Builds Another Southern 60 saved - Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As the title might suggest, this will be an ever evolving thread on how I have "built" and preserved this cruiser to keep it on the road for hopefully many more years. So, first just a small bit of back story. I have almost always been around the off-roading hobby and tinkered/wrenched on my Jeeps and Toyotas. Having really gotten into Toyota mini trucks and 4runners for years I had always wanted to own an FJ60. Really this was for many reasons, but the most important ones were the cabin room (family of 5) and the utility the truck has, for things such as camping and fishing. I have always kept an dedicated off-road rig, so this fantasy 60 would be my daily.

At the time of starting my search for the right 60, I was daily driving an all stock 1984 SR5 4Runner that another Mud member now owns. It was an epic little ride, and still is...however we were packed into that thing as a family with all our camping stuff. I've bought and sold a lot of these 4runners, parted a lot as well. This one was just a really great little truck, and we hated to see it go.View attachment 2032679

She is greatly missed, but on to the Landcruiser stuff! So this little guy sold not long after I purchased the first, and what I thought was "the one" 60. The 60 was shiny, clean interior, chrome was nice, most everything worked, it had recently been baselined...but would still need a few things. The color was what appealed to me the most. After having talked to the buyer a little over the phone (another Mud member), I sent a driver to go and pick it up and bring it to me sight unseen. I was excited to be driving a 60!
View attachment 2032682

Behold, a beauty. So beautiful after about 5 or 6 months of ownership, I felt she was just to pretty to put in the woods camping and fishing. Great for a daily, and surely a head turner, but I just didn't want to use it the way we had used our 4runner. As fate would have it, one random Friday morning I got a call at the office from another local FJ60 owner whom I loosely knew. He proceeded to inform me of a situation involving his son's F150 and a ruined motor, and that he was needing money quickly to repair it so that he could take it back to school. He then hit me with the proposal to sell me his late 1985 FJ60 that had been sitting for about a year. I knew most of the story on it, and even knew two of the previous owners. What I also knew was that it was sitting because he had been unable to make it run correctly after attempting to red-neck smog delete the truck. He gave me a figure on the truck, it was to good to be true; so I went and picked it up with a tow truck the same day. Score!! I washed and posted the blue 84 cruiser expecting a long sale.
View attachment 2032692

Well, she stop, start and steer. Didn't run very well, seemed to have an surge in power. The truck would occasionally die. It had a fender replaced because his son was driving and drug the passenger side a bit on a fence, thus the rage gold body filler on passenger front door. So, I knew given the buying price, and how rough the exterior was......this might actually be the "one". Did I mention every single item including the AC works, also the interior was about as mint as they come. The headliner is clean and free of tears, seats clean and free of tears, dash with no splits, carpet was complete but a bit faded, and it was only missing the passenger side visor. The seller included the original chrome wheels as well. A few weeks later I listed the 84 (blue) cruiser expecting a long sale. I had already started to purchase the items to do a Holley Sniper install on the blue one so I figured I would instead hold onto those parts and put them on this new to me brown cruiser instead. Remember that long sale I was expecting? Wrong. It sold locally in just 3 days of posting. It is now a garage kept occasional and Sunday driver, the new owner loves it...and I still see it often! Whew, this is more backstory than I thought!! Onto the "build"!

Man, my son is still mad at me for selling you that blue 60!!!

This past weekend it rained alot here. It was the first weekend the FJ hasn't been in my garage. I noticed on Monday morning a small puddle of water contained in the passenger side rubber floor mat. Great. Been reading through some water leak posts here..that pointed me to rain gutter seam sealer, @Dustin Messina had also suggested this. Well this is what I found.View attachment 2055402View attachment 2055403

So, I guess I'll be tackling this job very soon. I've got a tube of 3M seam sealer I bought this weekend, but I need to really consult with a body shop friend and see if that's what I should be using.

My old ‘83 had the same flaking off sealer in the gutters. I sacrificed a flathead screw driver, sharpened it and used a mallet to knock all of the old stuff out. It doesn’t take long when it’s peeling up like that.

Just follow the instructions for the sealer you bought. Some are direct to metal, some need primer. Ideally you bought a self levelling type.

My old ‘83 had the same flaking off sealer in the gutters. I sacrificed a flathead screw driver, sharpened it and used a mallet to knock all of the old stuff out. It doesn’t take long when it’s peeling up like that.

Just follow the instructions for the sealer you bought. Some are direct to metal, some need primer. Ideally you bought a self levelling type.
I'm gonna check and find out lol.

So, a little more "progress" over this weekend. I've had a lift kit on order for awile. I bartered for it. It finally arrived, minus the shackles and pins. I had some time , so I got some buddies to help and used another buddies shop and lift. Got it installed.
20190818_101601.jpg

Only issue I have is that I used rear spring part number B on passenger side and the driver's side rear has spring part number A installed. This has made the driver's side rear noticeably taller than the passenger, and that shackle has a different angle as well. All bolts were loose, and then torqued when on its weight. I'm not sure if this is intended or not.

It may level out over time. I have a new set of heavys to install. A and B. Need to decide on shackle reversal on front or heavys. May need to get another rear for lean. Typically leans to driver side due to driver weight.

This is the sealer I purchased. Directions say painted or primed surfaces. What should I do, clean away, tape off and prime?
20190818_153924.jpg

Recently when viewing a friends build thread, I noticed during my baseline I had not replaced my PCV. I picked up a new PCV and grommet and swapped that out this morning. I dont believe the grommet had ever been changed, it broke apart on the top ring.
20190825_092724.jpg
20190825_094410.jpg
20190825_092621.jpg
20190825_094359.jpg

Finally got around and found time to install the @FJ60Cam Mosley Motorsports adapter for my Sniper to my original air cleaner. Until now I had used the 2 piece Mr. Gasket kit, and although it works, the fit and finish just isnt that clean. I'd highly recommend the kit from Cam!
20190921_112153.jpg
20190921_124453.jpg

Ive taken a break for awile as I seem to have many auto projects piling up. Most notable and engine replacement in an Scion I am putting together for my oldest as her first car. What a pain in the butt!!
20190922_174905.jpg

Anyways, back to the cruiser stuff as I prepare to drive the 60 to Southern Cruiser Crawl in HotSprings, AR. Just doing some basic nut and bolt checks, fluid checks, cleaning the windows, and lastly a good coat of fluid film and some Trail Tailor fender aprons!!
IMG_20191005_104720_062.jpg

Continued Crawl prep last night. Installing a Tuff Stuff drawer slide for my China fridge. This is just a temporary mounting solution. Ill be setting up a more permanent wooden false floor for added stability. I did use very tiny (and short) bolts to secure the slide through my cargo mat and to the floor. This was a huge pain, but its secure for now. Also hardwired a fused power and ground lead to my battery up front. More long term solution will be an extra battery and isolator.
20191008_190302.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom