Builds Another Southern 60 saved - Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title might suggest, this will be an ever evolving thread on how I have "built" and preserved this cruiser to keep it on the road for hopefully many more years. So, first just a small bit of back story. I have almost always been around the off-roading hobby and tinkered/wrenched on my Jeeps and Toyotas. Having really gotten into Toyota mini trucks and 4runners for years I had always wanted to own an FJ60. Really this was for many reasons, but the most important ones were the cabin room (family of 5) and the utility the truck has, for things such as camping and fishing. I have always kept an dedicated off-road rig, so this fantasy 60 would be my daily.

At the time of starting my search for the right 60, I was daily driving an all stock 1984 SR5 4Runner that another Mud member now owns. It was an epic little ride, and still is...however we were packed into that thing as a family with all our camping stuff. I've bought and sold a lot of these 4runners, parted a lot as well. This one was just a really great little truck, and we hated to see it go.

She is greatly missed, but on to the Landcruiser stuff! So this little guy sold not long after I purchased the first, and what I thought was "the one" 60. The 60 was shiny, clean interior, chrome was nice, most everything worked, it had recently been baselined...but would still need a few things. The color was what appealed to me the most. After having talked to the buyer a little over the phone (another Mud member), I sent a driver to go and pick it up and bring it to me sight unseen. I was excited to be driving a 60!

Behold, a beauty. So beautiful after about 5 or 6 months of ownership, I felt she was just to pretty to put in the woods camping and fishing. Great for a daily, and surely a head turner, but I just didn't want to use it the way we had used our 4runner. As fate would have it, one random Friday morning I got a call at the office from another local FJ60 owner whom I loosely knew. He proceeded to inform me of a situation involving his son's F150 and a ruined motor, and that he was needing money quickly to repair it so that he could take it back to school. He then hit me with the proposal to sell me his late 1985 FJ60 that had been sitting for about a year. I knew most of the story on it, and even knew two of the previous owners. What I also knew was that it was sitting because he had been unable to make it run correctly after attempting to red-neck smog delete the truck. He gave me a figure on the truck, it was to good to be true; so I went and picked it up with a tow truck the same day. Score!! I washed and posted the blue 84 cruiser expecting a long sale.

Well, she stop, start and steer. Didn't run very well, seemed to have an surge in power. The truck would occasionally die. It had a fender replaced because his son was driving and drug the passenger side a bit on a fence, thus the rage gold body filler on passenger front door. So, I knew given the buying price, and how rough the exterior was......this might actually be the "one". Did I mention every single item including the AC works, also the interior was about as mint as they come. The headliner is clean and free of tears, seats clean and free of tears, dash with no splits, carpet was complete but a bit faded, and it was only missing the passenger side visor. The seller included the original chrome wheels as well. A few weeks later I listed the 84 (blue) cruiser expecting a long sale. I had already started to purchase the items to do a Holley Sniper install on the blue one so I figured I would instead hold onto those parts and put them on this new to me brown cruiser instead. Remember that long sale I was expecting? Wrong. It sold locally in just 3 days of posting. It is now a garage kept occasional and Sunday driver, the new owner loves it...and I still see it often! Whew, this is more backstory than I thought!! Onto the "build"!

Still trying to get the hang of this photo uploading thing, so bear with me.

So this was the current situation under the hood. They had washed the engine down at some point with to harsh of a degreaser and it made the aluminum parts all chalky and nasty. The fan shroud could use a fresh coat of paint. My idea was to stop an oil leak or two, some fresh paint here and there, all new belts, hoses and delete the red-neck smog delete crap. I might also add that the power steering pump was moaning bad and on its way out. To solve this I would swap to the Saginaw steering pump conversion. With all this in mind I bugged the absolute crap out of some CottonLand members until I felt I had composed a parts list that would get the job done. I owe all those guys plenty.

So, while waiting on a large list of parts to show up to compliment the Sniper install, I decided to do a weight reduction. I must have removed 10lbs of old stereo wiring, hardwired radar detector crap, and an aftermarket (broken) cruise control unit...and lastly aftermarket light wiring. This was a pain but had to be done to clean up the truck I felt, and make room for a newer stereo and Bluetooth install into a Smittybuilt console.

More random tear down/install photos.

It had been mostly smooth sailing up until I mounted the Sniper and had it plumbed. For those of you paying attention of the before shots, and the pile of wiring...anyone notice the parts store small electric fuel pump? It's like a where's Waldo of suck.

Anyways, this was where my troubles all began and I really had no idea. The truck ran when I got it, but would surge sometimes under a load or wot. I chalked this up to the previous owners half azz deletion of smog components and the botched up vaccum job. Boy, was I ever wrong. I got Sniper installed and instantly had trouble with it running, and staying running. The truck had sat for about a year, and I drained the tank once I got it at my shop, didnt see anything out of the ordinary in terms of trash or rust, so I was gonna send it.

So I assumed when installing the Sniper that the PO had routed the fuel feed and return lines correctly. This was also a mistake on my behalf. After weeks of chasing my tale on all sorts of start ability, idle and drivability issues I was about to give up. I exhausted several friends (whom had done this before) time and efforts trying to figure the issues out. So, at the instance of one person's advice I removed the fuel sending unit and got a flashlight. What I saw was terrible. A glowing orange pile of rust contaminating my fuel tank. This had to be the issue I told myself. I started with pulling fuel filters.

This is what I found. Not good. I ordered more filters, both for replacement and for spares. I was about to buy a new tank from work, but a friend so graciously traded me a known good spare tank he had in storage. He drove to my home and delivered it on a Sunday, talk about a great guy! We got the old one out, and new one in. Thanks to a stripped bolt hole for the rear most tank support strap though, I wouldn't start it until that Monday.

So, I drilled, tapped and helicoiled the bolt hole and buttoned this job up thinking surely I was ready to cruise! Nope!!

Wrong again. You see I would later discover that the PO had crossed up the feed and return lines. After correcting this issue while spending lots of time on the phone with @FJ60Cam got this sorted and all was well. I've now put about 2k miles on it since the Sniper install and am loving it. Many more photos to follow once I get to some better internet. I live in the sticks!

Last edited:
After getting it all running well, I noticed a low charge situation at my battery and the voltage warning blinking at times on Sniper...then finally a dimly lit BRAKE warning lamp. A check with voltmeter revealed a low to no charging alternator. Currently I am using a borrowed alternator to operate the truck. I will be sending mine off to Mosley for a rework and freshen up to match the newly cleaned engine bay. Once running and driving I ran into an issue with the brakes dragging and causing the truck to bog down. Discovered a sticking master cylinder and replaced it with a new T100 unit. See above photos!

So you bought the blue one and felt it was to clean and nice to use it?
So you sold it?
And bought the other one instead.
Or do you own both of them.?

Thanks for posting, what is the big difference with the sniper compared when you had the blue 60? What was your main reason to go this route?

Yes, sorry if I wasnt clear. The blue one is gone and sold. The exterior of the brown one is a little rough, but my interior is mint, and although it has some rust, it's fairly minimal.

Thanks for posting, what is the big difference with the sniper compared when you had the blue 60? What was your main reason to go this route?
Great question.

First, I drove @dustin FJ60 that already had the swap done, and loved it. It idles smooth, no dieseling, no heat soak, or messing with the choke.

Secondly, we dont need the emissions in our state, so it greatly cleans up my engine bay.

Ok
I thought maybe you kept the blue one for daily driving. And the other for fun stuff so it wouldn’t matter it get scratched.
Either way pretty cool.

So amidst fighting the fuel contamination, I scored a new set of BFG K02, complete with FJ60 wheels in 33X10.50X15 size. Seller claimed only a few K on them, and that looked to be true, little if any wear. A real score for $500!

So, with a newly running cruiser with some fresh tires I turned back to the interior for a few small things. Alpine bluetooth stereo, replace center console, install door speakers, speakers in rear side panels, and lastly a wits end gentex mirror conversion bracket.

Also started to add some sound deadening to the truck. I still have a lot to go. I will likely do the front when I install a fresh carpet set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom