Any ideas? Coolant leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It’s been awhile!

261K miles, Ive noticed a coolant smell from time to time in the 80. I initially thought it was one of the heater cores finally leaking, going to cost me a weekend. Found no evidence of heater cores leaking, which made me look into the rest of the system.

Recently replaced seeping radiator hoses with OEM ones as well as OEM clamps, also replaced the heater valve. Thought I eliminated all of my leaks. Motor recently got front crank and oil pump cover done.

Crawled under the 80 tonight to find coolant leaking visibly down the block from the area or PHH. PHH was done by PO. I’m not entirely sure what I am looking at, but PHH is pushed snug against the engine.

With the coolant spread, does anybody think this is anything else? FHH? Head Gasket? Around intake manifold? Or just a spraying from failed or loose PHH?

thanks a bunch!

9DEF9B36-D510-4137-B685-C71EC94FDD33.jpeg

CD729B03-B9F3-4801-9979-302CEC22BEEF.jpeg

I don't like the look or pattern of the coolant, but it could be spray.

The only thing that makes me lean to the PHH is the fact that it's a blue silicone hose and they are known to fail early on the PHH. I woul pick up Gates Green stripe and either replace or bypass the PHH.

It’s either the PHH, because silicone hoses don’t like to bond to metal the way rubber hoses do (paging @NLXTACY ) or it’s one of the throttle body bypass lines.

What Joey said. It doesn't look like a lot is coming out at a time, but it is weeping along and then dripping down your engine.

You might consider some UV dye to help you trace it better. I wish coolant just came stock with UV dye.....

I think if it was your head gasket you would see/feel it in how the engine ran but you can always rule out a head gasket for $20 with a kit from harbor freight. I had a similar leak and it was the coolant lines that ran through the throttle body but that made a real mess and doesn't seem like what you have here. More than likely it is the PHH . It looks like I can see coolant on the head near the clamps so I doubt very seriously it is the head gasket. I'd start it up and see if you can hunt the leak down that way.

PHH and its Li'l brother coolant hose that goes to throttle body

See if you can rotate those clamps on the phone and get the clamps in a different spot and at least a 90 degree angle to each other.rotating the clamps will get a different bite on the hose and maybe alleviate the leak.if it’s not that it’s the HG,which I had a 01 Ford with a v6 and the HG was leaking coolant just like that,ran it for 50,000 miles like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom