Anyone with a 1st gen 4runner? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have a 1st gen 4 runner here that can measure the rear drive shaft length for me? Preferably with a single tcase.

I have one. I can measure it tomorrow

Lift matters. Are you looking for a stock driveshaft length? Or something else?

Lift matters. Are you looking for a stock driveshaft length? Or something else?
I had the drive shafts modified. In my infinite wisdom I wrote down front dimensions but not rear. The new rear measurements seem off from what I remember. I am not sure on the amount of lift due to it being done by a previous owner. If I had to guess I would say 3-4 " .

Didn't these come in four and five speed versions 79-85? 10/82 was the start of the five speed in the 40 series. Not sure on the mini truck. If they are like the 40 and 60 series the length was different until 4/85 when Toyota added a dummy spacer to the back of the four speed so it would equal the five speed.

Guess was thinking mini truck first gen 4runner 85-89? Were they all five speeds or some automatics? Did the solid axle make any difference from the independent suspension?

Last edited:
Didn't these come in four and five speed versions 79-85? 10/82 was the start of the five speed in the 40 series. Not sure on the mini truck. If they are like the 40 and 60 series the length was different until 4/85 when Toyota added a dummy spacer to the back of the four speed so it would equal the five speed.

Guess was thinking mini truck first gen 4runner 85-89? Were they all five speeds or some automatics? Did the solid axle make any difference from the independent suspension?
I've never seem anything but 5-speeds on 4Runners. 4Runners started in 84. There are automatic 4Runners but in later years.

I had the drive shafts modified. In my infinite wisdom I wrote down front dimensions but not rear. The new rear measurements seem off from what I remember. I am not sure on the amount of lift due to it being done by a previous owner. If I had to guess I would say 3-4 " .

Just measure mounting face to mounting face, sitting on the ground on the tires, transfer case to differential. Then call Tom Woods Driveshafts. Get what they recommend. A few days later a long skinny heavy box will magically appear. 8 bolts/nuts later, bada boom bada bing.

Just measure mounting face to mounting face, sitting on the ground on the tires, transfer case to differential. Then call Tom Woods Driveshafts. Get what they recommend. A few days later a long skinny heavy box will magically appear. 8 bolts/nuts later, bada boom bada bing.

Thanks. I did take that measurement and the measurement of my current drive shaft to figure out about to shorten. I forgot to write down the rear so my fault. I have already paid to have mine shortened so don't really want to pay twice. It was more of a curiosity thing as to what measurements people with like rigs had if any. The local shop is going to take care of shortening again.

Thanks. I did take that measurement and the measurement of my current drive shaft to figure out about to shorten. I forgot to write down the rear so my fault. I have already paid to have mine shortened so don't really want to pay twice. It was more of a curiosity thing as to what measurements people with like rigs had if any. The local shop is going to take care of shortening again.

Oh, OK. I thought you needed a new one. Good luck!

I've never seem anything but 5-speeds on 4Runners. 4Runners started in 84. There are automatic 4Runners but in later years.

Really know very little about the early 4Runner and Hilux. I do remember test driving a 87 extended cab that had a automatic. Searching on Amayama Trading see the RN50L model 4Runner having a four speed manual back to 8/83. An automatic transmission from 1/84. This is under the USA market. All of the model numbers end in A (US market) except for one. The other one is K (Canada). Unlike the Land Cruiser thought the 4Runner started out with some options. 2nd & 3rd gen have automatic and manual transmissions. Plus four and six cylinder engines. 4th gen only automatic and fifth automatic and six cylinder. Back in the eighties the camper shell cap with a bolt seat in the bed did not meet the needs of having small kids. Ended up with a Pathfinder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom