Anyone have experience bleeding brakes and troubleshooting on a 80 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
rightchannelradios.com
Hi All,

I just took delivery of a 97 LX450. The previous owner had replaced the brake booster and wasn't happy with the job the shop had done (not a Toyota specific shop). I knew that I'd have to put some time into this and I'm going to be working on it this afternoon and tomorrow. Does anyone here have experience bleeding the brakes, troubleshooting the brake booster & master cylinder on an 80? If so, I'd love to hear any tips you might have.

Thanks!

It's been awhile but I had trouble manually bleeding the brakes. I got a motive power bleeder and it did the job. No experience with booster or master.

The best method I found (if I have no helper) is to open the furthest valve from the master and let gravity bleed the line. Keep the master topped off as it drains.

Use a clear hose off the bleeder nipple so you can see how clean/dirty the fluid is. Once you have clean fluid flowing out, close the line and move up to the next valve. Rinse and repeat all the way up to the master cylinder.

Don’t ever let the master drain dry or you’ll introduce air into the line. I think it took me an hour and a half to do the brakes on my 60 last time I used this method. I’ve never done it on an 80 series, but the principle is the same.

Alternatively, you could try the powered brake bleeder from harbor freight if you don’t want to spend the time waiting for gravity. I’ve never used one so I can’t say how well it works.

Probably the best way to get it done quickly is to have someone pump the brakes as you open and close the line to purge air and trash. That’s the faster way in my opinion and it forces all the crap out of the system.

Brake fluid is hydrophilic so make sure you use a fresh bottle or you’ll likely be putting water into the system which will compress under pressure giving you a spongy pedal.

Vacuum brake bleeder with air compressor is my preferred way to bleed brakes. Mac Tools or similar. Totally worth a Ben Franklin not to yell at your wife "Up/Down" a billion times. And also, you should be flushing brake fluid at a regular service interval, so you will be doing your future self a favor for next time. Check for leaks at all your wheel calipers too. Sometimes overlooked when replacing brake parts. And get yourself some line wrenches and box of new bleeder nipples. It's the little things.

We bled the brakes last night and were able to flush out all the nasty stuff and continued until the fluid was coming out clear. The pedal is very stiff and feels like the brake booster isn't giving any assistance. Does anyone have a booster for an 80 laying around? Additionally, I think the rear calipers may be seized. This isn't ideal, but I knew there was a brake issue when I purchased the truck and was planning on putting work into the braking system. Good thing the cruiser is running excellent!

We bled the brakes last night and were able to flush out all the nasty stuff and continued until the fluid was coming out clear. The pedal is very stiff and feels like the brake booster isn't giving any assistance. Does anyone have a booster for an 80 laying around? Additionally, I think the rear calipers may be seized. This isn't ideal, but I knew there was a brake issue when I purchased the truck and was planning on putting work into the braking system. Good thing the cruiser is running excellent!
Is that truck green? I work with someone who sold his 80 a while back. Would be funny if you bought it. He wanted to sell it to me, but I’ve already got enough of a project with a full engine rebuild. He said it needed brakes and wheel bearings and possibly suspension components.

Dumb question, but did you check/replace the vacuum hose and clamps to the booster?

Also, there is a product called brake lube. Not joking. When you get to the calipers, lube goes on surfaces to keep them sliding/moving and not seizing. Obviously, do not get any of it on the brake pad and rotor, but a poorly functioning, rusty, caliper pin can be helped with a little brake lube. Every parts store carries it. A small tube will last you forever.

Sounds like the booster is either faulty or not getting vacuum. Is the vacuum hose and check valve to the booster in good order? It's good practice to never pump the brake pedal for bleeding unless it's a brand new master cylinder as the wear inside the bore can cut the seal on a worn cylinder. I've seen this happen more than once.

Using a c-clamp on the rear calipers to compress the pistons will let you know if they are seized if you can compress them they're good.

Sorry for the late reply and great information here fellas!

Sounds like the booster is either faulty or not getting vacuum. Is the vacuum hose and check valve to the booster in good order?
I'll check that hose tonight. I just pulled a OEM booster out of a 96' that someone in Belgrade wa parting out. The previous owner of my 80 installed a very cheap Amazon booster and I think that part may be the problem. There's no softness to the brake pedal at all, which sounds like one of the main signs the booster isn't working. I'll let you know what I find out.

Also, there is a product called brake lube. Not joking. When you get to the calipers, lube goes on surfaces to keep them sliding/moving and not seizing.
I have never heard of this and will give it a try before ordering new calipers. Thanks!

Is that truck green? I work with someone who sold his 80 a while back.
Nope, this is black and is the same color scheme as my 100. My wife said "Did you just buy another LandCruiser that's the same color?". 😂

As Evan said to me the other night, those are some serious "Farm Built" bumpers.

B5299B36-6949-46E1-9973-8B7B50383317.jpeg

4AB6AC16-5B4E-4E1D-9593-DBE35DFC9608_1_201_a.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom