Apple CarPlay and Google Android Auto Naviplus Group Buy (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Latest update: All models previous to MY2016 require modification to the oem unit to bypass touch selections. The plug and play option will be available in two months.
Do you know what sort of modifications need to be done?

I don’t know the extent of modification required. Just that you need to open up the oem unit. Due to the risk and experience required, Naviplus decided to pull the offer for the MY2008-2015 units.

If you're still accepting additions to the group buy due to the delay for pre-2016.

I'm In for a 2013 LC wired with steering control Once they're available.

That’s fast! Which shipping option did you choose?

I picked the next cheapest which was like $7aud more than the cheapest. $67 vs $74 IIRC. Anyhow, I’m blown away as DHL just dropped it off!

00AC87CC-14D5-4E41-86FB-FAD2E912F4AA.jpeg

ETA: Not the first lick of instructions LOL. Headed to their website to get all of that now.

If you're still accepting additions to the group buy due to the delay for pre-2016.

I'm In for a 2013 LC wired with steering control Once they're available.

I’ll update the thread once another group buy is available.

I was emailed two sets of installation instructions from Naviplus. Didn’t take a look as I drive a 2016. So unsure which part needs modification.

Attachments

• TOYOTA_200 SERIES_GU_NETPLAY FROM 2010.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 347
  • TOYOTA_200 SERIES_GU_NETPLAY 2007 TO 2010.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 139
Before I commit to this - Could someone identify the differences between the Naviplus unit and the Grom Vline unit (see links below)?

There are also other models on Grom's website that are compatible with other years. Even with the group buy discount, they both seem to be about $600.

I‘ll be waiting for the plug n play unit. Looking forward to the new code! Thanks again for your help

So far so good.

Having access to CarPlay is great. It works as advertised and installation overall wasn't too bad. A few tidbits about the functionality and experience:
  • Overall, I'm very happy with the product.
  • The NaviPlus requires the OEM unit audio source to be set to "Aux." I'm fairly certain that others have mentioned that but kinda forgot and spent some time troubleshooting that.
  • We ran errands for a few hours today using wireless CarPlay the entire time. There were a couple audio blips but that could have been Apple Music or the navigation audio which we had turned on.
  • It also worked just fine with a combination of wireless CarPlay (for nav/apps) while music played through the OEM system via a connected USB cable.
  • If I'm being really picky...
    • Swiping through the CarPlay app menu doesn't have the same feel of swiping left-right on the iPhone. I don't have a ton of experience with CarPlay so I'd know if that's typical?
    • So far Gaia GPS isn't appearing in my list of CarPlay apps. I wonder if it requires a wired connection?

IMG_2349.jpeg

I didn't take any photos of the installation. Partly because it's already been documented but also because I performed the installation in our dim parking garage. Some notes about the install:
  • Pretty much every component only has one place it can be plugged in. In my installation, I did not use the yellow RCA video cables. I also had to modify the ground connection for the audio RCA cables by relocating it to another pin. I'm not sure if that's part of every 2016 installation or if it's something NaviPlus discovered after they shipped me the parts.
  • I took the lead from @Eric Sarjeant on the microphone placement near the rear view mirror. I ran the wire down the passenger A-pillar and then fished it into the center console area without much issue. I did remove the passenger door-side vent to help with the routing.
  • I mounted the GPS antennas and the infrared sensor for the remote under the top speaker grille. The remote kinda works but I don't plan on using it and it's easy enough to remove that grill when and if I need.
  • I used heavy duty Velcro to mount the electrical boxes to the ducts behind the displays. It ain't pretty but worked. At some point I may go in and clean it up a bit by mounting some brackets into the metal cross bar to better support the system.
  • I wanted to keep the OEM USB hookup and am still shopping a product that supports CarPlay that can replace one of the switch blanks. In the meantime, the NaviPlus USB cable is tucked into the carpet somewhere.
  • I've attached the instructions that NaviPlus sent me.
Thanks to @ty240 for putting the group buy together!

Attachments

• TOYOTA_LC200R_NET_ACP.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 131
Update #4: It seems that all models previous to MY2016 require modification to the oem unit to bypass touch selections. The plug and play option will be available in two months. If you’re willing to wait then another group buy will follow.

Update #3: Naviplus says 2013-2015 LCs will require modification of the oem units to bypass touch selections. A plug and play option will be available in a couple months. For those that are willing to wait, I’ve asked them to offer a discount code when the new unit is available.

Update #2: I’ve just been informed that the discount is 100AUD for those with a Lexus and the discount code is APR5. Naviplus says the Lexus units are already priced as low as possible.

Update: The discount code has been provided by Naviplus. Please keep an eye out for a pm. As per the agreement with Naviplus, Please refrain from sharing or releasing the code to others. Code will expire by September 5th, 2020. Thanks!

Naviplus has agreed to a flat 200AUD discount code. The offer will be a limited time offer and you will need to add your name to this thread in order to receive the code via pm. They do not want the code to be released on the internet.

*The sign up list will be available until Saturday, Aug 22, 2020.

Original post below:
For those that have been following the CarPlay thread here, I’ve reached out to Naviplus in Australia and they’re willing to offer a group buy. No details yet as to the quantity required or how much of a discount, but I assume over $100 because they offered a coupon code APR5 for $100 off of any unit. The code is for mud members that can’t wait for the group buy to end.

Toyota Land Cruiser
2009-2013
2016-2018 (Resistive)
2018+

Lexus LX570
2007-2012

I’m unsure why Toyota model years 2008 and 2014-2015 are not included, but would contact them with any questions. They respond very quickly. I believe late model Lexus owners already have an option from beatsonic at a lower price point.

Please respond in this thread if you’re interested so I’m able to give them an approximate number of buyers. You will not be required to prepay as it will just be another coupon code with a direct order from the site.

1. ty240
2. ferrisbueller
3. moby
4. jerbintennessee
5. omahawk200
6. casual cruiser
7. jprince
8. jefo13
9. atwoz
10. chris777
11. txmeatball
12. tabraha
13. j54
14. bennygp
15. mooneywa
16. chowchilla
17. scottsndale
18. danny noonan
19. cru1s3r
20. ravivt
21. bulletsmith
22. epc3
23. kms254
24. seajeff
25. jbssfelix
26. jamgolf
27. capital e
28. bigdaddy200
29. laserturbo91
30. onesprung60
31. dmoz
32. fdmd
33. propofol
34. jdbearden
35. gentimmy
36. talkingmeds
37. austindave
38. spoetzl
39. aflamm
40. sc4ta
41. joltman
42. maluch
43. indycole
44. tonyholland00
45. iowalc200
47. dntlflosstycoon
48. mars911red
49. thomasgs4
50. drcocacola
51. jzelnick
52. scderby
53. landyandy
Can I get added for the code for a 2016 LC? Just found this thread!

So far so good.

Having access to CarPlay is great. It works as advertised and installation overall wasn't too bad. A few tidbits about the functionality and experience:
  • Overall, I'm very happy with the product.
  • The NaviPlus requires the OEM unit audio source to be set to "Aux." I'm fairly certain that others have mentioned that but kinda forgot and spent some time troubleshooting that.
  • We ran errands for a few hours today using wireless CarPlay the entire time. There were a couple audio blips but that could have been Apple Music or the navigation audio which we had turned on.
  • It also worked just fine with a combination of wireless CarPlay (for nav/apps) while music played through the OEM system via a connected USB cable.
  • If I'm being really picky...
    • Swiping through the CarPlay app menu doesn't have the same feel of swiping left-right on the iPhone. I don't have a ton of experience with CarPlay so I'd know if that's typical?
    • So far Gaia GPS isn't appearing in my list of CarPlay apps. I wonder if it requires a wired connection?

View attachment 2420402

I didn't take any photos of the installation. Partly because it's already been documented but also because I performed the installation in our dim parking garage. Some notes about the install:
  • Pretty much every component only has one place it can be plugged in. In my installation, I did not use the yellow RCA video cables. I also had to modify the ground connection for the audio RCA cables by relocating it to another pin. I'm not sure if that's part of every 2016 installation or if it's something NaviPlus discovered after they shipped me the parts.
  • I took the lead from @Eric Sarjeant on the microphone placement near the rear view mirror. I ran the wire down the passenger A-pillar and then fished it into the center console area without much issue. I did remove the passenger door-side vent to help with the routing.
  • I mounted the GPS antennas and the infrared sensor for the remote under the top speaker grille. The remote kinda works but I don't plan on using it and it's easy enough to remove that grill when and if I need.
  • I used heavy duty Velcro to mount the electrical boxes to the ducts behind the displays. It ain't pretty but worked. At some point I may go in and clean it up a bit by mounting some brackets into the metal cross bar to better support the system.
  • I wanted to keep the OEM USB hookup and am still shopping a product that supports CarPlay that can replace one of the switch blanks. In the meantime, the NaviPlus USB cable is tucked into the carpet somewhere.
  • I've attached the instructions that NaviPlus sent me.
Thanks to @ty240 for putting the group buy together!

Glad to know that I'm not the only one rocking Wu Tang in the LC.

Cross-posting for the original CarPlay works thread

Just had mine installed for $350, anyone in the NY/NJ area can head over to NJ Boom Boom and talk to Han to get it done, they did a super clean install. My comments are based on initial impressions and strictly for Android Auto.

Pros:
  • We now have Android auto! Serious upgrade over stock AV
  • Steering Wheel Control Work - Skip and Volume
  • Car and Naviplus unit is pretty seamless, rear backup cam goes on in "R' then returns to Naviplus when back in 'D', volume / AC top banner show up and go away as you interface with with the physical buttons.
  • The audio stays on 'Aux' so getting in and out of the car you don't need to change input.

Cons:
  • My phone says 'Charging Slowly' (Google Pixel 3) when connected. Going to talk to Naviplus as this is a huge let down to not have normal speed charging, not even asking for rapid charging. Will report back if this is not expected behavior and an issue on my end.
  • The instructions are low budget and not clear, they need to make improvements here before that group buy drops IMO. (edit: too late)
  • The speed is acceptable, but I wouldn't call it fast or slow, would prefer it to be snappier but that could also be the screen and not a NP issue.

Is this a wired or wireless setup?

Android is only wired on the NP unit, Apple Car Play is optional wireless. I prefer wired on any setup as AA/CP is a huge data / power drain, wired should almost always work better.

Charging
I've spent the last hour doing some power consumption testing and wired Android Auto with a Pixel 3 connected to the NP unit is not effectively charging the phone, the 'charge rate' is moving between 50-200mA which would take quite a long time to add a single % point back to the device, it more or less is just keeping it at whatever % it was before it was plugged in.

I have not been able to turn off USB power from the Android device settings, nor have I been able to get the wireless charging pad to work while the phone is plugged into the NP unit. I've reached out to NP with videos, photos and screenshots, will see what they say.

Anyone here seeing this or something different?

I did not get in on the group buy, but I did use the Mud discount. Took about 3 hours or so for me to do the install. Have not used it much so far. I like it and think it was worth it at this point. The only thing I have a concern about at this point is that the volume will increase for no reason when doing some things. Don't have enough time with the system to say more than that.

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom