Anyone sourced and fitted a brand new 1hz crate motor recently? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I believe it is a long block assembled from toyota parts by @SNLC, but shipping box is making me second guess that. I don't think toyota sells a long block. You can buy a new cylinder head and engine block and put them together from what I recall.

Gotta ask since I don't know - what's the diff between 'long' and 'short' block when it comes to 1hz/1hdt type diesel motors for 80's?

Gotta ask since I don't know - what's the diff between 'long' and 'short' block when it comes to 1hz/1hdt type diesel motors for 80's?

Short block is the block loaded with crank, pistons, conrods and of course related bearings. So it is simply a new bottom end. Long block is what I posted earlier, basically has the head on top of the short block.

Cheers

Short block: block and internal rotating assembly.

Long block: short block + head.

Toyota does manufacture and sell 1HZ long block assemblies.

Thankyou. which markets are 1hz's still made for out of interest? Here in oz they aren't sold in any new Toyota's unless the Coaster mini-bus still uses that motor.

1HDT short blocks were also still available when I checked last year. I think around NZD$8k before any haggling. Cheaper than a rebuild.
I wonder if Toyota sells complete 1hdt or 1hz motors at all (ie. ready to install and prepare with fluids, etc.) or only the short and long block assemblies?

I wonder if Toyota sells complete 1hdt or 1hz motors at all (ie. ready to install and prepare with fluids, etc.) or only the short and long block assemblies?
Long motors are all that was ever available, as there are part numbers in the system, 19000-17142 for 1HDT.

As you can see below they're short loads of ancillaries - eg no injection parts etc for the 1HDT.

Capture.PNG

Seems there are multiple versions - 19000-17140 up to 19000-17144 - and Amayama gives me A$ prices around $16k.

1hz seems to be 19000-17420 and 19000-17141 for the similar config using 1997 as the target year in Toyodiy.

About the same pricing quotes - A$16k.

It's hard to know if those p/n's are correct as the 'engine' page shows petrol and diesel motors with the same '11000' over-arching part category code.

Seems there are multiple versions - 19000-17140 up to 19000-17144 - and Amayama gives me A$ prices around $16k.

1hz seems to be 19000-17420 and 19000-17141 for the similar config using 1997 as the target year in Toyodiy.

About the same pricing quotes - A$16k.

It's hard to know if those p/n's are correct as the 'engine' page shows petrol and diesel motors with the same '11000' over-arching part category code.
Someone with access to the actual EPC not ToyoDIY or Japan-parts would be able to work it out.

In any case it's kind of pointless. You'd have to spectacularly destroy an engine to need the additional bits that the long motor gives you over the short block. Most people would be swapping the timing case etc over onto the short block.

Unless of course you've destroyed the head too.

Someone with access to the actual EPC not ToyoDIY or Japan-parts would be able to work it out.

In any case it's kind of pointless. You'd have to spectacularly destroy an engine to need the additional bits that the long motor gives you over the short block. Most people would be swapping the timing case etc over onto the short block.

Unless of course you've destroyed the head too.

At 600,000km his head likely needs refreshed.

Short block: block and internal rotating assembly.

Long block: short block + head.

Toyota does manufacture and sell 1HZ long block assemblies.
Is there a searchable part-number for 1hz long block assemblies? 19000-17421 seems to be a short block assembly (for a later year hzj80)? Was or is there a searchable p/n for the 1hdt just out of interest? I'm aware 1hz is still in production but I don't think 1hdt is.

Thanks, Craig.

At 600,000km his head likely needs refreshed.
It's over 690 k km's now. The head has one missing piece where a section at an exhaust stud hole with very little casting around where the stud goes has cracked off but otherwise it's the same head that was on the motor when I got the 80 12 years ago with 505 k km's on the odometer. I've never had it off the block. I did shims and t-belt tensioner + t-belt + water pump myself at 600 k km's.

1HZ short block assy: 11400-17120 globally

1HD-T short block assy: 11400-17073 globally.

1HZ long block assy: 19000-17B01 globally.

1HD-T long block assy: long discontinued. One can be built new by parts though for about $25K USD.

Last edited:
Ahhh I just found a different part number of 19000-17b20 in a google result and Amayama says it's a 1hz motor for landcruiser called 'engine assy, partial' priced at A$16575 with a weight of 252 kg. There's also 19000-17b10 and 19000-17b40 which also come back saying the same description and 1hz but prices are different (17b10 is A$14683 and 17b40 is A$17642) and they have unknown weights.

Without access to internal toyota systems I have no way to determine what the differences are. Or even if those assemblies are *actually* available. I wonder which markets the 1hz is still made for just out of interest.

So lets presume shipping is going to be about $5000 ex Japan, that's roughly $20k total for a brand new crate 1hz that I'm guessing is a long not a short block motor (but have no way to verify).

19000-17b01 quotes a price of A$26097 without shipping and has a weight of 253 kg.

Honestly, buying a new 1HZ for that sort of money is crazy.

My advice, keep your current motor for as long as possible and wait for the recession to hit in the next 6 months or so and wait for the covid tax to drop off. Prior to 2020 you could get a low km 1HDFT for $10k, and 1HDFTs could be had for $15k. The current prices are just stupid, and give it a few months when people have to choose between paying their mortgage/keeping their house or keeping a 25 year old landcruiser, and you'll see what happens to prices.

If your current 1HZ dies, you should be able to get a running second hand replacement for less than $3k and should be able to swap it over in a weekend. Don't spend mega bucks on a 1HZ.

Damn. Bad day there @OGBeno? :hmm:

@sunrk, all the part numbers you listed are valid codes for 1HZ long blocks. They come up in the catalog as being applicable to various different models of Landcruiser. There's a good chance in the end they all refer to the exact same actual product. Plenty of parts have duplicate numbers for identical items, and substitution lists are far from comprehensive. That said, regardless of what advice anyone on this forum may have, before you order a big high value item like this, you absolutely should speak to an actual Toyota parts department. Don't just try and order what you think is right sight unseen from partsouq for something like this, at least until you've talked to someone. There's shipping costs and logistics, and import costs to consider, which are regional concerns. I'm confident the part number OGBeno has given is valid. If you want to know the difference between that one and the other numbers you listed, again you'll need to talk to someone who has experience ordering these kind of parts. You're in Australia like me, so the Toyota dealers will have experience with these engines and should be able to set you straight.

As for this question:
which markets are 1hz's still made for out of interest? Here in oz they aren't sold in any new Toyota's unless the Coaster mini-bus still uses that motor.
Emissions and efficiency laws have prevented selling new vehicles with 1HZ engines across the first world, but there are plenty of countries where new 70 series Landcruisers can still be ordered with 1HZ engines, primarily parts of Africa and Central and South America. According to a manual I'm looking at, that includes Jamaica, Mozambique, Papua New Guinea, South Africa, Algeria, Costa Rica, Egypt, New Caledonia, Panama, and undoubtedly many more in those regions which share the same package models. That's just end consumers though. If you're a large mining company, government, aid agency, other multinational NGO, or probably an aspiring local warlord, you can order new 1HZ equipped 70 series cruisers to your requirements through Toyota Gibraltar Stockholdings (TGS) - 4x4 vehicles for aid agencies - https://www.toyota-gib.com. And even if not, there are plenty of places worldwide that specialize in customized new rigs, which will buy an available 70 series model and drop a 1HZ crate engine in for you, which are the go-to for some places like your smaller mining operations where you don't need crazy volumes. Through arrangements like these, 1HZ equipped Landcruisers are still used in many first world countries, including Australia and Canada at least, and I'm sure many others. These vehicles may not be legal at all to drive on the public roads in these countries mind you, but if you're a mining company or NGO, again there are ways and means through local laws if you're using them for government approved purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom