any known weakness? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The parking brake is separated from the transfer case's oil by a seal that tends to leak. Parking brake shoes get drenched in oil and die.

The factory seats and driver's position are IMO a HUGE weakness. Only the driver's side has a slider mechanism, and neither side reclines at all. The gas and brake pedals are at such a height that you can't really comfortably rest your heel on the floorboards. It leaves you wondering if the reason why LC's never wear out is because they wear out their owners first.

The steering apparatus is a weakness in that it seems to have far more parts and connections than is really necessary. I'm just starting to learn that bit of my truck, but there seem to be at least five pivot-points with a tendency to wear and loosen - contributing to slop in the front end. . . to the point where there are numerous aftermarket options for gutting out and replacing it.

EDIT TO ADD: For whatever insane reason, Toyota never gave the U.S. market 40 a transmission with the overdrive that it rather desperately needs.

The gas and brake pedals are at such a height that you can't really comfortably rest your heel on the floorboards.

try 6" heels :flamingo:

The steering apparatus is a weakness in that it seems to have far more parts and connections than is really necessary. I'm just starting to learn that bit of my truck, but there seem to be at least five pivot-points with a tendency to wear and loosen - contributing to slop in the front end. . .

That is done on purpose. All that crap, especially the center arm, wears out to save the steering box. An overhaul once every 100k mi is a small price to pay for reliability in the bush.

For whatever insane reason, Toyota never gave the U.S. market 40 a transmission with the overdrive that it rather desperately needs.

Same reason Sammy wrote the song.

The only real weakness is that the bezel is removable, allowing people to put them back on wrong and exposing themselves to intense ridicule on this forum. :D

Heeps don't have bezels to remove and screw up... :meh:

The only real weakness is that the bezel is removable, allowing people to put them back on wrong and exposing themselves to intense ridicule on this forum. :D

Heeps don't have bezels to remove and screw up... :meh:

I like that one.

Seems like some people really do not like having a fj40, not sure why some people like to own something they think is so bad. No overdrive, seats that do not recline etc. Not sure if they are comparing it to a new vehicle or one of the same period. Did car's before the 80's have overdrive? Cannot blame Toyota for not providing something that was not common in the 70's or 60's can you.

Warn hubs fitted on many have been known to fail. Asian hubs are said to be stronger.

Some run Warn hubs as a "weak link" to protect harder to change parts.

As said previously, it all depends on how hard you wheel them.

don't ask what all I have broken wheeling . . . :rolleyes:

this is not yet fixed
broken spring.jpg

its strange, I have always heard that warn hubs were the best hands down....but I guess it sounds like as far as fj, not so much. I hadn't even heard of aisin hubs before being a member of the forum. have fj's always used warns?

its strange, I have always heard that warn hubs were the best hands down....but I guess it sounds like as far as fj, not so much. I hadn't even heard of aisin hubs before being a member of the forum. have fj's always used warns?

Aisin hubs (early ones are marked ASCO) are a Toyota part. Warn hubs were installed by US dealers back in the day on trucks that came from the factory with no hubs, i.e. they had drive plates.

Did car's before the 80's have overdrive? Cannot blame Toyota for not providing something that was not common in the 70's or 60's can you.

:lol:

Really?

Yes "car's" had overdrive...

:meh:

I find on the Internet that manual transmissions did not generally come with an overdrive until the 1980's. Is that wrong, did other 4x4's in the 70's have manual transmission with an overdrive? I am looking to be educated as to when they were really did start putting them in at the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom