Are OEM rear control arm bushings available for a '99 LX? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at refurbishing the rear suspension on my LX. I would like to go oem if possible. I've found d everything on my list LC shocks (the AHC is long gone and has been replaced with the Strutmasters kit), sway bar links and bushings, and control arm bolts are in my Camelback Toyota shopping cart. What doesn't show is upper, lower, and lateral control arm bushings. Are these not available separately? What would be the best alterative?

Thanks,
Shawn

Shawn - I think you're going to have to buy the entire upper/lower control arm. When I looked the bushings weren't available by themselves.

As said, the OE bushings are not available separately for the 100. However, the LCA bushings are available for the 80 series. The outer diameter of the bushing is the same but the mounting bolts are larger for the 80. You can drill out the mounts to accommodate the larger bolts. The 80 upper bushings are also available but I don't know the differences in bolt sizes.

I have a bunch of new OEM 80 series bushings for the LCA's, complete with OEM bolts & nuts. I can make you a deal. PM me, if interested.

May also try Super Pro for their kits, I got my steering rack bushings from them and I'm happy with the result. I know they diagram quite a bit of kits for the cruiser. Good luck!

So when it comes to poly bushings are there differences in the companies, yes they seem to use different colors but in firmness and such has anyone noticed substantial differences.

I have Whiteline for my steering rack and am thinking about going that route for the rear bushings also to satisfy my OCD, :D

Slee has some available.

Ran the poly/'thane rear UCA and LCA bushings long enough to not like them. They will reduce articulation (good for a road rig though) and they, unlike OEM, are not a molded, integrated bushing, crush-sleeve and outer sleeve. What happens over time: The 'thane bushing becomes out of round/distorted because of the lack of flex in the material. I probably have photos of mine somewhere ...

For static applications like the steering rack 'thane bushings makes sense; been running mine without issue since the new rack was installed 8-years ago. But for me I prefer OEM bushings for rear UCA and LCA. As always YMMV and just my 2 cents after using them extensively.

So I have been using 80-Series OEM rear UCA and LCA bushings on mine (103k miles on them now) in my custom arms; 18mm bore/mounting bolts. For someone with a lathe you could make 14mm ID/18mm OD crush sleeves to utilize 80-Series OEM bushings yet retain 100-Series M14 bolts if you didn't want to drill out existing mounts to 18mm. I did this a number of years ago for a few guys ... works.

Ran the poly/'thane rear UCA and LCA bushings long enough to not like them. They will reduce articulation (good for a road rig though) and they, unlike OEM, are not a molded, integrated bushing, crush-sleeve and outer sleeve. What happens over time: The 'thane bushing becomes out of round/distorted because of the lack of flex in the material. I probably have photos of mine somewhere ...

For static applications like the steering rack 'thane bushings makes sense; been running mine without issue since the new rack was installed 8-years ago. But for me I prefer OEM bushings for rear UCA and LCA. As always YMMV and just my 2 cents after using them extensively.

So I have been using 80-Series OEM rear UCA and LCA bushings on mine (103k miles on them now) in my custom arms; 18mm bore/mounting bolts. For someone with a lathe you could make 14mm ID/18mm OD crush sleeves to utilize 80-Series OEM bushings yet retain 100-Series M14 bolts if you didn't want to drill out existing mounts to 18mm. I did this a number of years ago for a few guys ... works.

How do the sleeves work when Toyota idea was to clamp the bonded metal sleeve of the bushing to rotate with the bushing resistance? By using a sleeve does that eliminate the ability to clamp the bushing in position?

Phil, if I'm correct in understanding your question, the reducing shim bushings we made just occupies space to permit the M14 100-Series mount bolt to be utilized with the 80-Series bushings which are currently available from Toyota. These sleeves/shim bushings were slightly shorter in width than the bushing itself so no interference or compression under torque of the mount bolts; therefore you still need to "clock" or torque the bolts with the suspension at rest height for best longevity.

Phil, if I'm correct in understanding your question, the reducing shim bushings we made just occupies space to permit the M14 100-Series mount bolt to be utilized with the 80-Series bushings which are currently available from Toyota. These sleeves/shim bushings were slightly shorter in width than the bushing itself so no interference or compression under torque of the mount bolts; therefore you still need to "clock" or torque the bolts with the suspension at rest height for best longevity.

The short sleeve make for a perfect answer to my question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom