Anthracite news... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crusha

Self-censoring my mud posts...
SILVER Star
Threads
Thanks for posting @Crusha, I can see the locals point of view here too. If the wetlands were the local mud bog, good luck keeping them out.
Also, very good to know AOAA is doing well enough to give back 20ish k to local municipalities... Good juju right there.

Having talked and worked with a few of the locals during different projects, they don't seem happy having to pay for something they've enjoyed for free most of their lives.
We worked on the mine reclimation project several years ago in Coal TWP. Mudding, 4-wheeling and off-roading is very popular in that area. They still say there is a lot more there than what's on the park lease. And they were free to use that land without complaint for years. Some ideally don't like folks profiting off of what they feel is "public".

I don't have a dog in the fight and honestly enjoy having two parks close to home. But I did find it fascinating to hear their point of view.

Regardless if they were permitted, not permitted but perhaps the owners didn't mind or whatever the case. Someone owned that land and Im sure it wasn't the riders. The land is now owned/operated by the state now. The local's simply need to get over the fact that they can no longer illegally ride for free.

As a surveyor I don't agree with using any land illegally. Just wanted to make sure no one interpreted my post incorrectly.

Coal companies/ energy companies still hold title to that land. They still hold the mineral rights if they choose to mine again at some point. Anthracite has a lease with them for surface rights currently.

That's where the locals get mad. They feel as if Anthracite is just taking advantage of the land that had always been free to use under permission of the owners.

It's sort of the same scenario at RC as well.

I live near the AOAA and drive by it on my way to work. The locals get mad that they can ride there unless they pay for it and the older locals just used it as a huge dumping ground.

Well, it seems to me that AOAA is benefitting the whole community there. I am sure the local gas stations/markets appreciate the influx of commerce. I understand that was the goal of AOAA's business plan. Perhaps a reduced fee for county residents would soften hard feelings.

Well, it seems to me that AOAA is benefitting the whole community there. I am sure the local gas stations/markets appreciate the influx of commerce. I understand that was the goal of AOAA's business plan. Perhaps a reduced fee for county residents would soften hard feelings.

Currently they knock off $5 I believe for local residents.

There is no pleasing some People!

A few years back I got into a heated discussion, ( on line ) with a group of locals, businessmen included, that were against the development of AOAA. I told the story of Moab, and how, if the community leaders of that region would visit Moab, just once, they would understand how even very small parks, such as AOAA and RC would benefit the business communities of the region. Then they started complaining about the "element" that such off road parks would bring to their communities. I asked what element? They actually used the words "trashy" and "lowlife". I reminded them that my rig and camping gear probably cost more money than most peoples houses in that area. How dare they make an assumption such as that. I went off. I reminded them that most of us in the hobby of off roading and or overlanding, probably spend more money in gas a year than what they make in a year. I also let them know that my wife and I attempted to go off-road in that area a number of times, only to be repulsed by the amount of trash dumped at the trail heads. Did I mention I went off on the guy? Well, I did and I got banned from the site shortly thereafter. The locals near AOAA have no one to blame but themselves. If they would have even considered being responsible caretakers of land that they were using "for free" instead of trashing it they might have a little sympathy from me.

A few years back I got into a heated discussion, ( on line ) with a group of locals, businessmen included, that were against the development of AOAA. I told the story of Moab, and how, if the community leaders of that region would visit Moab, just once, they would understand how even very small parks, such as AOAA and RC would benefit the business communities of the region. Then they started complaining about the "element" that such off road parks would bring to their communities. I asked what element? They actually used the words "trashy" and "lowlife". I reminded them that my rig and camping gear probably cost more money than most peoples houses in that area. How dare they make an assumption such as that. I went off. I reminded them that most of us in the hobby of off roading and or overlanding, probably spend more money in gas a year than what they make in a year. I also let them know that my wife and I attempted to go off-road in that area a number of times, only to be repulsed by the amount of trash dumped at the trail heads. Did I mention I went off on the guy? Well, I did and I got banned from the site shortly thereafter. The locals near AOAA have no one to blame but themselves. If they would have even considered being responsible caretakers of land that they were using "for free" instead of trashing it they might have a little sympathy from me.

You hit the nail on the head, sir. A friend of mine was telling me of his trip to the Hatfeild/McCoy trails in West Virginia. He was telling me when he stopped at the local Wal-mart and the locals saw their trucks with all the quads on the back they were coming up to them and thanking them for visiting and spending money in their towns. A lot of people are ignorant to the big picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom