Anyone upgrade E-brake Mounting Bolts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geocities.com
Ok, in yet another display of sheer brilliance, I've driven through my Ebrake and sheared the 4 backing-plate-to-xfer mounting bolts :doh: ... for the 2nd time. :eek:

As this is expensive (also pops the $80 brake cable) and time-consuming (not to mention frustrating & embarassing)... and knowing that I'm unlikely to get any smarter... I'd like to dummy-proof it to prevent future re-occurrence.

I would think the design should allow the ebrake to slip first (I'm glad it holds the vehicle, but geeez!). I'm surprised Toyota chose just four little 8mm bolts at such a high stress point.

Is there a stronger bolt/stud out there? Or has anyone drilled & tapped the speedo housing for the next larger size bolt?

Will this just move the point of failure to the xfer case or speedo housing?

Other thoughts? Experience?

Other thoughts?

I have seen 12.9 hardness 8mm bolts shear off in that same application. There is not significant meat around the bolt holes to take them to 10mm.

:meh:

Train yourself to release the parking brake every time; it is by far the easiest solution to this issue.

:beer:

Does your E-Brake on light not function? You could wire a buzzer in it's place... :)

I was thinking the same thing about the light, or install another light in a very obvious place.

The buzzer's a good idea, except if I installed one, the first thing I'd likely do is disconnect it! :hillbilly:

The brake warning light works... I've never *driven* it with the ebrake on, that's not the prob...

I got distracted while parking on a hill: ebrake on and in first gear (as backup to the ebrake--tho clearly that was unnecessary)... Normally one would shut the engine down first then let the clutch out, but this time I flubbed it and let the clutch out quickly with the engine still on and BANG!

BTW--it's got an SM420: so 2x the stock torque there. Still I'm surprised it could sheer them at idle. I wonder if a couple of the bolts hadn't already failed.

I got distracted while parking on a hill.

Would appear that you understand why it occurred.

BTW--it's got an SM420: so 2x the stock torque there. Still I'm surprised it could sheer them at idle. I wonder if a couple of the bolts hadn't already failed.

Not likely. This has been accomplished with a stock three-speed transmission.

:meh:

Hi All:

"LilJohn" any idea what length 8mm studs you used?

Thanks!

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom