anyone lay flagstone patio? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
thinking about doing this, any one got some tips? dos and donts. looks pretty straight foward

3" class 5, 3" sand, power tamper and lay away. Fill in between the stone and tamp again to work in the fill sand and it should be good to go. Some old timers put chicken wire under the stone, if it's all the same thickness, to prevent uneven sinking. I am redoing a brick patio at my Mom's this summer that has been pretty stable for 42 years and it has chicken wire under the bricks. It has only a couple of small sunken spots.

what are some good things to plant betwen the stones ie moss or grass?

think ill lay it down this weekend

Most of the flagstone work out here is layed on a bed of morter and grouted in with morter. Also, the flagstone is random, I.E. not cut in squares. We score them with a 4-1/2 grinder with a diamond blade and shape to fit.

I'll post a pic of my shower, same principal. (This is slate).
shower.jpg

I had a friend place flagstone on top of my regular concrete porch. We wanted a more rustic look so we went for rougher pieces of flagstone and thus have more variation in elevation between individual pieces due to the fact that you can't sink or fill under the stone to make it perfectly level. Not really a problem for us, but there won't be any roller skating on the thing:D

Basically they placed the stone in a bed of mortar and then "grouted" the spaces between the stones with mortar.

Mortar and grout is the way to go unless you want to fight the weeds all the time. For a patio you'll want to pick nice thick stones. Think closer to brick than tile.

I am pretty sure that grass between the stones is only practical if you have the attention to detail of Martha Steward and a gardening staff at your beck and call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom