Anyone Use Summit Fuel Cells? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I'm trying to figure out options for a rear gas tank and I can't cough up $750.00 for a downey.

I was looking through the Summit Catalog and found a light weight fuel cell. I saw the 20 gallon and it seems that it might do the trick. Has anyone mounted a similar tank in the rear?

Please let me know and post your expereince or suggestions.

Appreciate the help!

Best,

UNO

Summit

All their stuff always seems to be good. Someone else makes it for them RCI or some other mfg.

We have a aluminum shop here at home that build aluminum truck boxes etc. They do excellent work and can build anything you want. Cheaper than the Summit Cells. You might want to check local fab shops around your home. You never know what you can get something custom made for. It might suprise you.

JR

As I just posted in the other auxiliary tank thread, people have installed fuel cells, usually from summit, with good results. The biggest objection to them that I've seen is that they generally do not carry a DOT seal of approval.

Did you try a search?

Fuel tank options

There are a lot of options out there for aux tanks. You can home fab out source fab buy a pre fab or junk-yard fab. It comes down to what are you comfortable with. I have done my fair share of research on this issue and decided to watch the for sale parts forum and post in the wanted parts forum for a used tank. I believe there is one in the for sale section right now.
Anyway here is another supplier of tanks for you.

http://www.rockymountaincruisers.com/cgi-local/shop.pl/page=estore.html

No affiliation.

Are you still looking for info about fuel tanks?
I've got a couple pics of my RCI 17 gallon fuel cell, $225.00 an extra ~$20 for powdercoated.
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 004.jpg

I have a summit cell in my 55, The first one I got leaked around one of the outlets. But I sent it back and they sent me a new one next day. Have had no problems with it in the 2 years since.

I like the looks of the cell. I'm just wondering if it would fit under the body between the chassie rails. Based upon the dimensions published in Summits Cat. it should fit, but I had to b e the gunnie pig.

What are the dimensions for the tank that fits between the rails on the back? I'm interested in adding a new tank as well, and I'm at work and cant go measure right now.

anybody know about a filler neck attachment for fuel cells?

i'd like to eventually go for a cell, but would like to still be able to fill it up without having to put the gas nozzle into the cab.

isn't there some of spill-proof valve on the cells?

malphrus

I'm still pondering the summit tank. Summit does make a fast fill neck wiht a 45 degree angle. Just not sure if it is a quick fill or just the filler neck? I'll call summit tomorrow and let you know.

I'm still pondering the summit tank. Summit does make a fast fill neck wiht a 45 degree angle. Just not sure if it is a quick fill or just the filler neck? I'll call summit tomorrow and let you know.

Well I called Summit and sure enough they have a 45 degree angle filler that is not a quick fill. It fits aroung the top of the tank and allows you to plumb your own feeder line. I took measurements today and I don't think Summits tanks will fit.

i'm sure it would be easy to fabricate some type of filler neck to mount to the stock location, but in the end the ease of that would depend on where you mounted the tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom