Any advice for a young man?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has @theglobb commented here already? He is probably one of the youngest guys here in the forum who drove a 70 as his daily.
First hand impressions from him.
I'm pretty sure he'd second this
Hi, hello. I'll share some of my thoughts on this.

I had an FJ62 for my car from the age of 16-17. I hated the automatic and the 3fe's gas mileage so I wanted something diesel. Then I stumbled across a BJ75 Troopcarrier in my price range for around the same price the 62 could be sold for. From there on out that car was my daily for 3 solid years. I put around 75,000 VERY SLOW miles on it in those 3 years. Every now and then something somewhat major would break and I would be out of a car for 3-7 days. I also had very limited funds being in highschool so I learned how to fix everything that went wrong. Rebuilding the front axle, replacing wheel bearings, radiator goes out, replacing the alternator, brakes, adjusting valves, U-Joints, etc etc you get the point... I drove the snot out of this car.

When I graduated high school my buddies and I drove it from North Carolina to California and everywhere in between. Pretty much nothing went wrong mechanically in some odd 10,000 miles of driving in a month. Here's a video if you would like to see more on that

Last June my crankshaft exploded in my 3B, I put another 3B in just to have that one blow up 200 miles later... pretty heartbreaking as that sapped the last of my funds for a while to put towards it. I'm now almost a year in on an engine swap for it but its been out for a year now. Basically what I'm saying is that you never know whats gonna happen with these old cars. I turbo'd my 3B cause it was too dang slow, and downright dangerous to drive across America on any highway. That's why it blew up. If you keep your engine relatively stock then they should be pretty bulletproof if well maintained, along with anything else on these old rigs.

Basically to sum up my thoughts:
Learn how to work on your own vehicle, even just basic maintenance like changing fluids will save you a ton of money instead of having some shop do it. Alternator goes out? Shop will charge you $500 some dollars to swap it out when it would take you an hour or so and a couple tools... I learned everything about wrenching on these cars from a mix of this forum and YouTube. Didn't know much at all when I started and now I know quite a lot, if I can do it you can too.

If you're looking for a daily, go with the prado. It will have much more power and be much better on the highway compared to any 3B powered cruiser. I did drive across America in one but it was at 65mph max and we weren't in a rush...

If you do end up getting a 2nd beater car then my personal vote is on the BJ70 then, in my opinion, they have much more character and the engine would be much more friendly to wrench on for a beginner. My dad had a 1993 Prado so that's just my personal observation after driving the 2 vehicles.

You definitely can daily these old cars, it just isn't for everyone. In the downtime of my troopy being out of business I have daily driven a 1987 Isuzu Pup which I had to push start everywhere for 4 months and a 1986 4Runner... I just like old cars, rarely anything goes wrong if they have been well maintained but that doesn't mean they are immune. Nothing was wrong with my isuzu pup (other than the starter) I put wheel bearings and sparkplugs in it after it sat for 8 years and drove it 9 thousand miles trouble free. Same with my 4Runner. Something will go wrong at some point with one of them, it'll be out of service for 3 days or so and then I can put another 10,000 miles on it no issues. If some odd piece goes bad it could take a week or longer to just find the part and then have it shipped from overseas... I always had a parent's car or friend's car I could borrow in that downtime most of the time.

If money isnt that big of a deal, I second @FJBen get some reliable cheap daily and a cruiser alongside it. Better to start now before you have a wife, 3 snot-nosed kids and you're trying to run a business all at the same time. At least that's how my 20-year-old self views it. Best of luck, hope I have been some help!

Here's a list of probably like 80% of the stuff I have done to the troopy since owning it, I forget stuff here and there and it doesn't get put on the list but there's just an idea for maintenance and cost of daily driving one of these old rigs. Don't mean to scare you at all just trying to be as clear as possible
Screenshot 2023-04-18 200417.png

and then work done to it before I had it
Screenshot 2023-04-18 200450.png

@SipLife is a youngster with a couple older cruisers in the texas area. His whole family is in to them and they Probabaly have some connections in the area.

I thought they are around Dallas? Could be completely wrong.

Edit: I’m selling them short. They build and do all the cruiser work/maintenance. Hope to finally meet them as SAS7!

Last edited:
@SipLife is a youngster with a couple older cruisers in the texas area. His whole family is in to them and they Probabaly have some connections in the area.

I thought they are around Dallas? Could be completely wrong.

Edit: I’m selling them short. They build and do all the cruiser work/maintenance. Hope to finally meet them as SAS7!
Yes we are located near Dallas, Rowlett to be exact. We do all our work on our cruisers. In the Dallas area we have not found a cruiser shop that is trustworthy. Will not name drop here but I have multiple accounts of malpractice from all of the big names in the area. There is only one good mechanic I have met who works on cruisers as a side job in the Dallas area. He does awesome work and may be able to help. PM me if you want his contact info.

@FJBen , unfortunately we decided to pull out of SAS7 this year. Hopefully we will get the chance to meet next year!

@SundanceKid this is @SipLife ‘s dad. He is in college right now. You’re welcome to visit and check out some cruisers. We have a few. No 70 series trucks though. We love cruisers. Let me know, I can PM you my cell.

I’m a college student at Texas A&M University and I daily drive my 72’ FJ40.

I built it with the intention of it being a daily driver and have mechanically gone through the whole vehicle. Even with all the hours of preventative maintenance, it has still failed me several times. I’m thankful I have a roommate who knows I drive an old car and lets me borrow his car for Autozone runs throughout the semester. I know s*** will always hit the fan. You cannot expect modern reliability from a 50+ year old platform.

Here’s a running tally of issues I’ve had semester:

1. AC went out x2 (ac tensioner pulley froze and snapped off, now think it may not be holding pressure somewhere)

F637E638-EE96-4716-AA67-5FA313DC257A.jpeg

2. Alternator died (Photo taken at 12:04 am in the middle of nowhere, day before move in)

B07044EA-81AF-4578-967D-2986F73DF1BA.jpeg

3. Lost all my coolant at hidden falls in the middle of a trail (Luckily had a buddy with me and had him pull me out to flat ground using my 8274)

F1C57CBD-64E1-4E80-80E2-D9190192D28B.jpeg

4. Would not turn over x2 (Ended up hunting this down to be an engine harness ground that came loose from vibration, lost count of how many hours it took to figure that one out)
5. Power steering box started leaking pretty bad (Topped off and rebuilt during break)
6. Fuel sender failed
7. Main belt tensioner failed (luckily caught it before any damage was done)
8. Oil Pan seal started leaking
9. T-case started leaking from the split
10. Brake line fitting leaking from the T

So why daily one? Cause it’s f***ing cool :hillbilly:

Not sure how old you are, but when I was in high school all I wanted to do was drive my dad’s Land-cruisers. I used to take them everywhere. To school, the movies, grocery runs, you name it. Any excuse I had to drive one was good enough for me.

I saw a statistic the other day that on average we spend around 293 hours behind the wheel annually. So why spend all that time driving something reliable and boring? I’d rather drive something I enjoy the hell out of and deal with the problems as they come. Just means I’ll have more stories to share around the campfire.

My Advice to you:

1. Test drive one of these vehicles and talk to owners to understand what you are signing up for and what to look for during a pre-purchase inspection.

2. Learn how to work on these vehicles (sure you can pay someone to work on them, but this usually results in lots of $$ and when something fails on your own you will not know where to begin)

3. Make sure you have spare tools and fluids at all times (You don’t need the whole kitchen sink, just enough to fix minor repairs, for major repairs have AAA on speed dial.

Hi all! Sorry been a busy week at work, thanks so much for all of the encouraging and thoughtful comments, I was not expecting such a response to my question! Anywho I have been thinking about this dilemma that i’m in, a lot and hours of research, reading, and youtube! I still have yet to make a final decision but am highly considering the BJ70 alongside a good reliable daily driver, such as a buick lesabre. This is hard for me to make a final decision as I have been working ever since I graduated high school ( i’m only in my very early twenties), and have been blessed to save a substantial amount of money. And it’s hard for me to see my hard work go, as I’ve never really had much. So all i can do is…to be considerate of my future, talk to God about it, but to also try and enjoy myself, because I know i’m only young once and it’ll be gone quick. If this is my decision, is that a good idea to go for the BJ70 over the prado? I love the look of the BJ70 so much more!

Hi, hello. I'll share some of my thoughts on this.

I had an FJ62 for my car from the age of 16-17. I hated the automatic and the 3fe's gas mileage so I wanted something diesel. Then I stumbled across a BJ75 Troopcarrier in my price range for around the same price the 62 could be sold for. From there on out that car was my daily for 3 solid years. I put around 75,000 VERY SLOW miles on it in those 3 years. Every now and then something somewhat major would break and I would be out of a car for 3-7 days. I also had very limited funds being in highschool so I learned how to fix everything that went wrong. Rebuilding the front axle, replacing wheel bearings, radiator goes out, replacing the alternator, brakes, adjusting valves, U-Joints, etc etc you get the point... I drove the snot out of this car.

When I graduated high school my buddies and I drove it from North Carolina to California and everywhere in between. Pretty much nothing went wrong mechanically in some odd 10,000 miles of driving in a month. Here's a video if you would like to see more on that

Last June my crankshaft exploded in my 3B, I put another 3B in just to have that one blow up 200 miles later... pretty heartbreaking as that sapped the last of my funds for a while to put towards it. I'm now almost a year in on an engine swap for it but its been out for a year now. Basically what I'm saying is that you never know whats gonna happen with these old cars. I turbo'd my 3B cause it was too dang slow, and downright dangerous to drive across America on any highway. That's why it blew up. If you keep your engine relatively stock then they should be pretty bulletproof if well maintained, along with anything else on these old rigs.

Basically to sum up my thoughts:
Learn how to work on your own vehicle, even just basic maintenance like changing fluids will save you a ton of money instead of having some shop do it. Alternator goes out? Shop will charge you $500 some dollars to swap it out when it would take you an hour or so and a couple tools... I learned everything about wrenching on these cars from a mix of this forum and YouTube. Didn't know much at all when I started and now I know quite a lot, if I can do it you can too.

If you're looking for a daily, go with the prado. It will have much more power and be much better on the highway compared to any 3B powered cruiser. I did drive across America in one but it was at 65mph max and we weren't in a rush...

If you do end up getting a 2nd beater car then my personal vote is on the BJ70 then, in my opinion, they have much more character and the engine would be much more friendly to wrench on for a beginner. My dad had a 1993 Prado so that's just my personal observation after driving the 2 vehicles.

You definitely can daily these old cars, it just isn't for everyone. In the downtime of my troopy being out of business I have daily driven a 1987 Isuzu Pup which I had to push start everywhere for 4 months and a 1986 4Runner... I just like old cars, rarely anything goes wrong if they have been well maintained but that doesn't mean they are immune. Nothing was wrong with my isuzu pup (other than the starter) I put wheel bearings and sparkplugs in it after it sat for 8 years and drove it 9 thousand miles trouble free. Same with my 4Runner. Something will go wrong at some point with one of them, it'll be out of service for 3 days or so and then I can put another 10,000 miles on it no issues. If some odd piece goes bad it could take a week or longer to just find the part and then have it shipped from overseas... I always had a parent's car or friend's car I could borrow in that downtime most of the time.

If money isnt that big of a deal, I second @FJBen get some reliable cheap daily and a cruiser alongside it. Better to start now before you have a wife, 3 snot-nosed kids and you're trying to run a business all at the same time. At least that's how my 20-year-old self views it. Best of luck, hope I have been some help!

Thanks for the advice, totally awesome adventure and video dude! Looks like you have a great group of friends!!!

Daily driving a Bj is going to be a tough job. A right hand drive prado would also be hard for many drivers.
Ask yourself
Do i need ac?
Can i drive a stick in traffic?
How would i deal with overheating engine?
What would i do if the truck won’t shut off?
What if i rum out of fuel?

Old cars need maintenance and parts as said above can be a wait or unobtainable. It is better to know more than a but to drive an old cruiser.
Driving cruisers since early 1990’s and rarely as sole daily driver. More for long trips.

Hi all! Sorry been a busy week at work, thanks so much for all of the encouraging and thoughtful comments, I was not expecting such a response to my question! Anywho I have been thinking about this dilemma that i’m in, a lot and hours of research, reading, and youtube! I still have yet to make a final decision but am highly considering the BJ70 alongside a good reliable daily driver, such as a buick lesabre. This is hard for me to make a final decision as I have been working ever since I graduated high school ( i’m only in my very early twenties), and have been blessed to save a substantial amount of money. And it’s hard for me to see my hard work go, as I’ve never really had much. So all i can do is…to be considerate of my future, talk to God about it, but to also try and enjoy myself, because I know i’m only young once and it’ll be gone quick. If this is my decision, is that a good idea to go for the BJ70 over the prado? I love the look of the BJ70 so much more!
If money if genuinely no concern, BJ70 over the prado all day. Cool factor is like 1000x more.

Honestly, The older vehicles are for more reliable than anything new. Just from a simplicity standpoint and have far fewer components or fail points. The new stuff has been engineered to last exactly as long as required to keep you as a customer and to save input costs. 70 years ago, they were more or less guessing, then trying to err on the side of caution.

There's certainly been huge improvements in materials, machining, and engineering for impact safety as well as performance. There has also been added very sensitive and complex electrical systems that can F off at any point and quit working.

The problem is all the old stuff has the years of neglect and material degradation working against it. Make everything new again, and the age factor goes away. Then just don't neglect it, and keep an eye on the degradation.

My 40, everything is new in the driveline, steering, and engine. It's a coin toss between which would leave me stranded. A low mile 2021 F350, or a 76 FJ40. 😆. The Ford HAS put me in pedestrian mode. The cruiser has not. (Excluding one deer suicide, which I don't think that counts)

Honestly, The older vehicles are for more reliable than anything new. Just from a simplicity standpoint and have far fewer components or fail points. The new stuff has been engineered to last exactly as long as required to keep you as a customer and to save input costs. 70 years ago, they were more or less guessing, then trying to err on the side of caution.

There's certainly been huge improvements in materials, machining, and engineering for impact safety as well as performance. There has also been added very sensitive and complex electrical systems that can F off at any point and quit working.

The problem is all the old stuff has the years of neglect and material degradation working against it. Make everything new again, and the age factor goes away. Then just don't neglect it, and keep an eye on the degradation.

My 40, everything is new in the driveline, steering, and engine. It's a coin toss between which would leave me stranded. A low mile 2021 F350, or a 76 FJ40. 😆. The Ford HAS put me in pedestrian mode. The cruiser has not. (Excluding one deer suicide, which I don't think that counts)
Agreed.

I have spent many a year with search and rescue going to help people in need. I will also concur that a well maintained Land Cruiser is far more reliable than anything else out there in the middle of nowhere, where no one in their right mind should be with a vehicle. That said, I love my land cruiser so much that I will utilize an atv where I can and save any unfortunate patina creating "incidents."

Perhaps I will buy another one some day and make it my bush vehicle...

@SundanceKid

I LOVED daily driving my JDM 70 series (I'm working on buying one back as we speak and will never, ever part with it again). I'm a firm believer that if you have to spend time in a car (or truck) it should be spent in something you like or love, whether that's driving experience, or comfort or whatever you're in to. I've daily driven two FJ40s, an HZJ73, a BJ74, a Cummins swapped FJ62 and an 80 series and loved every minute in each of them. With the exception of the Cummins truck, which ate it's own driveline like some sort of weird self destructive cannibal, they all proved to be reliable relative to their ages.

I have found old Land Cruisers in general to be most reliable rusty s*** piles an auto enthusiast can buy. I daily drove my BJ74 for thousands of miles, in LA traffic, took it camping and did several cross country trips and loved every minute of it. The bones of my HZJ73 and my BJ74 were solid and always got me home, it's just on occasion they didn't want to start the next morning... The thing is that all of these trucks are OLD, and even though Toyota designed them to have a far longer service life longer than the average Jeep, something this old is going to need work. My BJ74 had issues with the fuel lines and air leaks in the fuel system, had every hydraulic system and line failed and need replacement, and it needed tons of body work. A window regulator gave out and like every single old Toyota I've ever owned, the AC gave me fits.

If you're going to choose to DD something like this, you need to be your own expert, or else it'll be in the shop a lot and cost you an arm and a leg. Like many have said here, downtime is a problem with these grey market trucks as often times you can't just get the stuff you need to repair it and your average repair shop has no clue what they're looking at. The BJ74 shared a lot of parts with FJ40s and FJ60s of the era, so there were some bits and pieces I could go the auto parts store and get in a pinch. The recommendations about having a 2nd vehicle, like some clapped out Honda or Corolla that you can leave to rot on the street, is a good idea, since when your old Cruiser does need work it will likely be down for extended periods of time while you wrench on it after work. If you don't love that challenge, don't do it.

If you want some weird, badass grey market Cruiser, my recommendation would be a 1HZ powered 70 series because that engine and driveline is still in production in the Middle East and you can actually get new parts. A lot of people like the Prados, but the one thing about HD Land Cruisers is that they're designed to be able to cross the Australian outback, half broken with s*** falling off. I've driven a lot of broken Land Cruisers around :) If you're looking at a Prado, save yourself the headache and go get a GX470. My $.02.

If you're into all of this, go get one while you still can! If this is too daunting, there are a lot of great USDM Land Cruisers that get s***ty gas mileage but are great to drive and won't need the sort of attention these older rigs will need for another 20 years. My dad's 100 series is built and is AWESOME and requires nothing but oil changes.

Hello,

I am late to the party but I think I can share my thoughts with you.

Land Cruiser ownership requires steady income. Some models need just oil changes and grease, older models require a lot of work, which can be expensive. I understand money is not an issue for you, which meets the steady income requirement.

Land Cruiser ownership is a great chance to do most of the work by yourself. All their systems are designed to be disassembled, repaired and reassembled, most of the time with the FSM and basic tools. It is possible to work on one system at a time.

Last but not least, Land Cruiser ownership is living life on the slow lane. This is especially true when driving on US highways.

A 70 Series or a Prado can make good daily drivers. Ask me how I know.

Most old Land Cruisers have lived hard lives. While they are built to withstand serious abuse, the effects show as the truck ages. As a general rule -please do not quote me on this- systems start to fail after 20 years, and some repairs are expensive.

As mentioned above, BJ70s have a cool factor of their own. However, riding can be harsh for some and creature comforts such as AC are missing; the list of discontinued parts for the 3B engine keeps growing.

Prados have a softer ride. Their turbos and electronics have shown issues -to state it politely- over the years.

Are they reliable? Yes, they are, provided you keep up with maintenance and repairs.

Regardless of the truck choice, I would baseline it: fluids, suspension, filters, belts... Then I would check/replace axle bearings, seals, brakes, clutch cylinders and exhaust.

If you have the chance to get yourself a 70 Series or a Prado, which are fun to own and fun to drive, take the chance and do not look back.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom