Anyone ever shortened the front of a 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering, has anyone ever cut the frame back behind the front of a 40? I know it's that far out because of the springs but couldnt you do some kind of custom coilover setup?

Wondering if this is possible because I'm not a huge fan of the huge friekin setup past the front of it. Plus youd get a way better approach angle..

Thanks

Where idiots roam...not doubt some idiot has attempted.

buy a uni mog or pinzgauer and sell the cruiser. with spring reversal and 38 or so inch tires not much to hang out .try hardcore maybey someone there can help good luck

No cant be done! Dont try it! Nobody ever has! Nobody ever will! :hillbilly:

Just kidding. I have toyota IFS mini truck rear springs mixed with wrangler leafs reversed on the front of mine and my approach is almost 90*. With coil overs and a 4 link (or something similar) you dont have anything in front of the axle so it would be about the only way to get a true 90* approach angle. However unless you are planning on driving straight up concrete walls I don"t think you need it.

If I'm reading this correctly, I think all you need to do is lengthen your wheelbase. Flip your front springs and run 55 springs in the rear.

I just don't like the look so much of the bumper, it sticks out bad in the front. Sometimes looks good though.

Don't own a 40 but have seen some really nice lookin ones on a few threads here, just wondering if it's possible or has ever been attempted.

I haven't seen any yet that have front coils, just thought it might have been done on here.

With 37" tires, flipped front springs and a custom front bumper, I've nearly got a 90 degree approach.

Not too difficult or expensive if big tires are in your plans. Otherwise going to need a link suspension.

Generally for most offroad situations a longer wheel base than 90 inches is desirable so most people extend the wheel base forward rather than shorten the frame rails. Also the most popular power steering option utilizes that front frame rail to mount the steering box. With larger tires there isn't much front overhang anyway. Finally the 8274 fits right in there. This isn't the best pic (I don't have a good profile shot on my computer), but you can see that I don't have much approach angle issues with 38's.
Nursing Pics 0421.jpg

bustanutley, that's exactly what I was looking for. Those are awesome! Yeah I know PS would be an issue, triangulating the linked suspension wouldnt be fun, making the t-case compatible, and all that stuff would be a pain,

But dang, those 40s look really good.

Id totally do a project like this if I knew anything about setting up and fabricating suspension stuff haha, just need to educate myself.

Any good threads on mud for that ^?

Thats a cool program. Wish I knew what it was talking about!

Thanks though, Ill use it later sometuime

Post this same question for the gentlemen on Pirate4x4.com. I am sure they would be glad to help:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom