Approach, Departure, Breakover and Pintle Hook (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have the approach, departure and breakover angles for (relatively) stock 80s floating around in their heads?

Second, questions - The pintle hook holes on the rear cross member - do they need nuts or are there fasteners in place? Finally, I know this seemingly gets covered all the time, but I still don't really know the answer - Am I safe to tow ~ 1000 lbs (500 trailer and 500 either motorcycle or small boat) with the pintle (actually one of those ball-style pintles, not an actual pintle hook) on an unmodified cross member - well within the Class I range? I have to believe that the cross member can safely handle this load?

Cheers, Hugh

I don't have the stock angles at the top of my head, but go ahead and lift it anyways, you'll like them better then.

As for the pintle hitch, I believe that the holes are threaded and don't need nuts. I've got the same pintle set up in the garage and have used it to haul light 1000# or under loads with no problem.

-H-

Hugh,
I have the 80 series stock approach and departure angles at home and will post them tonight if you don't get an answer. Don't think I've seen the stock breakover angle.

The top 2 holes on the pintle have captured nuts in the rear crossmember. The lower 2 holes will require a bolt, washers, and nuts. I can get you the bolt sizes if you need them.

SOR (and others) sells a variety of hitches that attach to the rear pintle mount. I bought their drop bracket that enables the use of standard 7/8" shaft trailer balls.  It is a heavy unit and their specs say 1000 lbs.  They have others that are rated as Class II (2,000 lbs)

240-80-big.jpg

The SOR bracket above comes with the 4 required mounting bolts, nuts, and washers. I don't know why they pictured it with only 2 bolts. I use all 4 bolts most of the time.

-B-

The breakover angle depends on whether or not you have the factory running boards on and if you do how many times you have bashed the heck out of them. :slap:

Beo:

Thanks, if you can post them sometime, that would be great :beer:.

Thanks also for the info on the pintle mount. I've been waiting for a hitch from two different places and they seem to be almost impossible to get, a major PITA. So, I've been debating about just using the rear cross member. I would need to remove the plastic part that covers the Lexus unit and think of something that doesn't look too ugly to replace it with. I'm also thinking this may be better as I wouldn't have a hitch dragging along the ground.

Cheers, Hugh

Hugh,
The LC just has the rear cross member exposed. There is an aluminum plate on the top. I'm sure C-Dan can get you the part number and a good price.  Someone that has removed their rear bumpers might send you one for cheap.

Approach/Departure Angles (Degrees): 33/22

See the 1997 FZJ80 Fact Sheet here: http://wind.prohosting.com/beowu1f/index.htm
-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom