Antenna issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I thought I had a broken mast so I went ahead and ordered a new one. I couldn't get the old mast out so I took the gearbox apart clipped the old mast track and got the old one out. I tried to get the new mast in but the motor would only stay on for a second or two and shut off. I pulled the motor apart cleaned it with brake fluid and put it back together (it was quite dirty). I still only turned on briefly. Later Iafter running some errands I heard the motor stay on for a full cycle and so I decided to try again. I was able to feed the new mast in all the way but now it is doing the same thing as before, just turning on for a few seconds. Any ideas? I took a video of what's happening.

This is a long shot, but on your dash there is the antenna button that allows you to raise and lower the antenna to a height other than the full height. Any chance the antenna height was manually set at 2" high and the car is doing exactly what it's manually set to do?

Hahaha so I got it to manually go all the way up with that switch on the dash by pressing it up and down a few time, but now when I turn the radio off it only goes down 2"! Thanks for the suggestion!

Does anyone know if there is a relay that controls the antenna? I hear a click of what i think might be a relay inside the cabin when the motor stops starts.

2001 lc is right. You use the dash switch to set the height you want it to do. Just turn radio on then use dssh switch to lower it then turn off. That should do it. Not quite sure exactly how to explain it but it is not broken. Just lost.

so it appears that it takes about a week to "learn" what it is supposed to do. every time i got in the car i messed with the manual adjustment if it didn't do what it was supposed to do and now it works just fine.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Just did the broken cable repair today, in my new-to-me 2000 LC, and was heartbroken when the new mast only went up 3".
Now it's working great, thanks to you folks. My back doesn't hurt anymore!

I just bought an 05 after having my 00 for 15 Years where I replaced the antenna mast twice. On my new one The mast was not fully extending, even with the switch. When I went to remove it by removing the nut and powering it out, all the plastic would not come out. I pulled the motor and found that the bottom section of the antenna was seized to the next one above it causing it to onLy extend 4 sections as opposed to five. Opened the motor, cleaned and lubed it, and fed in the new antenna. Problem solved ? Nope. Mast still not extending fully, about 6” short. I have powered it up and down numerous times. Also disconnected the battery in hope it would reset to no avail. I saw an earlier thread about learning but not sure that’s it. Remember, when I went to run it out to replace it stopped itself instead of spitting it all out. It’s really not that big of a problem and probably not worth the 250 bucks for a new motor but still kind of annoying

Any thoughts ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom