100-Series Wet Footwell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't drive my LX470 very often, but I hopped in yesterday after the rain and found the drivers side footwell was wet. I checked the weather seals on the door, and didn't see anything obvious. Is this at all a common issue, and where else should I be looking to find the source of the leak?

The sunroof drains down the a pullar but it’s on the passenger side on mine.

Is your sunroof cracked open at all? There is also a large rubber grommet on the drivers side firewall that could allow water to come in.

The sunroof drains down the a pullar but it’s on the passenger side on mine.

there are 4 drains for the sunroof, 1 in each corner
front 2 down the A pillars
rear 2 down the C pillars

Sunroof is very much closed. Double and triple checked that. I have not had any windshield work done recently, but it does appear that the windshield has been replaced before.

How do I go about checking the sunroof drains and what exactly am I looking for?

Seth, i am not sure how to check them exactly. When you pull the a-pillar trim off you can see the clear tubes... you could look for obvious blockage, but I am not too sure after that. You could hose down the Cruiser and sit inside and see where the water is entering in.

Sunroof is very much closed. Double and triple checked that. I have not had any windshield work done recently, but it does appear that the windshield has been replaced before.

How do I go about checking the sunroof drains and what exactly am I looking for?
Open the sun roof and get up there, pour some water down in the drains and hope you see it draining below the vehicle. If not, some kind of line trimmer string or anything else to try and clear it out should help.
>> I didn't realize there was four drains until this forum. I will have to check my rear drains next.

On the 100 series forums the sunroof drain clog does seem to be noted a lot. Otherwise if the vehicle hasn't moved I think the only other seals to consider would be your window and door.

You could spray some soapy water on the windshield and blow compressed air from the inside, maybe, to see a potential leak.

I ran some wire down. It didn't want to go more than a couple feet. I bet string trimmer line would work better. I put some compressed air through it too. Kinda wish I'd poured water in before doing that just to know, but water drains out the bottom now. If it rains tonight I'll know in the morning if it's fixed.

I'm not sure how much rain we got overnight, but there does not appear to be any new water in the footwell. I should probably run the garden hose over it just to be sure.

did you check all 4 drains? or just the 1?

I've only checked the one so far. When I have a bit more time during the weekend I'll try some string trimmer line and check all of them.

I used some 2.7mm string trimmer line and I think that's probably the right tool for this job. I was able to get the line a bit over 6' down the drains. I found a bit of resistance about 4' in on the front driver's side drain. It cleared out with a couple passes. I'm going to make running that line down the drains another part of my oil change procedure in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom