ARB Bumper and license plate mounting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Somewhere I've seen a license plate frame that clips over the rollers of the fairlead. Problem with that is it makes it way too easy for someone to walk away with your plate and, depending on your trails and habits, bouncing the front bumper off something seems an all too easy way to leave it laying on the trail.

Screwdriver is not exactly a hard tool to carry if one wants your plate. Who would really want to steal a front plate anyway. The registration stickers on the rear. As far as falling off while wheeling, I just take mine off while airing down.
1164.jpg

I have the same problem as the original person who posted.

You offered a great solution. I think I will drill mine out as well.

BTW - love the mounted bottle opener on the ARB bumper - where did you get that?

I have the same problem as the original person who posted.

You offered a great solution. I think I will drill mine out as well.

BTW - love the mounted bottle opener on the ARB bumper - where did you get that?

The previous owner put the bottle opener on there. It is used often:beer:

Most of the winch bumpers come with the licernse plate mounting bracket included. Did you buy it used?

Here's a pic of the bracket that should have come with the bumper.

View attachment 496547

For those of you who have the bracket, this is what I did.
1. Remove the bracket
2. Bring it to the outside (front of the bumper)
3. Flip it over
4. Bolt it back into the same hole
5. Now re-attach the plate using the plates top holes
This will locate the plate very low and will not interfere with lighting.

Pictures:
new%20012.JPG

new%20013.JPG

Last edited:
Like others have said, if your running a fairlead, use mag light clips. Bolt them to your front plate then simply snap them on.
BgRkV9nYOxKkdi6dFoZX7205PVaXYDWlX5qqhXFOP8wQR9X6Lc-mdJfyCna_P3aSAE8PX_rrZ5bi3tCzrG3L-Fgvk9_fVSdIZV7wPD-4Oma5POCGm2kekebLTujjeVpXRO39ZEbJZxnT6HUO23rsB075scHyLZMsEhgbfQiUgNIOGH1DwuaRDb9Pz4B9J46yMt9qV8CQydVtTeI8UWx6ttV5T9VudauNIO60tncZi3iON8gzoH9IdKrH7QuIJCshnESo6rVbYCVxhInlUNVt4RodJ3k2nsFd1-r9G5WpLlbeCRk08so-

6mounted.jpg

I use this on my LX and it survives quite well in the jungles of San Francisco (but remove before entering real jungles).

air craft cable safety line

Like others have said, if your running a fairlead, use mag light clips. Bolt them to your front plate then simply snap them on.
BgRkV9nYOxKkdi6dFoZX7205PVaXYDWlX5qqhXFOP8wQR9X6Lc-mdJfyCna_P3aSAE8PX_rrZ5bi3tCzrG3L-Fgvk9_fVSdIZV7wPD-4Oma5POCGm2kekebLTujjeVpXRO39ZEbJZxnT6HUO23rsB075scHyLZMsEhgbfQiUgNIOGH1DwuaRDb9Pz4B9J46yMt9qV8CQydVtTeI8UWx6ttV5T9VudauNIO60tncZi3iON8gzoH9IdKrH7QuIJCshnESo6rVbYCVxhInlUNVt4RodJ3k2nsFd1-r9G5WpLlbeCRk08so-

6mounted.jpg

I use this on my LX and it survives quite well in the jungles of San Francisco (but remove before entering real jungles).

How about an aircraft cable line for security?

Hinge?

Screwdriver is not exactly a hard tool to carry if one wants your plate. Who would really want to steal a front plate anyway. The registration stickers on the rear. As far as falling off while wheeling, I just take mine off while airing down.

How about a hinge on the top and then a magnet on the bottom that will stick to the bar above?

How about an aircraft cable line for security?

Since the front plate has no tags in California and its been on the truck since 2007, I'm not too worried about it. I did once find the plate cocked eyed due to a parking impact but Im sure the other guy faired much worse.

If its an issue, maybe a hose clamp on one side would work. Or even a thumb screw hose clamp. Like this:

6135_pd1145521_1.jpg

Oh, gee whiz!!!

Ok, now I want to invent one that does all that and doubles as a step stool, lounge chair, barbeque rack, camp table, diaper changing/game dressing rack and has surround sound.... :p

Last edited:
Front ARB with Warn 10K.jpg

ok, need some help. trying to mount the US plate bracket using the bag of bolts, but the M6 bolts are too large to fit through the powder coated holes in the bumper itself.

am i supposed to drill out those holes? i don't need much clearance so i'm thinking its just the thick powder coat causing this tolerance issue. or maybe i have the wrong bolts.

i stopped by the local autozone but their selection of stainless M5 bolts (or even SAE equivalent) was nearly non-existent. i don't have much hope for the big box hardware stores either. what should have been a 30 second job is turning into much more.

ok, need some help. trying to mount the US plate bracket using the bag of bolts, but the M6 bolts are too large to fit through the powder coated holes in the bumper itself.

am i supposed to drill out those holes? i don't need much clearance so i'm thinking its just the thick powder coat causing this tolerance issue. or maybe i have the wrong bolts.

i stopped by the local autozone but their selection of stainless M5 bolts (or even SAE equivalent) was nearly non-existent. i don't have much hope for the big box hardware stores either. what should have been a 30 second job is turning into much more.
Ace Hardware usually has a pretty good selection. Just let them know you're trying to size the bolts to your vehicle and test hardware until it's what you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom