Any other cruisers in Costa Rica? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Was just wondering if anybody can vouch for this fellow. He is located in Costa Rica and has some decent looking rigs listed on Ebay. I am in the market for Troopy and he said there are about 5 solid ones in the country. Looking for some possible leads and/or references?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Land...3363d90b0&item=151233859760&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Best,

Fred

Never heard of this "jxatruch" guy but it says that he is based in Alajuela which is near the Capitol and airport and that is where most of the Cruisers are.
As far as I can see he has two pick ups for sale and no Troopy's on Ebay.
That white one is also for sale on crautos.com asking $16,038 negotiable.
His business name seems to be: MOTOR CITY SANTA ANA.

Maybe somebody else can chime in?

Rudi

Rudi

I can ask around for you, but without a name its hard to get real info on anyone, business names don't mean a lot there. And just because someone knows him/them it will not insure the deal meets your desired expectation. Is he Tico or Gringo?

But, most importantly: Caveat Emptor!

Lets take it from the top: the business proposition on Ebay is that you send >$10,000 dollars to a guy in central america for truck you have never seen or driven and someday he will ship it to the US where you can pick it up once US CBP releases it. And all in good faith because you have no legal recourse or PayPal buyer protection. How does that sound?

It will be far less risky and costly for you to fly to CR, spend a week shopping for an LC, and put it on the docks of Limon or Caldera yourself.

If you do, look into these guys: http://wheelscr.com/
A few years ago I worked with them on a deal and subsequently recommended them to a few people (Gringos and Ticos), with great results. For ~300 bux they are the best dealing going in CR for car shopping Russ & Kattia

It will take some work but it will be much less risky than buying on eBay sight unseen.

[caution small rant]:
Over the past 8 years I have looked at somewhere between 80 and 100 truck in CR (LCs and LRs), thus have a pretty good data set of how they are maintained, "restored", and posted up FS. As a result, I have have only bought 6 trucks in that time....
In short trucks/cars listed for sale in CR are rarely what they appear to be. That doesn't mean there are not decent deals to be had, you just need to be skeptical, keep your expectations low, and GO SEE THE TRUCK.

Just last week we went to look at an FJ56 that looked great and sounded like it had been well maintained. Asking $4,000. But within 7 minutes of seeing it, we determined it wasn't worth $300 in parts. There are no great steals/deals in CR on cars and trucks, but there are good ones. If it seems like an amazing deal or steal on-line then it probably ain't.
[/rant]

Great advice. I used Russ at wheels.cr for my 40. Ad as you can tell, I got a great one;)

Also cars are not cheap here so anyone looking to find a good deal down here, you really need to come down and look hard.
I saw a few old 40/ for sale near huacas last week.

I was in the big city (Liberia) today and talked to the manager of "Multi-Frio"
This is the company which does all the A/C work for Purdy Motor, the Toyota dealer.
I asked about building in an A/C set into a Cruiser and he said that no such set exist in Costa Rica.
Option 1. Find an used/old set here in CR or
Option 2. Bring one (Vintage Air?) from the US and they will do the job for C300,000 or roughly a bit less than $600 at the present exchange rate.

Rudi

Rudi: Thanks for the info. If I can't source a unit there then I'll have to figure out how to get one to CR from the US. I wonder if the Vintage Air unit would fit in an oversized duffle bag :). Time to check the TACA airlines baggage policy yet again.

-Andy

Heredia is where we will be staying but traveling all over that valley looking at cruisers and enjoying the people and scenery.
cheers

Rudi: Thanks for the info. If I can't source a unit there then I'll have to figure out how to get one to CR from the US. I wonder if the Vintage Air unit would fit in an oversized duffle bag :). Time to check the TACA airlines baggage policy yet again.

-Andy

Vintage Air or this one click here from CCOT.

Rudi

Heredia is where we will be staying but traveling all over that valley looking at cruisers and enjoying the people and scenery.
cheers

Do you want to have a look at mine? Click -► BJ40 for sale

Rudi

BJ green,
The customer is looking for a more stock rig but thanks, that is a nice looking unit.

Man, you can't sell this truck! It's all you down to the springs! MUD won't be the same-We won't be the same--
There have been a couple of vehicles I have owned in the past, and after many years, realized I made a big mistake by selling them(1932 Model "A" Ford, 1963 230SL Mercedes, 73 VW Bug). This reminds me of those.
Everytime I see a post by bj40green, I see this truck in my mind----
Where will I get insight into Kirchoff's law afterwards?
Gary
Rudi, will you purchase another after selling?

I will be a new to CR BJ60 owner within this year i hope. I will be near dominical on central/south pacific coast. Any tips on shipping my bj60? I realize the duty etc and shipping will set my back aprox 4K, but i want my rig as its being built to bring. I have a couple of questions..
any contacts for shipping...? so far i have a quote of 4k for shipping and taxes..also need some rust repair..it is worth it to wait and get it done there or handle it here..or mexico...?
Franco

I will be a new to CR BJ60 owner within this year i hope. I will be near dominical on central/south pacific coast. Any tips on shipping my bj60? I realize the duty etc and shipping will set my back aprox 4K, but i want my rig as its being built to bring. I have a couple of questions..
any contacts for shipping...? so far i have a quote of 4k for shipping and taxes..also need some rust repair..it is worth it to wait and get it done there or handle it here..or mexico...?
Franco

Are you buying BJ60 in US and looking to ship down? If so, from socal? FWIW, BJ60s (and their parts) are not very common in CR, best to do all maintnance and overhaul work up north. Shipping to pacific would be to Caldera. Make sure they can give you 90 days visa on the truck there or truck my have to go to SJO and released there. I've heard stories... That will give you 3 months to figure out all the other stuff to get CR plates on it. Also tarrifs went up quite a bit last year like +25%, so triple check. If you don't already know, inspections in CR (RTV) are VERY tough. I see guys with older trucks (carb and diesel) go thru 3 and 4 rounds before getting cleared. Make sure your truck is capable of passing. Not just emissions but chassis too. And "tipping" doesn't help at RTV. Unless you have a BJ60 now, you may want to consider just buying in CR, you may find it much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom