Anyone find a good GPS app for Ipad/ Iphone for trails? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Instead of buying a garmin etc and having another device to deal with I would like to know if anyone has found a good GPS app for Iphone/Ipad.

I tried out Sygic GPS, but it only picked up a few forestry roads and I can't drop pins or couldn't figure how to anyways. Worked great using gps signal when outside cell signal but drained the battery fast. Have to keep it plugged in.

What else is out there?

I use MotionX on my iPad. I like it.

I prefer Gaia over MotionX. Map downloads on MotionX are agonizingly slow. Downloads on Gaia are a snap.
I have roads, and then USFS and USGS (same as on my old GPS laptop running Mac GPS Pro). All my tracks from the Mac have ported over w/o significant issues.

I prefer Gaia over MotionX. Map downloads on MotionX are agonizingly slow. Downloads on Gaia are a snap.
I have roads, and then USFS and USGS (same as on my old GPS laptop running Mac GPS Pro). All my tracks from the Mac have ported over w/o significant issues.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

has anyone used LeadNav systems. i am also looking for a good gps app. i came across them on instagram and they appear to have a good quality with a bunch of different uses

Have BCN, US Topo, Locus and none compare to Google Terrain on MotionX. I could put up with the bland UIs but the map quality/readability of MX trumps. Maybe I'm doing it wrong or maybe BCN just blocks the Google download but I cannot get Google maps (off or online) to come across. BCN does offer Accuterra maps for $20 but they don't look that much better. I do like how Trimble supports BLM/private land layers. Don't really have an appetite to spend another $20 to try Gaia (and then more for maps).

I could always use the maps app with the OK maps command but it's really not the ideal application that MotionX is. If only they supported Android.

I use Motion X. I hear good things about Gaia but it seems a bit pricey to try for me. Motion works great for the price and I'm invested already with all the slooowww map downloads I've done. They are painfully slow but I plan ahead and have them ready when needed.

My solutions so far are

for street nav: TomTom

for topos: iHikeGPS and TopoMaps

all store maps in your device so you can use them when out of WiFi or cell

all are avail in App Store

I am running them on an iPad 3

If anyone is going to be wheeling (or regularly wheels) Southern Colorado I need some beta testers for an Offroad App (offline capable) I'm developing. Thanks!

Last edited:
Is anybody in this community using Kamoot or HEMI maps in the US? Like the original post, I'm looking for the best available off-line (able) iPad GPS for PNW trails. Ideal solution would work with IOS 7.1.

x2 on Gaia
Seth, you never told me about Gaia!?!

I've been using Motion X for about year now and I really like it, but yes painfully slow map down loads. I just plan ahead before a trip. I will also add way points in that planning process as well

I use PDF maps by Avenza. It allows you to download maps and use them offline, which is very helpful out in remote areas with data coverage.

I use PDF Maps at work. I have it on my iphone and iPad and its works decently well. Lots of map support, just make sure you download before you head off the grid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom