Anyone running rear helper air springs on their rig? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Would it be possible for you to correct the links or re-attach your pics for this post and others with your pics? It would be helpful to actually see what you're talking about rather than just reading the captions. This thread would continue to be very useful if you did. Thanks!

I'll have to search my hard drive as this is from waaay back lol

They worked great, but have since disintegrated and haven't had the need to replace them as I rarely tow anything heavy nowadays

I'll have to search my hard drive as this is from waaay back lol

They worked great, but have since disintegrated and haven't had the need to replace them as I rarely tow anything heavy nowadays
Thanks! I understand. After searching and finding the thread that would really help, but there's only red X's for pics.....:bang: Appreciate your efforts!

Now that I see the pics, I think I used your thread to complete the ones on my truck back in 2015.

I chose to join my air bags together on a single fill line so they always run equal pressure. I prefer the feel during operation for that. I have not experienced the lean as much as it would bug me having one side a few PSI off from the other, as it make the rear "wiggle" when driving.

I didn't get a sticker with mine about the pressure. Disappointing.

I was told by their support that 25 PSI was max........after I blew a bag at 30 PSI and it squeezed out between the coils.

Thank you @98 SNAKE EATER ! I can see that I'll use your pics as a reference when my airbags arrive for installation. Thanks for your efforts! I've been considering running the fill lines out the top spring perches to keep them out of harm's way and simplify the routing. Your pics sure help to evaluate that ahead of time! Too bad they don't provide a 90 degree fittings. I wonder if maybe I could find 90* fittings that would work at say, an Ace Hdwe store?

Thank you @98 SNAKE EATER ! I can see that I'll use your pics as a reference when my airbags arrive for installation. Thanks for your efforts! I've been considering running the fill lines out the top spring perches to keep them out of harm's way and simplify the routing. Your pics sure help to evaluate that ahead of time! Too bad they don't provide a 90 degree fittings. I wonder if maybe I could find 90* fittings that would work at say, an Ace Hdwe store?
Just run them out the bottom per AirLift's instructions. They know how they're supposed to be and you already have a bracket with a hole in the bottom that is MUCH easier to deal with then trying to take them out the top.

The kit comes with all the parts you need.

Just run them out the bottom per AirLift's instructions. They know how they're supposed to be and you already have a bracket with a hole in the bottom that is MUCH easier to deal with then trying to take them out the top.

The kit comes with all the parts you need.
The existing hole in the bottom spring perch has to be drilled out to avoid chafing anyway, plus routing the line(s) will need to be considered, so either way has it's own challenges. A hole drilled out in either spring perch is basically the main modification needed to the 80 suspension. Thanks for your opinion, though. I still contend that a 90* fitting would be useful - either way. How flexible is the line they send?

The existing hole in the bottom spring perch has to be drilled out to avoid chafing anyway, plus routing the line(s) will need to be considered, so either way has it's own challenges. A hole drilled out in either spring perch is basically the main modification needed to the 80 suspension. Thanks for your opinion, though. I still contend that a 90* fitting would be useful - either way. How flexible is the line they send?
Very flexible line.

Gravity will eventually settle the bag in the bottom of the spring, leaving the line exposed on the top so when it does get compressed, it will pinch the line.

I've had mine in for 5 years with regular use and have had no issues other than a blown bag which was my fault.

I have this same setup on my '97, following the variations @BILT4ME describes and with the parts provided in the kit. I also plumbed the bags to a single air input/fill fitting and also ran the hose from the bags out of the bottom and in my case I didn't need to drill at all and haven't had any issue in a few years of use.

I do get some sway in certain scenarios when the truck is fully loaded. It's mostly gone after installing new suspension bushings, shocks, tires and a number of related changes. I'm still on stock springs, which are likely softer than most lift/aftermarket springs. At this point the wallowing is still noticeable when really loaded up and taking higher speed turns and hitting bumps, like on interstate interchange ramps/similar. I noticed this wallowing before installing the bags, whenever the truck was loaded up, so I can't say how much the bags help or hurt the situation. My understanding at this point is that when you load one of these rigs up with lots of gear, including some weight on the roof, that they are going to wallow to some extent in some situations regardless of having bags or how the bags are plumbed. Separate inflators for each bag should help but I don't know if it would resolve this issue. Of course, I'll keep reading/learning and may switch over to separated bags at some point to see if more improvements are possible.

Very flexible line.

Gravity will eventually settle the bag in the bottom of the spring, leaving the line exposed on the top so when it does get compressed, it will pinch the line.

I've had mine in for 5 years with regular use and have had no issues other than a blown bag which was my fault.
Thanks! I've got an email in to Airlift support to get their take on it. I pictured in my mind the scenerio that you describe if the line was out the top and what would happen during compression. So when you described it, I was thinking hmmm.... Right now, while I'm waiting for the bags to show up, I'm remembering my recent replacement of my shocks and the lack of room between the frame and body in that area. I have a LRA 24 gal aux fuel tank and it's fuel pump and lines run in that area, so they'll be an obstacle to route around - if I go that way. I'm interested to see what Airlift has to say. According to Amazon, the bags won't be delivered till 6/10, so I've got time to mull it over. I've already decided that if I route them out the bottom, I'll route the RH side line along the top rear of the axle pumpkin - to keep it away from the exhaust. 'T' the lines at the vent and use the slack in the vent hose as a pattern up to my fill point choice. Thanks for your input!

Thanks! I've got an email in to Airlift support to get their take on it. I pictured in my mind the scenerio that you describe if the line was out the top and what would happen during compression. So when you described it, I was thinking hmmm.... Right now, while I'm waiting for the bags to show up, I'm remembering my recent replacement of my shocks and the lack of room between the frame and body in that area. I have a LRA 24 gal aux fuel tank and it's fuel pump and lines run in that area, so they'll be an obstacle to route around - if I go that way. I'm interested to see what Airlift has to say. According to Amazon, the bags won't be delivered till 6/10, so I've got time to mull it over. I've already decided that if I route them out the bottom, I'll route the RH side line along the top rear of the axle pumpkin - to keep it away from the exhaust. 'T' the lines at the vent and use the slack in the vent hose as a pattern up to my fill point choice. Thanks for your input!
I routed my lines on the rear upper control arms, then over to a tee and up to the fuel fill area. I made sure to leave a full loop of about 2" diameter at each corner to allow for flex and stretch during articulation. I loosely zip-tied the sections together to allow them to move over time and not fatigue.

I posted earlier in this thread about the bags I installed, just posting here to update that in two years of use I've had no problems. This is a great, inexpensive mod IMHO. I've been on some pretty tough trails with these bags and they have stood up with no issues. The added weight on the rear of my rig when we go into family camping mode is several hundred pounds, and this bags have solved my extreme sag in the rear during those times. I'm a very satisfied customer, and I recommend the AirLift bags without hesitation.
I will add that when I have wheeled my truck the hardest the bags have been at the minimal inflation pressure of 5 pounds. I don't know how they'd do with a bunch of pressure in them during lots of articulation. My wheeling trips are usually not my family camping trips, and during the wheeling trips the weight is much lower. Just thought I should mention that.
Good luck.

Did you ever hear back from Airlift about routing them out the top? There is a Coil Rite video on Youtube where they route them right out the top, but the bags seem to fill up the entire spring length, so no settling. I'd much rather put them out the top if possible.

Figured I'd add, I recently installed the firestone bags from SD truck. and proceeded to tow an MG from MA--CO. the air bags helped tremendously and kept the 80 nice and level definitely worth the $100. I ran the lines out the bottom and did not open up the hole. The hose went through without issue and I dont see how a larger hole is going to change anything as the hose will rest on the edges regardless.

Did you ever hear back from Airlift about routing them out the top? There is a Coil Rite video on Youtube where they route them right out the top, but the bags seem to fill up the entire spring length, so no settling. I'd much rather put them out the top if possible.
No, I've not heard anything. Yeah, I agree - top seems more protected. This thread mentions Airbag Man air bags out of Australia. CR5052HP is what you want for 2.5" lift with the protective sleeves. They're run out the top, made by Firestone and with the protective sleeves look to be more robust. Definitely more expensive, too.

Last edited:
My dad ran bags in the rear end of his FZJ, out of the top wtih an auto-regulating compressor (every time the pressure dipped below 8psi, it would kick on to pump to 10psi automatically). Great system unless you don't drive your truck for a month and it kills the battery. I run Firestone bags in the rear end of my Gen 1 Sequoia (a 2 inch lift on the sequoia are ARB stock height replacement springs for the 80 series), running the lines out the top. Works great. I would not EVER run the lines out the bottom - they'd get beat to crap on the highway, let along off road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom