Are 06-07 Cruisers affected by the Pin 60 problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Red Beard

Cruisin'
Threads
Website
cruisin4parts.com
IMG_7324.JPG

IMG_7322.JPG

IMG_7323.JPG

I've been doing some reading and a lot of my symptoms point to a Pin 60 problem. It's consistent with the prius documents as well. I can repair or try to replace with this from Aliexpress.

My question is, are 2006 Cruisers affected by the same Pin 60 problem? I thought Toyota fixed the Pin 60 problem in 2005 after the TSB went out (see attached).

Here are the symptoms my cruiser is having:
  • Shows "Audio Off" even though radio can still play, AM and FM work.
  • Climate control buttons below screen are inoperable.
  • Pressing CLIMATE shows the "check the connection of the air conditioner" screen
  • Left side buttons barely work, non responsive or slow.
  • No reverse camera
  • Info screen doesn't show MPG, speed, etc.
  • No outside temp or interior temp shown In that dark plastic area below the nav. Clock is visible. Security light blinks when its supposed to.
  • Dash has no problems, coolant temp, etc all work.
Not sure if this is helpful but my Nav never worked since I've had the cruiser - it just loads indefinitely. I've ignored it anyway. I have a Grom VLINE, and I just got back from a 2.5 hour trip in the hot sun and random heavy rains, but the cabin is dry everywhere I can see (never had any issues with water in the cabin)

I am aware that it may not be a PIN 60 problem, it could also be the AC Amplifier, the Gateway ECU, or a "fuse issue".

Pretty frustrating after having done a lot of AC work to get it finally blowing consistently cold. It's currently stuck on the lowest fan speed on 67*F or so.

Attachments

• EL002-05.pdf
    111.1 KB · Views: 77
Last summer I had a similar issue on my 2004. Mine was stuck on auto, 74 degrees. I had the great idea to disconnect the battery to hopefully reset everything but that just made it completely inop. My issue turned out to be a bad gateway ECU - neither a new MFD or AC amp worked. Been over a year now and all good. God luck.

Last summer I had a similar issue on my 2004. Mine was stuck on auto, 74 degrees. I had the great idea to disconnect the battery to hopefully reset everything but that just made it completely inop. My issue turned out to be a bad gateway ECU - neither a new MFD or AC amp worked. Been over a year now and all good. God luck.
I saw you mention that on a couple threads. Is there anyway to test it? I’m thinking I might as well try the fix the pin 60 issue and then try the gateway.

Do you know what the gateway does? Also, what is the part number?

I'm not sure there's a way to test the ECU. While mine was at the shop, someone brought in a GX470 and they swapped the part to test and it worked on mine. I'm not sure what it does exactly and don't think they go bad very often. The order of things checked on mine were:

1: MFD (installed new head unit)
2: AC amp (bought working used one off ebay and had dealership install)
3: Gateway ECU Part #89111-60030 (several on ebay)

I hope this helps, it was a frustrating process for me last summer but ultimately resolved.

I'm not sure there's a way to test the ECU. While mine was at the shop, someone brought in a GX470 and they swapped the part to test and it worked on mine. I'm not sure what it does exactly and don't think they go bad very often. The order of things checked on mine were:

I hope this helps, it was a frustrating process for me last summer but ultimately resolved.
Dumb question but where is the gateway ECU located?

Looking at PartSouq and my production date of June 2005, I think I need a different part. I need 89111-60040. In that PartSouq diagram, it sits right behind the MFD unit somewhere.

This part appears to be very uncommon. Plus, this post will be the first mention of that part on Mud.

I bought an AC amplifier but it was the wrong one :bang: I need the one with the B in the part number (88650-60B60)

I'm going to do some more digging. The fact that no one else has mentioned the Gateway ECU part number and that its hard to find, I'm wondering if its something else.

Last edited:
Probably an easy yes here but just in case.

Did you check the fuse box on the passenger side kick panel? 10 amp or 15 amp if I recall correctly. The label is on there for "radio" and solved backup camera, nav and audio...

Probably an easy yes here but just in case.

Did you check the fuse box on the passenger side kick panel? 10 amp or 15 amp if I recall correctly. The label is on there for "radio" and solved backup camera, nav and audio...
Actually I haven’t done that yet. I’ll take a look tomorrow morning 😅

I have an odd feeling that might be your huckleberry.
Looks like the fuses are good. I checked the passenger Radio 10, and the driver side A/C fuse.

I pulled the radio out again and checked all the wires, all look good.

I will say, I can’t seem to find where a network gateway would plug into back there. I saw the AC amp pretty plainly but the rest just seemed like part of the radio. Last update, I saw a new message on the screen: “external system is not connected”.

Looks like the fuses are good. I checked the passenger Radio 10, and the driver side A/C fuse.

I pulled the radio out again and checked all the wires, all look good.

I will say, I can’t seem to find where a network gateway would plug into back there. I saw the AC amp pretty plainly but the rest just seemed like part of the radio. Last update, I saw a new message on the screen: “external system is not connected”.
Dang, sorry to hear that.

And here is the System Check Mode screen.

Everything is NCON, i'm assuming that is "Not Connected".

IMG_7326.jpg

Just figure I'd mention in case this helps anyone and to document:

This condition started the day I got home after a 3 hour road trip through hot sun and heavy rains (not sure if related)

The day after I noticed it was broken, the temperature and AC controls suddenly came back for a second when driving in the city (maybe all the pot holes?) and then went back to being broken. I thought it may be a loose connection so I tried wiggling all of the connectors behind the radio this morning and it didn't make a difference.

I have attempted the Nav ECU reset by taking it apart, removing the ribbon and pressing the momentary switch. No affect.

No affect from resetting MFD codes either.

All fuses looked good, including the related fuses: Radio, A/C, ECU-IG1, ECU-B1, ECU-B2.

I don't have any of my tools since I'm on vacation but I'm leaning towards something needed to be replaced.

If someone knows where the Gateway ECU is on a 2006, that'd be great to know I can't find it o_O

Also, this thread shows a user who had the same symptoms as me, but the Nav ECU was the fix. I'll see if I can find a cheap one to replace with. I've always had an inoperable nav since getting the truck in 2020. It just said "System loading..." since I've had it. Maybe it finally gave it up completely? Not sure. The DVD does not eject or doesn't even sound like it spins.

Last edited:
I had the dealership replace mine last summer and I believe they told me it's behind the head unit. Sorry I can't be more specific. This post on mud shows it under passenger side dash area:

Just figure I'd mention in case this helps anyone and to document:

This condition started the day I got home after a 3 hour road trip through hot sun and heavy rains (not sure if related)

The day after I noticed it was broken, the temperature and AC controls suddenly came back for a second when driving in the city (maybe all the pot holes?) and then went back to being broken. I thought it may be a loose connection so I tried wiggling all of the connectors behind the radio this morning and it didn't make a difference.

I have attempted the Nav ECU reset by taking it apart, removing the ribbon and pressing the momentary switch. No affect.

No affect from resetting MFD codes either.

All fuses looked good, including the related fuses: Radio, A/C, ECU-IG1, ECU-B1, ECU-B2.

I don't have any of my tools since I'm on vacation but I'm leaning towards something needed to be replaced.

If someone knows where the Gateway ECU is on a 2006, that'd be great to know I can't find it o_O

Also, this thread shows a user who had the same symptoms as me, but the Nav ECU was the fix. I'll see if I can find a cheap one to replace with. I've always had an inoperable nav since getting the truck in 2020. It just said "System loading..." since I've had it. Maybe it finally gave it up completely? Not sure. The DVD does not eject or doesn't even sound like it spins.
Where are you on vacation, perhaps there is a cruiser member local that can lend tools, if you are in Florida I can supply whatever you need.

I had the dealership replace mine last summer and I believe they told me it's behind the head unit. Sorry I can't be more specific. This post on mud shows it under passenger side dash area:

Thanks for sharing that! That's a new diagram, I haven't seen that yet. I'll take a look in that area.

I've seen the Gateway behind the headunit in a photo from the MFD repair thread on a 2004 here. Here's the photo showing the gateway behind the headunit with the green "13" on it:
IMG_7008.jpg

But here is the diagram from PartSouq for my model, showing something square-ish near the head unit, but nothing is there when I open it up.
Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 10.15.38 AM.png

June 2005 Manufacture date computer diagram with the Network Gateway (89111-60040) highlighted.

IMG_7473.jpg

Behind my head unit, nothing is there except the heater. Ignore the aftermarket Grom wires. I have those disconnected until I can solve this issue.

Last edited:
HOWEVER, I have managed to find the fabled Network Gateway. It's on the Driver Side, above the foot rest.

IMG_7475.jpg

IMG_7481.jpg

Which looks exactly like the 04-09 Prius Network Gateway:
Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 11.29.43 AM.png

My part number: 89111-60040
Prius Partnumber: 89111-47030

So I may try one of these Prius Network Gateways to see if it works. Part numbers are different but they look exactly the same, down to the mount and plug.

But I do wonder what's above the network gateway in the footwell. It looks like the Network Gateway's wires and the other thing go to the same loom. 🤔

I don't know if I'd try the prius gateway.
for 20$ sure but if it doesn't work I'd be reluctant to blame to OEM gateway.

on 2006-7 I really think it's easier to take the pass seat out and unplug everything under there. ALL.
un plug the rear seat audio and if you have the roof screen, SAT receiver/transmitter behind the rear passenger side trim panel. And of course, any GROM, BT, bt toy or whatever behind the OEM screen.

Since there are so few 06-07 we wouldn't know the prevalence of pin 60 reporting.

The 30-50 dollar wiring book is almost a must if you want to chase the wiring back there.

if you reduce it to the lowest count of items/equipment required to make the HVAC work it's easier.

screen, oem stereo, gateway, AC amp, theft/clock ecu-circuit board and heater integration panel.

I think in order of importance or priority checking I'd go
fuses
screen
AC amp
gateway
wiring

this is about all I can suggest at the moment.

New Nav ECU did the trick! :steer:

I ordered the GX470 Nav ECU for $120. I ended up getting the same exact part number I already had installed (86841-50090). I thought I was going to receive (86841-0E010).

I did attach the Prius Network Gateway before I got the Nav ECU, obviously no change. I am afraid to plug in the Prius Network Gateway now that I have a functioning system tho.

I've never had a functioning Nav ECU since getting the cruiser in 2020, so its fun to tap around in it. I swear my screen is more responsive than it was before.

IMG_7567.jpg

The AC controls are back!

IMG_7565.jpg

(GX470 replacement on top, my defective one on bottom. My unit was pretty beat up...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom