Any other cruisers in Costa Rica? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you buying BJ60 in US and looking to ship down? If so, from socal? FWIW, BJ60s (and their parts) are not very common in CR, best to do all maintnance and overhaul work up north. Shipping to pacific would be to Caldera. Make sure they can give you 90 days visa on the truck there or truck my have to go to SJO and released there. I've heard stories... That will give you 3 months to figure out all the other stuff to get CR plates on it. Also tarrifs went up quite a bit last year like +25%, so triple check. If you don't already know, inspections in CR (RTV) are VERY tough. I see guys with older trucks (carb and diesel) go thru 3 and 4 rounds before getting cleared. Make sure your truck is capable of passing. Not just emissions but chassis too. And "tipping" doesn't help at RTV. Unless you have a BJ60 now, you may want to consider just buying in CR, you may find it much easier.

X2, very good answered REDrum!

FYI.... the import tariff for vehicles 7 years and older went recently up from 73% to 79.03%. This tariff is to be paid over the CIF (Cost Insurance Freight) amount. So......... bring your wallet.

Rudi

Last edited:
Hey Rudi any details for parts guys ?? I'm in need of fender flares for riteve.

Proud owner of Beast. 77 BJ40

Hi Ryan,
You don't find them at parts shops. You'll find them at car decoration shops. The shops that do black windows, luxury rims, alarm systems, body striping, ahooga horns and so on.
Or you borough tires from a buddy and go to the inspection.

Rudi

Hi Guys,
I hear you guys talking about my country, so if you need some parts and where to find them let me know, I'm in san jose. fell free to contact by PM or by mail thormenor78@gmail.com
BTW , Im selling my 1983 bj60, its about to go out of the shop with new frame 33 inch inch tires and goes with a lot of spare parts.

see you on the trail !!!!

Victor

So taxes are 79% of CIF. What is CIF? South and Central America sound like appealing places to live, I would love to bring my Cruiser, but taxes seem rediculous in many places. I really don't know a lot about this stuff. Sounds like CR might be the same way?

CIF = Costs, Insurance and Freight.
The government policy is that they don't need all those old vehicles here so the import taxes are sky high. The older the car, the higher the tax.
So.... you buy a new car here (a bit more expensive than in the US) or bring a few years old car from the States.
The problem is that the models here are not the same as the models in the US so parts can be a problem.
I had a 1990 4Runner (USA model) and needed some parts, short story.... they had to be ordered in Japan.

Rudi

Last edited:
So if I bring my 40, and it costs say 1000 dollars to ship it their, they charge almost another 800 in tax or CIF? I guess maybe I should start another thread huh? Sorry.

Let's do some calculating
Costs: The value of your car, say $5000
Insurance: Say $500
Freight: Shipping (container) to Costa Rica, say $3000
Total CIF = $8,500

Import tax/duty is 73.21% for cars older than 6 years.
So import tax is: $8,500 x 73.21% = $6222.85

Rudi

I hgave been able to ship vehicles back to Costa Rica for $600, from Delaware. The Dole containers come back empty and they will let you load your vehjicle in them for chump change, relatively speaking. BJ40 Green is correct on how the calculations are made.

Nice you ever come out to Fortuna or Arenal? Im on the lake about 25 min from Fortuna

I hgave been able to ship vehicles back to Costa Rica for $600, from Delaware. The Dole containers come back empty and they will let you load your vehjicle in them for chump change, relatively speaking. BJ40 Green is correct on how the calculations are made.

FYI, I ship back to US vintage Land Rovers, usually one or two a year. I just sent a 1970 Series IIA back thru Miami. DHS/Customs tapped it for intrusive inspection. A private customs agent went to my shipper (Crowley) grabbed the truck, held the truck for 16 days, and didn't return it until I paid a 1,900 inspection and storage fee. And I didn't even get a reach-a-round.... Total cost (this time) to get truck from Alejuela to Limon to Miami to Boston 4,300 bux.

That sucks man, In Canada any vehicle that is 15 years or older does not need to be regulated, however it does of course need to pass customs, wondering if it is as much a pain in the ass, as MERICA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom