Builds Another Southern 60 saved - Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Started cleaning up some of the body mess. No sense in how much filler was stacked on the door for such a small scratch.

Love it. Amazing deal on those tires and wheels! Down your way is there any frame rot on the trucks or no?
My last 60 was free of frame rot, and this one is too. Has a bit of surface rust here and there underneath. I think for now I'm just going to use fluid film on the underside to preserve.

Excellent

Another crusty but cool truck like mine! I have the same color. I'm curious to see what you do with the exterior.

Another crusty but cool truck like mine! I have the same color. I'm curious to see what you do with the exterior.
My plans are to cut out the spots I've found, replace with fresh metal, or maybe even some donor panels. I'll treat it and prime those spots....and probably keep riding. If I make it to nice, I wont use it haha!

I know what you mean. A little crustiness and patina is cool and you don't have to worry about scratching it on the trail.

For those of you looking for an wiper blade upgrade, without the change to the 4runner arms, I've found a suitable blade replacement from the dealer. These are a bit longer than the original. I've been using them a month now, they work really well.
20190803_084058.jpg
20190803_084326.jpg
20190803_084315.jpg

I know what you mean. A little crustiness and patina is cool and you don't have to worry about scratching it on the trail.
Exactly. I enjoy driving it as a daily, but if we want to load up as a family and go camping/fishing etc..I'm not worried about a scratch.

Nice job on your rig. Isn’t it so satisfying to turn these trucks from neglected lumps into great driving machines again?

I’m thinking about that mirror mount from Witts End. How did you handle the wire for it? Do you have any pics of the routing?

Thanks!
-Ed

Nice job on your rig. Isn’t it so satisfying to turn these trucks from neglected lumps into great driving machines again?

I’m thinking about that mirror mount from Witts End. How did you handle the wire for it? Do you have any pics of the routing?

Thanks!
-Ed
I like it. I used a Gentex from a Denalli to go in it, because I couldn't find a Toyota that had one in it at my local pull a part. As a result I get a little extra vibration in the mirror at faster hwy speeds. 70 ish. I believe that is due to how much hangs off the mounting block, creating just a little leverage to pick up vibration. I ran my wiring behind the rubber windshield gasket. It was painful on my fingers but it worked. I'll snap a pic or two and post it of how I routed it.

So, I've been needing to either buy or make some load bars for the Yakima rain gutter towers I picked up used off Mud a few months back...

After doing a little research it seems that others have made load bars using the black iron pipe sold at Ace Hardware. I visited my local one, and sure enough they not only stocked it, but would cut it to length for me.

I picked up 2 pieces cut to 66" each, grabbed some rubber and caps, also from Ace. I sanded the finish quite a bit and coated it with low gloss engine enamel. I love the stuff, its tough... and drys crazy fast. So, below is the end result. The pipe is the 3/4" ID black iron pipe. It sinces up very well in the Yakima towers. This is really just a temporary thing until I decide what I want to do about a roof rack.
IMG_20190811_120841_366.jpg
20190810_175315.jpg
IMG_20190811_120841_367.jpg

Removed, scrubbed and cleaned the exterior rear vents. Replaced the rubber gasket with the bushwacker edge guard I had left over from the grill. Turned out nice I think. My old gaskets were super crusty.
20190811_135756.jpg
20190811_142418.jpg

This past weekend it rained alot here. It was the first weekend the FJ hasn't been in my garage. I noticed on Monday morning a small puddle of water contained in the passenger side rubber floor mat. Great. Been reading through some water leak posts here..that pointed me to rain gutter seam sealer, @Dustin Messina had also suggested this. Well this is what I found.
20190811_135736.jpg
20190811_135812.jpg

So, I guess I'll be tackling this job very soon. I've got a tube of 3M seam sealer I bought this weekend, but I need to really consult with a body shop friend and see if that's what I should be using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom