock LX with radials was going to receive a few kisses on the driver side at a few points, but other than a few drags of the hitch, and a few scrapes on the lower running boards, no issues. Roxx lost some brakes midway in, possibly due to heat and water, but regained them so that no trail repair was needed.

Ella and I thought about doing Buzzards Roost on the way out, but decided against it, and headed home to fight the sporadic traffic backups along 40 the entire way (and the never ending road work in Statesville).

We missed you Dave!

Yeah totally open, lots of other folks camping there as well
That's great news. Pisses me off that the ranger confidently told me it was closed for good. I was up that way last weekend and wanted to camp there, but didn't bother going that direction. Thanks for the update.

That's great news. Pisses me off that the ranger confidently told me it was closed for good. I was up that way last weekend and wanted to camp there, but didn't bother going that direction. Thanks for the update.
Maybe it will be soon, all the off shoot trails were gated off pretty much everywhere we went. I hadn’t been out there in almost 5 years and was really surprised at how many closed gates we saw. I’d definitely say to go while you still can.

That being said that campsite was probably the cleanest I've seen it even though someone decided to set a standing tree stump on fire and left it smoldering. Our 30 min. rainstorm corrected that, but we would have made sure it was out if not.

We had a visitor early on checking to see if they could camp there, and then another around 3am or so...:mad:

Sounds like a really nice weekend; the weather was beautiful (and much needed) in town so I'm sure it was glorious there. No WCF? I went out there recently and they have graded so much of it, I fear traffic will increase. @forrest5000 tagging you for HC conditions, if you were still considering taking your grandson.

Beautiful weather all around! No, I typically stay away from Wolf Creek as we had one instance where some guy was shooting a pistol out there while we were down at the falls. We'll go to Dudley Falls which, even though it's usually busy, is more fun to play in.

Old Pic of Old Guys playing in the water :)

1628606326709.png

Some pictures. I detached my fingers from the phone. So i do t have many picture. Kids started with a lot of energy. Some guy teaching his kid how to skip a rock.

7E6891DA-1DFC-44C8-85C9-5A88FCBEFB9E.jpeg

BE3B6644-DC64-42AB-BF5B-149A4808988C.jpeg

79484E8B-AF15-4A62-9203-37AC8DC3B747.jpeg

FA6D47C9-8CCB-41BF-A4DC-40FE7C05568F.jpeg

9BCAEA31-6E18-4509-991A-11948B35950F.jpeg

Kids on the way back.

7D7B68DE-716E-44B2-86EE-8049312D4B1D.jpeg

FF286B8B-F83B-413C-875B-9D8D03FD5CCE.jpeg

5681548A-F91B-4DE5-92C4-396B4520B489.jpeg

Beautiful weather all around! No, I typically stay away from Wolf Creek as we had one instance where some guy was shooting a pistol out there while we were down at the falls. We'll go to Dudley Falls which, even though it's usually busy, is more fun to play in.

Old Pic of Old Guys playing in the water :)

View attachment 2755207
I had an exact scenario to that in Barnardsville side of Pisgah a couple months ago. Guy even parked next to my truck, as I was only one there. Mad is an understatement. Dudley is nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom