Any way to boost power steering? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The 200 series is still on wife duty for the next few years. Her main complaint from day 1 is how ‘heavy’ the steering feels compared to other vehicles.

Is there any way to boost or dial in more power steering to soften the wheel turning effort?

We bought it brand new as a 2021 model, now with 30k miles so I’m sure the fluid and mechanics are in good shape.

Have you tried flushing power steering fluid to make sure its good and clean? With only 30k miles it may be fine, but worth a check. In general the LC/LX power steering is not as "boosted" as some of the domestic large SUV's, so it does feel tighter in a side by side comparison.

Have you tried flushing power steering fluid to make sure its good and clean? With only 30k miles it may be fine, but worth a check. In general the LC/LX power steering is not as "boosted" as some of the domestic large SUV's, so it does feel tighter in a side by side comparison.
No this is not it.

The 16+ power steering is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than earlier year 200s.

It just is what it is and nothing can be done about it.

Last edited:
How long has she been driving the 200? Does it have any wheel modifications?

A common knee jerk reaction to driving any new car is how the controls feel (in contrast to what they're use to). Brakes, HUD controls, etc. No disrespect to the wife but perhaps give her some time to acclimate? It is after all, one of the finest vehicles on the market and designers have dialed in the controls meaningfully.

Let her know that the 200-series (I think this is true in Kuwait?) also have variable ratio steering with VGRS. Her reward for is not having to turn it as much to maneuver.

No this is not it.

The 16+ power steering is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than earlier year 200s.

It just is what it is and nothing can be done about it.
Interesting. Might have to do some part number digging to see what changed.

I’d think it’s the pump sending more pressure, but could be the rack..

If it is the pump installing the older pressure relief valve could lighten up the steering on a 16+

I had an 11 and now own a 16. I noticed no difference in steering between the two.

Pump and rack are both same part numbers for 2013 and 2016 US landcruiser.

VGRS adapter is different.

VGRS was introduced to LCs in the 2013 and up models. 2012 and earlier cruiser didn't have it. All LX570s have it.

That doesn't necessarily mean steering effort changed any. Just the number of turns of the steering wheel at low speeds.

VGRS was introduced to LCs in the 2013 and up models. 2012 and earlier cruiser didn't have it. All LX570s have it.

That doesn't necessarily mean steering effort changed any. Just the number of turns of the steering wheel at low speeds.
Yes the steering effort doesn't feel different from a non VGRS cruiser

Steering wheel turn locck to lock in standstill is roughly 2.5 turns from left to right

I did multiple steering flush (5x) using OEM toyota steering fluid (i think its same as a different grade transmission fluid). In my case, I used a seafoam steering fluid flush liquid which I used and flushed multiple times. I used pump to drain all fluid from bottom and saw large black particles through multiple flushes.
after than, the steering feels a LOT more lighter than before but not a super light steering on nissan or other cars.

I for one like the heavy steering feel. I’ve had many people drive it and tell me, “wow that feels like a tank.”

I for one like the heavy steering feel. I’ve had many people drive it and tell me, “wow that feels like a tank.”
Although the heavy feel you are mentioning could be the normal threshold of the steering tightness, when the steering rack gets clogged, it does get heavier at low speeds in 5 to 10 miles per hour speed, it feels a lot heavier.

On my old 2009 LX570, when the new OEM steering rack was put in when the shop was replacing an old leaky one, I did notice that the new rack felt tighter and "heavier" than the old one which was super smooth and had more of a one finger level of effort. I flushed it a few times after about a month of breakin and it helped, but the new OEM rack was definitely heavier. I bet something changed in the design along the way.

So my 2021 is so awful to steer as well, took it back to warranty twice and they said tyres are larger, gvm kit blah blah
I got so annoyed I just Swapped the steering pump over and still the same
So there’s a solenoid on the pump for variable pressure for high low speeds, on top of the coil there’s an adjustment, j wound it right out and over 1000rpm I can steer it with my pinkie, under these rpm it’s almost 2 hands to steer, so annoying on long drives I get so tired driving it
I’ve removed the coil and it tests ok on 12v, I’m now yet to wire up 12v constantly on the coil to see if it gives full pressure at lower rpm
I’m guessing it’s a proportional coil that varies current and voltage from the computer via speed

On my old 2009 LX570, when the new OEM steering rack was put in when the shop was replacing an old leaky one, I did notice that the new rack felt tighter and "heavier" than the old one which was super smooth and had more of a one finger level of effort. I flushed it a few times after about a month of breakin and it helped, but the new OEM rack was definitely heavier. I bet something changed in the design along the way.
yup my 08 LC was cadillac like 1 finger easy

new oem steering rack added = lot more effort

yup my 08 LC was cadillac like 1 finger easy

new oem steering rack added = lot more effort
Yup, its just what Toyota/Lexus did on the newer 200 racks. I have not found a way to fix it on any of the 200's we've had.

So
Update, new pump made no difference
Adjusting the variable power steering solenoid on top of the pump made a difference up high over 1000rpm but went stiff like it was before under these rpm
After pulling relief valves apart and mucking around with varying the voltage on the coil it didn’t make a change
I found one tiny shim in the top electronic variable relief, removed that and so far feels like a different car, full power steering right through the rpm range, not awful heavy as before ( heavy was still drivesble) you can hardly steer the thing with no power steering
Going for an 800km drive over the weekend to see how it feels

72110687517__F31AD455-4CAF-4287-843C-239FF6F43CD4.jpeg

IMG_3507.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom