Anyone familiar with the Middle East 80 Series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I recently just moved to Qatar, and looking into getting a LC for driving to work everyday, but most importantly wheeling! There is this sweet automatic 1995 LC I'm looking at with only 237 000 km in pretty good condition. There some things about it that I'm not sure of though:

-It is not full-time 4WD. Is that normal?
-The owner wasn't exactly sure how to place the truck into 4WD. First he pressed the "H4" button on the dash, and nothing happened (that was apparent.) Then he tried moving the manual gear lever, and a really loud gear grinding noise came (sounded like 2 moving gears touching.) When he tried to shift to park, the noise came again. Obviously this was concerning to me. Should I be worried?
-What is the purpose of the H4 button and how do you correctly place this truck in 4WD?
-There weren't any indicator lights or signs to show that 4WD was engaged. Should there be?
-Also I noticed that there is a sub fuel tank. How do you actually fill this tank with gas?

After some time fidgeting with the manual gear lever, the owner told me he managed to get it into 4WD, but I'm not sure if it was actually engaged as I didn't know how to tell.

All help is greatly appreciated. I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I'm just really excited to buy my first LC and want to make sure nothing goes wrong.

Here are some pics of the truck taken by the owner:
20160507_101843.jpg

20160507_101905.jpg

20160507_101930.jpg

Read up, Google and hit the search on here...

Non full time awd is normal on some 80.
Sounds like they're electronic locking hubs.
The issue here, is that while it's a good step you're here to ask, seems like the owner and you have no clue what's going on.

All of that shifting around should be occurring in neutral, it can be sounding the way you describe because he or you is switching into 4wd slowly. Can't be too slow otherwise slight grinding may occur.

Good luck.

Read up, Google and hit the search on here...

Non full time awd is normal on some 80.
Sounds like they're electronic locking hubs.
The issue here, is that while it's a good step you're here to ask, seems like the owner and you have no clue what's going on.

All of that shifting around should be occurring in neutral, it can be sounding the way you describe because he or you is switching into 4wd slowly. Can't be too slow otherwise slight grinding may occur.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply!

I admit that I don't know much about the 80 series 4WD system or wheeling in general as I just started looking into it. I'm hopefully going to be joining an off-roading club here to get more serious.

I tried to do some searches but I couldn't find anything as almost everything was specific to the US models. That's why I thought to come here for some help. Again, if anyone knows the answers to my questions it would be highly appreciated!

Hey guys,

I recently just moved to Qatar, and looking into getting a LC for driving to work everyday, but most importantly wheeling! There is this sweet automatic 1995 LC I'm looking at with only 237 000 km in pretty good condition. There some things about it that I'm not sure of though:

-It is not full-time 4WD. Is that normal?
-The owner wasn't exactly sure how to place the truck into 4WD. First he pressed the "H4" button on the dash, and nothing happened (that was apparent.) Then he tried moving the manual gear lever, and a really loud gear grinding noise came (sounded like 2 moving gears touching.) When he tried to shift to park, the noise came again. Obviously this was concerning to me. Should I be worried?
-What is the purpose of the H4 button and how do you correctly place this truck in 4WD?
-There weren't any indicator lights or signs to show that 4WD was engaged. Should there be?
-Also I noticed that there is a sub fuel tank. How do you actually fill this tank with gas?

After some time fidgeting with the manual gear lever, the owner told me he managed to get it into 4WD, but I'm not sure if it was actually engaged as I didn't know how to tell.

All help is greatly appreciated. I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I'm just really excited to buy my first LC and want to make sure nothing goes wrong.

Ok.

The H or L refers to High or Low ratio on the transfer box. H is for driving at normal speeds, L is for driving at slower speeds - mainly offroad. N is neutral - no drive at all.

Before moving onto the next stage, you need to understand that your car has three differentials. A differential allows a wheel to travel at a different speed to another wheel. You have a front diff (so the two front wheels can travel at different speeds to each other), a rear diff (same for the rears) and a centre diff - the centre diff allows the front axle to travel at a different speed to the rear axle - ie. the three diffs together allow each of the 4 wheels to travel at different speeds. This is essential when you're going round corners!

The second letter - (LL or HL) refers to the centre differential being locked. Normally its 'open' - with an open centre diff you can drive on road in 4x4 mode. all 4 wheels are receiving power. Unfortunately it only takes loss of traction on one wheel to stop the car from being able to move forward. this is because the centre diff sends power to the fastest axle and the axle diff sends power to the fastest wheel. this is what you call "full time" 4x4.

With a centre diff locked the front and read axles are forced to turn at the same speed. it now takes a loss of traction on 2 wheels to stop us moving forward - one at the front and one at the back. This is exactly what you need on a slippery surface, but if you try to drive in this mode on road you risk something called "windup". because tyres have high grip on tarmac surfaces it is more likely that the speed difference between the front and back axles around a corner are not going to result in loss of traction. this can result in enormous stress on your transmission and can damage or even break it. only use a locked centre diff on loose surfaces!

Your prado may or may not have a lockable rear diff (on a separate switch). This forces both rear wheels to travel at the same speed - so if you lock the centre and rear diffs you force three of your 4 wheels to move at the same speed - even better for getting you moving when you're stuck.

Ok.

The H or L refers to High or Low ratio on the transfer box. H is for driving at normal speeds, L is for driving at slower speeds - mainly offroad. N is neutral - no drive at all.

Before moving onto the next stage, you need to understand that your car has three differentials. A differential allows a wheel to travel at a different speed to another wheel. You have a front diff (so the two front wheels can travel at different speeds to each other), a rear diff (same for the rears) and a centre diff - the centre diff allows the front axle to travel at a different speed to the rear axle - ie. the three diffs together allow each of the 4 wheels to travel at different speeds. This is essential when you're going round corners!

The second letter - (LL or HL) refers to the centre differential being locked. Normally its 'open' - with an open centre diff you can drive on road in 4x4 mode. all 4 wheels are receiving power. Unfortunately it only takes loss of traction on one wheel to stop the car from being able to move forward. this is because the centre diff sends power to the fastest axle and the axle diff sends power to the fastest wheel. this is what you call "full time" 4x4.

With a centre diff locked the front and read axles are forced to turn at the same speed. it now takes a loss of traction on 2 wheels to stop us moving forward - one at the front and one at the back. This is exactly what you need on a slippery surface, but if you try to drive in this mode on road you risk something called "windup". because tyres have high grip on tarmac surfaces it is more likely that the speed difference between the front and back axles around a corner are not going to result in loss of traction. this can result in enormous stress on your transmission and can damage or even break it. only use a locked centre diff on loose surfaces!

Your prado may or may not have a lockable rear diff (on a separate switch). This forces both rear wheels to travel at the same speed - so if you lock the centre and rear diffs you force three of your 4 wheels to move at the same speed - even better for getting you moving when you're stuck.

Thank you very much for the extensive reply, it's definitely appreciated.

The questions I have now are specifically related to the Middle East 80 series model I think. There is an H4 button on the dash but it didn't seem to do anything. There is also a manual lever to change into 4WD but when the owner tried to move it, a loud gear grinding noise came. It took him a while to finally get it into 4WD.

So how do you correctly put this truck in 4WD? And why is there both an H4 button and a manual lever? But most concerning, what was that loud grinding noise?

BTW I don't think this specific truck has rear lockers.

Thanks again for all your help.

On most 4WD systems, you should have the transmission in neutral to shift from 2WD to 4WD. Put the automatic trans selector in "N" and give it a few seconds to spin down internally. Then the 2WD/4WD selector should move freely into any selection.

There may be instructions for using the 4WD features on the sun visor. Also in the owners manual if it is still with the truck, or go order one from Toyota, would be worth it. I learned a few good things from reading the owners manual for my 80.

The console looks interesting (factory?), what are the electrical buttons for on the console?

The console looks interesting (factory?), what are the electrical buttons for on the console?

Actually that is a fridge and freezer (ice maker) that came on the Middle East models from the factory. The buttons are "off," "cool," and "ice."

On most 4WD systems, you should have the transmission in neutral to shift from 2WD to 4WD. Put the automatic trans selector in "N" and give it a few seconds to spin down internally. Then the 2WD/4WD selector should move freely into any selection.

There may be instructions for using the 4WD features on the sun visor. Also in the owners manual if it is still with the truck, or go order one from Toyota, would be worth it. I learned a few good things from reading the owners manual for my 80.

Thanks for your reply. I do remember the owner placed the truck in N first before attempting to shift the transfer case. It still made the really loud gear grinding noise. And when he tried to shift into P, it happened again. Everything else seems to work fine other than a rear electronic window that doesn't close all the way.

Should I run away?

I am a little concerned the 'owner' does not now how to work it? How long has he owned it? True many do not know how to use 'all the toys', but might be worth treading a little warily?

regards

Dave

I am a little concerned the 'owner' does not now how to work it? How long has he owned it? True many do not know how to use 'all the toys', but might be worth treading a little warily?

regards

Dave

Thanks for your reply Dave.

The owner has had it for only a year and a half. He told me he's only used the 4WD once or twice before. I think at the end he was finally able to get it into 4WD but after about 10 mins of "fighting it;" but again I'm not 100% sure how to tell if the 4WD is engaged or not.

If you're looking for advice, run away unless the price warrants it. You have a seller who's either playing dumb or ignorant on how to use his vehicle. Land cruisers are very loyal and reliable but they're also not made compounds that magically put themselves together when someone doesn't know how to take care of them. He didn't, or like I said is pretending he doesn't know. Bases in the region of the world that you're in, how does a dude that buys a second hand land cruiser not know how to put it into 4 low. As for you, I can't stress enough, read up. Tough love, and this is coming from a newbie.

Most central American models have part time 4x4. First, you probably have locking hubs. Go and change them from free to locked. Now get in and start your rig up. go into drive and while moving, press the 4x4 button. you should now be in 4x mode. (the Hi/low shifter should be in H or L position not neutral. I can press the button at high speeds with no grinding or ill effects 4x4 on the go.
The bigger issue is, what is the history, shape of this rig. Take it for a good inspection first. Contact the 4x4 club for a recommendation of a mechanic. Cheers.

My US Spec 80 was modified by a previous owner with what is called the Pin 7 mod (very popular among people here). It allows locking of the center differential lock (CDL) when in 4 Hi when a dash switch is installed to allow it. In my case, and many others, the switch is marked H4. In a standard US 80, the CDL automatically locks when the transfer case is shifted from 4H to 4L. The mod keeps the CDL unlocked until the switch is pressed. There will be an indicator light on the dash to inform you when it is on. It will blink until the CDL actually engages, then it stays lit.

I know nothing about the 80's sent to other markets, but here in the US we got full time 4WD. The truck is always in 4WD. The only way around that is to install manual hubs and associated parts for what's called a "part time kit", referring to part time 4WD (meaning it's in 2WD until you lock the hubs and shift into 4WD).

I agree w/ @decoco. Find another 80 from a seller who knows what he's talking about and use that time to educate yourself. This is a great reference, as is this.

Follow previous instructions and try doing it yourself.
Come to a stop.
Put in N
Shift the transfer case
Select gear easy on fuel
Try some figure 8's on dirt with it locked and unlocked.
Be thankful the owner is clueless,
Means the unit wasn't beat.
Repeat the process till you got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom