Anyone carry/use an electric Chain Saw? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

surprised no one has mentioned the Stihl Msa 120 c-Bq, battery operated saw. I purchased one a few seasons ago to put on the 4 wheeler for limbing trails and whatnot. I was amazed at how long the battery lasted. Got this one on a deal where they had an extra battery with it. I have been very impressed with it.

Not to start too much of a flame war here, but I bought this house two years ago with no outdoor tools. I then went looking for a good cordless mower, and the Husqvarna won out, which was excellent. My second choice was the Stihl lawnmower.

The husqvarna mower uses the smaller 40V batteries also used on the smaller li-ion chainsaw model.

The Milwaukee saw appears a bit heavier built than that. Cheap replacement parts for Milwaukee too.

I have cordless Milwaukee chainsaw, angle grinder, impacts, M12 ratchets, weed trimmer, circular saw. One battery format, other than the lawnmower.

The new snowblower is gasoline. No going eco there.

interesting, I just read that Stihl says that electric chainsaws may not be stopped by the usual fiber chaps. So more dangerous in that respect than gas saws, it seems.

Anyone carry and use an electric Chain Saw?

Where I go we sometimes have fallen trees (small ones) or when gone for more than 5 days like to saw up some dead wood for the fire.

I've been thinking about carrying a small 12" or 16" saw for this plus I can use it around my place to small stuff.

Our local power company gives all the trucks Mikitas 12", as they pack small. I kind of like the husqvarna but and not used either.

Any Recommendations?
off
I carry a DeWalt 18 volt Sawzall with large tree trimming blades works great for me

I've been using the Stihl MSA 200C-BQ as my trail saw for two years and love it. Unless you expect to encounter a lot of down trees this is a great solution for an occasional trail job. Or days of firewood. No fuel smell in the truck. They cut very well. Just a small bar.

If your already invested into batteries with Makita/Milwaukee/DeWalt or other then go that way.

stihl_200C-BQ.jpg

Last edited:
interesting, I just read that Stihl says that electric chainsaws may not be stopped by the usual fiber chaps. So more dangerous in that respect than gas saws, it seems.
I did read in a couple places that they don't have the usual chain brake and continue to rotate after trigger is released. I haven't noticed it being dangerously different on mine tho. As a youngster I learned the hard way to respect a chainsaw, and glad I had steel toes on at the time or would have been much worse.

My battery Stihl works just like my gas saw with respect to the brake. And the chain stops rotating much quicker on the battery verse gas when you let go of the trigger. So I don’t see how chaps wouldn’t stop it as long as your off the trigger. The one thing the electric does is generate high torque right from get go.

I just picked up a 20volt Dewalt saw. It has no issue ripping through the green ash we have and the 5ah batteries I have last a surprisingly long time.

My battery Stihl works just like my gas saw with respect to the brake. And the chain stops rotating much quicker on the battery verse gas when you let go of the trigger. So I don’t see how chaps wouldn’t stop it as long as your off the trigger. The one thing the electric does is generate high torque right from get go.

well, Stihl knows more about chainsaws than I do, so I'll take their word for it. Good enough for me. I imagine what they mean is that it may eventually stop the saw but that it may keep going longer than the gas one -in your leg- because of high torque. From memory, they basically said that the chaps were not sufficient protection with some electric saws.
Not sure why are you talking about being off the trigger. Not obvious at all to me that one has time to release the trigger if the saw gets thrown at your leg. Some people may even clamp down on it more in their panic state trying to manhandle the thing. I would hope that the chaps are designed to stop a -gas- saw even with the trigger pulled.

Well I can’t speak from experience with the battery saw but can with the MS290. My chaps stopped that chain before cutting into my leg. But I immediately was off the trigger. I was amazed how fast it stopped the chain.

Now if you didn’t get off the trigger I have no idea which would cause more damage. The battery saw uses a very narrow chain. That could be another variable. Personally I can’t imagine continuing to hold down the trigger if your in the process of removing your leg. But get the panic part. I’ve just been operating saws coming up on two decades so things are pretty instinctual at this point.

Share the link, I curious to read it.

Wow, you must have been glad to have had the foresight to put the chaps on! Good for you! Bet you won't forget to put them on in the future eh. Gives me the incentive to remember as well!

I have a 290 as well and some Stihl chaps. So good to know the chaps will likely do the trick. I do remember Wranglerstar on youtube putting a saw to a couple of chaps and the stihl ones only allowed a small scratch on the log he used as undersupport. I imagine he must have kept the power on for that test, though.

This was not a lengthy discussion that I saw, just a brief mention on the Stihl site. Could have been the usual lawyer-driven CYA, of course.

I cut 6-8 cords of wood per year as it’s our primary heat source. I’ve never cut myself with the chainsaw but had a close call in the beginning that prompted proper gear.

I really want the new MS462CM to complete my kit. The 290 while a great saw really looses its grunt at 11,000’

the USFS certified chaps cost a little more than the standard stihl chaps, but it is what is required when we are cutting for the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club . One of the sawyers we've worked with in the past has a stihl cordless saw - he mentioned that the USFS recently said that it was not an approved saw since it hasn't been tested with the chaps. Or maybe it was tested with the chaps and it can cut thru them.

either way - make sure you have some chaps on this fall - I've seen what chainsaws due to those without them and it isn't pretty! This is with people that have had years of experience running saws.

it is scary good to be reminded of the dangers of chainsaws by people with more experience than I have. Scariest is how oblivious I was of those dangers for the longest time after I started to use them. I think most people will go buy a chainsaw without even knowing that there are chaps etc and why they are needed. I sure didn't when I started out... I should count my blessings that I only had one or two close calls over decades of intermittent use, I guess. But back to the point, I think if we are to discuss electric vs gas saws, the issue of appropriate chaps should be part of it. I would like to know more about that cuz I'm thinking of going cordless too.

The chaps should meet: USFS 6170-4G or NFPA 1977-05

you might be able to get additional information on the chaps and electric chainsaws per the contact on the USFS memo:
Beneficial comments (recommendations, additions, deletions) and any pertinent data that may be used in
improving this document should be addressed to: USDA Forest Service, Missoula Technology and
Development Center,
5785 Highway 10 West,
Missoula, MT 59808
ddavis02@fs.fed.us
USFS memo

Chaps for sale

:censor:.... and all this time I thought that my Stihl chaps were as good as it gets..... sheesh, now I gotta buy even more expensive ones...?
thanks a lot...!

🙂

I got the 60v dewalt one for the lake house last spring. it is a beast and the battery lasts a longtime. can fully recommend it.

Good info and thanks for posting all that. I have all Stihl gas models but recently bought a cheap Harbor Freight electric pole saw to carry for our RV where sometimes the camping pad is overhung with branches that would rip up the roof or damage the A/C units up there. Haven't had a chance to use it yet.

My buddy and I have a small arborist company. I’ve very seriously considered investing in Husky T536Li for in tree stuff the comparable Sthil version hasn’t made it over here yet. But that’s top handle, not super great for ground work. For light duty down low, I’ve honestly thought about buying the Harbor Freight Lynx brand electric saw and paying extra for the protection package and just using the snot out of it. If it breaks, get a free new one.
I looked at those HF saws today and was intrigued. I think almost every saw mentioned here was probably made in China. I like your thinking.

I ended up getting the Mikita XCU06T. This thing is so small and light. I really had my doubts about it when it arrived because it was so light.

I had a 80 foot fallen pine tree on my property so I picked a section that was about 9" in diameter and the saw went through it in less than 35 seconds. I tried and few more cuts and the same cutting speed. I was impressed. It was like wow fast for such a small saw.

Pros are this is so small and it packs easily in a little bag; super light weight, and the 2 batteries last a long time, If you subtract the price of 2 batteries and the charger the saw was $100, so inexpensive also.

Cons are not much torque so this is a saw you can't press hard down on it but rather just let it cut and it does cut well.

For a small camp saw or to get a down tree out of the way it's perfect (provided it's not a ponderosa pine).

IMG_20191004_173711.jpg

IMG_20191004_173758.jpg

IMG_20191004_173747.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom