ARB on an LX470 (Turn Signal Clarification) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I know this has been covered but I can't seem to find a good source of information. Maybe I'm not searching the right terms.

I ordered the ARB 03+ bumper for my LX and plan to install it next friday. I need to figure out how to get the turn signals converted my marker lights.

I don't plan on buying new housings and I'd like to do this a simply and cheap as possible. Can I just use the pigtail from the stock turn signal harness, extend the wires to the marker, then modify the marker housing to fit the 3 filament pigtail?

Can someone clarify this for me so I can order parts if I have to before next friday.

Thanks!

I used the Led turn signal/ marker light assemblies that ARB sells. I think its part ARB1234 or something like that. They have a 3 wire harness for markers and turn signals. IIRC there are 4 leds for the park/marker light and the rest are for the turn signal.

I used the Led turn signal/ marker light assemblies that ARB sells. I think its part ARB1234 or something like that. They have a 3 wire harness for markers and turn signals. IIRC there are 4 leds for the park/marker light and the rest are for the turn signal.

Ahh okay. Thanks for the info! I'll have to order those.

Can I just use the pigtail from the stock turn signal harness, extend the wires to the marker, then modify the marker housing to fit the 3 filament pigtail?
Yes.... you can file/modify the LX corner lamps to accept the dual filament bulb housing... or switch to LC corner lamps. I prefer this method over using the ARB turn signals as it provides better visibility to other drivers.

Yes.... you can file/modify the LX corner lamps to accept the dual filament bulb housing... or switch to LC corner lamps. I prefer this method over using the ARB turn signals as it provides better visibility to other drivers.

So do you have the corner housing act as a marker and turn or just a turn signal?

I'm confused as to how you would wire the corner lamp to be both a marker and turn signal lamp?

You have 2 wires going into the corner lamp stock (ground/power only when parking lights are on) then you have two wires into the stock turn signal in the bumper (ground and power only when you turn the signal on). So how do you combine those into one harness to act as a marker and turn signal? Maybe this isn't possible and you have to use the lamp in the ARB bumper as either the signal or marker?

Combining the two lamps into one means they share one ground... and so 3 terminals total. Your new corner lamp with have a dual filament, amber colored bulb.

You said cheapest method, and so I'm assuming you want to use the stock LX corner lamps. The 3 terminal connector is larger than the 2 terminal connector. It just takes a file to enlarge the opening on your LX housing but you have to do it to accommodate the light bulb housing tabs.

LX470 Turn Signal/Marker Light Conversion Help

Last edited:
Okay. I was under the impression that the marker 12v would override the flash 12v and just stay lit and not flash.

Thanks for the info!

I finished doing this tonight. Total cost to make my corner lamps act as turn signals and marker lights was $5.15

I took a chance and ordered these sockets off of amazon:

Amazon.com: uxcell® 2 x 1157 Plastic Wired Harness Adpater Socker for Brake Lamp: Automotive

Then I just had to modify the lamps to accept the socket. I used a dremel with cut off wheel, sanding, and diamond engraving tip bits to make the cutout.

Here are some pics.

IMG_20160513_202035.jpg
IMG_20160513_204128.jpg

IMG_20160513_204116.jpg

IMG_20160513_233916.jpg

IMG_20160513_223944.jpg

The way I wired it was, used the ground from the original corner marker light harness (white with black stripe) and then tested to figure out which of the new socket + wires went to the more dim part of the bulb. I then connected the dim + wire to the original marker light +. Then, I disconnected the turn signal wires, undid the zip tie that holds them from underneath, and cut the plug off. I connected the + from those wires to the remaining + on the socket.

Now I have turns and markers in the corner lamps and don't have to worry about visibility from the side with the ARB.

I finished doing this tonight. Total cost to make my corner lamps act as turn signals and marker lights was $5.15

I took a chance and ordered these sockets off of amazon:

Amazon.com: uxcell® 2 x 1157 Plastic Wired Harness Adpater Socker for Brake Lamp: Automotive

Then I just had to modify the lamps to accept the socket. I used a dremel with cut off wheel, sanding, and diamond engraving tip bits to make the cutout.

Here are

The way I wired it was, used the ground from the original corner marker light harness (white with black stripe) and then tested to figure out which of the new socket + wires went to the more dim part of the bulb. I then connected the dim + wire to the original marker light +. Then, I disconnected the turn signal wires, undid the zip tie that holds them from underneath, and cut the plug off. I connected the + from those wires to the remaining + on the socket.

Now I have turns and markers in the corner lamps and don't have to worry about visibility from the side with the ARB.

Did these adapters work for you without any issues? I ordered a set of clear LC depo corners from Russia via ebay that just arrived and want to move the LX turns signals there even though I still have the stock bumper. I'll match them with 1157 chrome bulbs

Turn Signal Light Toyota Land Cruiser 2000 - 05 White Marker Parking Corner Pair | eBay

was thinking about using adapters instead of cutting the factory wiring:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QF56ZJE

Last edited:
I followed this thread exactly while converting my marker lights and it worked perfectly. You do need to cut off the factory bulb socket housing and grind it flush to the wider shoulder. Once flushed and smooth so that the o-ring on the bulb socket can seal properly you need to dremel out the notches for the 4 wings of the bulb socket. I cut and re-soldered the factory wiring. Super simple once you get after it. Just make sure you have a dremel with various bits.

I did this mod last week. Actually pretty straightforward.

I used these sockets:

Sockets

For wiring:
Black and white ground wire from the original corner/marker light to the black ground wire on the socket.
Green positive wire from the original corner/marker light to the blue wire on the socket.
Green positive wire from the turn signals from the bumper to the red wire on the socket.

Bought some 1157A bulbs from Autozone.

Cheap fix minus some of the Dremel bits I had to buy.

A nice enhancement that I bought from Owl Expedition is a set of Toyota-style waterproof connector plugs. I set up the wiring to be plug and play should I decide to change bumpers or need to remove it at some point in the future.

Produce link below.

1615290666262.png

From what I can remember from my front end swap, I spliced into the factory turn signal in the bumper, wired it to LC corner lights, and wired the factory turn signal to ARB's connector. I'll snap some pictures soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom