Are these LC rear springs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm not sure if maybe my 1999 LX already had LC springs put in the rear because the ones I got from a forum member didn't look any beefier than what was in there.

This photo is of what I pulled out, other pictures of AHC springs seem thinner with less coils. I haven't checked pressures yet

20201022_125237.jpg

20201022_125231.jpg

looks like ahc springs to me. with nothing to compare them to in the picture they look thinner than stock lc springs

I should have taken pictures of what I put in, but they looked identical to me. If they were thicker it was very slight, and the number of coils looked the same. I've been searching the forum trying to find a picture of LX470 springs beside land cruiser ones.

Last edited:

Found this thread with a photo of the springs side by side. It looks like the spring thickness is similar the LC springs are just slightly longer. I'm pretty sure the replacement springs were a little bit longer so these should be from land cruiser that I just put in. I was just expecting them to be a lot beefier.

I'll update when I get updated pressures. I was at 6.6 front and 7.1 rear when I checked about 6 months ago after adding my front bumper and making adjustments

OK, so I found this thread:

"I measured the thickness of the used LC100 coils and the LX470.
The LC100 are around 16.5 mm thick, the LX470 around 12.3mm. "

........the ones I have are 12 mm so they were not LC stock rear springs. Dammit.

Hoping someone on the forum didn't mislead you...

Well, no I don't believe. He said in the thread he had OE springs off a land cruiser with AHC, and he could send me those springs since he didn't end up using them. I read that too fast apparently and took it to mean he had the OEM springs off a land cruiser for his AHC vehicle. I didn't even know land cruisers came with AHC as an option.

Although I did ask a second time if these were off a land cruiser and he said yes ( but I did not realize it was a land cruiser that had an AHC suspension so they are the same springs I had). I made it pretty obvious in the thread what I was looking for, but it's on me because technically he was correct, these were springs off a Land Cruiser. S\......he has offered to refund me if I ship them back so I'm going to check pressures and see if it affected them at all before deciding. It did make my lean go away

Last edited:
I'm not sure if maybe my 1999 LX already had LC springs put in the rear because the ones I got from a forum member didn't look any beefier than what was in there.

This photo is of what I pulled out, other pictures of AHC springs seem thinner with less coils. I haven't checked pressures yet

View attachment 2473080

View attachment 2473081

View attachment 2473080

View attachment 2473081

@thebeedeegee -- You already have this figured out.

I had started this reply post a few days ago, so I have added the pics and posted it anyway -- in case it is of used to someone else who comes this way ….

The pictures below show the stock standard AHC rear springs installed at the factory on my Right Hand Drive HDJ100R-GNAEZQ in June 2006. [They were soft – way overdue for replacement 13 years later in October 2019 at 192,456 kilometres (119,586 miles). KING KTRS-79 AHC rear springs were used as the replacements].

My original stock springs are Toyota Part No. 48231-6A770 (“purple patch” visible), length 485 millimetres, bar diameter ~12 millimetres. I understand them to be the common rear spring fitted to both LH and RH sides of the LX470 vehicles and the much rarer LC100-with-AHC vehicles, for the Australian market and maybe some other markets.

In US and some other Left Hand Drive markets, a slightly longer (500 millimetres) AHC spring appears to be specified for the left hand side and has a different part number. Apparently this is to compensate for the driver and most of the fuel weight being on the same side in Left Hand Drive vehicles.

There are a variety of different “stock” AHC springs mentioned in the parts catalogues and in IH8MUD with slightly different part numbers and “paint patch” markings – see for example:

Coil springs for AHC -- @uHu at post #9 and onwards

All of these AHC springs are lightweight, spindly looking things and with a smaller bar diameter of around 12 millimetres (because a portion of the vehicle weight is carried by the AHC system).

Stock rear springs for conventional suspension (non-AHC) 100 series are visibly larger, with bar diameter around 16 millimetres, with stronger and larger aftermarket versions also available. For comparison, KING KTRS-79 springs for AHC are reported to have a bar diameter of 14.5 millimetres.

Differences in rear spring rates have been quoted previously:

Updating AHC system -- @PADDO at post #57 and onwards

AHC: 95 pounds/inch

KING: 130 pounds/inch

Non-AHC: 170 pounds/inch

AHC Rear Springs - standard on HDJ100R-GNAEZQ.jpg

AHC Rear Springs -- Toyota Part No. 48231-6A770 (“purple patch” visible) -- pic by @IndroCruise

AHC Rear Springs Bar Diameter - standard on HDJ100R-GNAEZQ.jpg

AHC Rear Spring Bar Diameter -- Toyota Part No. 48231-6A770 -- pic by @IndroCruise

Comparison -- AHC and Non-AHC Springs - Pic by PabloCruise.JPG

Comparison -- AHC and Non-AHC "100 series" rear springs -- Pic by @PabloCruise

Last edited:
@thebeedeegee -- You already have this figured out.

I had started this reply post a few days ago, so I have added the pics and posted it anyway -- in case it is of used to someone else who comes this way ….

The pictures below show the stock standard AHC rear springs installed at the factory on my Right Hand Drive HDJ100R-GNAEZQ in June 2006. [They were soft – way overdue for replacement 13 years later in October 2019 at 192,456 kilometres (119,586 miles). KING KTRS-79 AHC rear springs were used as the replacements].

My original stock springs are Toyota Part No. 48231-6A770 (“purple patch” visible), length 485 millimetres, bar diameter ~12 millimetres. I understand them to be the common rear spring fitted to both LH and RH sides of the LX470 vehicles and the much rarer LC100-with-AHC vehicles, for the Australian market and maybe some other markets.

In US and some other Left Hand Drive markets, a slightly longer (500 millimetres) AHC spring appears to be specified for the left hand side and has a different part number. Apparently this is to compensate for the driver and most of the fuel weight being on the same side in Left Hand Drive vehicles.

There are a variety of different “stock” AHC springs mentioned in the parts catalogues and in IH8MUD with slightly different part numbers and “paint patch” markings – see for example:

Coil springs for AHC

All of these AHC springs are lightweight, spindly looking things and with a smaller bar diameter of around 12 millimetres (because a portion of the vehicle weight is carried by the AHC system).

Stock rear springs for conventional suspension (non-AHC) 100 series are visibly larger, with bar diameter around 16 millimetres, with stronger and larger aftermarket versions also available. For comparison, KING KTRS-79 springs for AHC are reported to have a bar diameter of 14.5 millimetres.

Differences in rear spring rates have been quoted previously:

Updating AHC system

AHC: 95 pounds/inch

KING: 130 pounds/inch

Non-AHC: 170 pounds/inch

View attachment 2475424
AHC Rear Springs -- Toyota Part No. 48231-6A770 (“purple patch” visible) -- pic by @IndroCruise

View attachment 2475425
AHC Rear Spring Bar Diameter -- Toyota Part No. 48231-6A770 -- pic by @IndroCruise

View attachment 2475426
Comparison -- AHC and Non-AHC "100 series" rear springs -- Pic by @PabloCruise

Thanks for all that info man. I was totally unaware before an Land Cruiser came with AHC so I knew something wasn't right when I pulled the springs out. They did bring my pressures down a bit (mine were obviously more worn) but I'm adding a rear bumper pretty soon and would like to match some LC springs to LC torsion bars to better carry my front bumper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom