Anyone Running 33x10.5's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious if anyone has been running 33x10'5 on their truck. I have 31 10'5 now on my stock rims. thinking of going with 33x10's like the following CCOT cruiser:
coolfj40_1765_35203168

Just curious if you get any rubbing on tight turns. I have a 2 1/2" lift, thinking of adding 1 1/2" extended shackles too, using stock now.

No on the green 40 its OME and 33.9.5', mustard 40 stock and 33x9.5. fj60 is 33x10.5

I think you would be OK in the front, rear might hit as they will stick out of the fender a tiny bit. The shackls should take care of any problem.

If it's not rubbing now with 10.5's, it shouldn't rub going up an inch or two in height, especially given your lift. BTW, I'd stay with the stock shackles or maybe some greasable stock length shackles, I have the conferr's 1 1/2" and not really all that thrilled with them.

I'm running 33x10.5's on my 82 fj40 with 4 inch lift. the width makes it easier to steer if ou dont have power steering but if i could get power steering i would go with 12.5's b/c i think they look better. but yes i do highly suggest 10.5's its a nice tire

i'm running the 33x10.5 tsl radials and love them.
wider does look sexier, but i think the skinnies dig better.

Hey fusteve. Why are you "unthrilled" with your 1.5 inch longer
shackles?

Im running 33 x10.5 BFGs on my 73 series and it goes really well .I was gonna use the 11.5 or 12.5 but I got sick of the fat doughnut look everyone is else is running.I reckon the 10.5 look more business like and is quieter ;)

[quote author=rgentry link=board=1;threadid=8375;start=msg71092#msg71092 date=1070533494]
Hey fusteve. Why are you "unthrilled" with your 1.5 inch longer
shackles?
[/quote]

Not a huge issue, it's just that little cross bar in the middle of the shackle doesn't allow the spring to flex as freely as stock, plus you have shims to deal with. Again not a big deal, just something else that can break. I keep my shackle bolts a little loose and grease the bushings occasionally, seems to help.

fusteve -- so you think shims are necessary even with only
1.5" of extra shackle length? I have heard that many folk
make their own shackles with 3/8" thick steel plate and NO
cross bar. Perhaps I'll go that route.

Another Question. If I do the extended shackles... do I install shims on the front and rear? or is it the front that is of most concern? Also, my lift is about 6 months old. I've heard you can't re-use the ubolts?

roscoFJ73 - I'm of the same opinion, thats why I'm askin about skinnies. I like the look of the stock rims, just want bigger tires. Any reason to go 10.5 rather than 9.5" other than the fact that the 10.5's are about $30 less per tire?

If you run longer than stock length shackles in the front, you will probably need shims to correct the steering geometry back inline. You can try it without, but more than likely you'll find the truck wanders more than before. I would not reuse the u-bolts as they are probably fairly old and will have to be cut off anyways, the metal gets fatigued and you don not want the front end coming apart at 50 mph.

My ubolts are only 6 months old. Should be ok wouldn't they? So shims in the front, but don't worry about the back? or do it while I'm at it?

I'm going to see if the new tires will be ok without extended shackels, just asking in case I decide to go that route.

[quote author=ResidualBoulders link=board=1;threadid=8375;start=msg71216#msg71216 date=1070559993]
My ubolts are only 6 months old. Should be ok wouldn't they? So shims in the front, but don't worry about the back? or do it while I'm at it?

I'm going to see if the new tires will be ok without extended shackels, just asking in case I decide to go that route.
[/quote]

Bolts are probably ok, just check them good. I did not run shims in the rear of mine with the longer shackles and that has not caused any problems. I don't think extended shackles are evil, just be aware they require a few more steps to function correctly. Good luck, nice truck.

I would wait and drive it with the rear unshimmed. If you get vibration that wasn't there before, you know that you need to put shims in to correct pinion angle.
BTW: I reused my Skyjacker u-bolts that are about the same age as yours, however I had trimmed them and with the added thickness of the shim, they are too short to use for long and I need to replace them soon. Don't reuse the SJ nylock nuts without adding lockwashers.

"Not a huge issue, it's just that little cross bar in the middle of the shackle doesn't allow the spring to flex as freely as stock" not having the cross bar in the longer shackle will result in to alot of roll in the shackles. i tried that with mine and i drove around on a curvy road and thought i was going to flip. so i welded in a small piece of 1/2" metal between them ant it took care of the roll.

i ran 33x10.50 for a week but i didn't have enought lift to keep them out of the fenders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom