For Sale Another Price drop and update -1966 Proffitts Stage 3 resto, Cummins 4BT H55F, ARB - Sale or trade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For Sale or Trade: updated thread below, price drop to $39k

This is a Proffitt's cruisers Stage 3 frame off restoration of a 1966 FJ40 from a few years ago (EDIT: Now that we have hands on it, the most recent tire is 35th week of 2007, so lets say a late 2007-2008 build). 3500 miles since the rebuild. It is a Cummins 4BT swap. H55f 5 speed transmission with split case. ARB lockers front and rear. Spring over and shackle reversal lift. Full cage, Vintage Air AC system. Warn 8274. Updated seats, stereo, Dune Beige paint.

Truck is new to me, I acquired it in a trade for a Jeep LJ that I built over the past 2 years. I have a thread detailing the trade here Jeep LS-LJ/4BT FJ trade.

It is currently on its way from Toledo Ohio to my house in Maine via shipping transport. As discussed in the thread above, I am not convinced that this engine and SOA combo are what I would like to have long term. Since posting that thread, I have also found a 1967 FJ40 in original condition that I would like to do a patina-resto on. I don't really need 2 FJ40s in my life, as different as this one and the patina rig would be.

My plan was to get this truck to Maine and completely baseline it when I am up there in early October. It needs new tires, and I would likely replace the wheels with FJcruiser steelies. I would baseline all of the fluids, belts, and other small wear items for time, not mileage. AC needs a charge. It does not appear to have any other needs from my test drives and inspection. There is a single paint crack in the hood where the underside came in contact with the battery terminal that will need to be touched up, otherwise cosmetically it is clean.

All that said, I am going to offer this up and see if anyone is interested in the truck as it sits now. Decide on your own tire and wheel combo, do your own fluid baseline, etc. You can have the rack that I was planning to unload immediately. It would save me time and money on a rig I will realistically not keep long term.

I spoke with Jeremiah Proffitts and he confirmed that it is a stage 3 frame off from before the original Proffitt's folded its tent in 2013. It does have an aqualu tub, in my opinion a good thing as it's far from original anyway. It was stored winters in Toledo, so has no salt exposure or rust anywhere. These are the pictures I have for now, but I can get more when it arrives in Maine.

This is a good BAT candidate, but I'll offer it up here on Mud first. Price as it sits is $42k. Clean VA title in hand. This is substantially below what Jeremiah quoted as a retail price (60k, which I thought optimistic) and just above what he offered to buy it from me for. I'm open to reasonable discussion.

Even more, I am quite open to trades, as it's always fun to have something new. I now have the patina rig FJ40, so I am pretty set there. I would consider a rust free FJ45, Troopy, LV, Pig (as rust free as an LV or Pig can be) or 60 preferably closer to stock as partial trades. As I need a new wheeling rig, I am also very interested in partial trades for built 60s or 80s.. Rust free and turn key preferred. Tacoma or 4runners built considered. Other oddball stuff might strike me as interesting, it never hurts to ask.

Not in a hurry, but thought I would put it out there before I start sinking money into the truck. Thanks!

EDIT: thread has gotten long, here's an updated pic.
20191003_174253_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122849_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122909_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122919_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122926_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122933_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122828_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122836_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122944_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_122949_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_123007_HDR-L.jpg

20190901_123013_HDR-L.jpg

Resized_20190223_140949-L.jpg

20190901_124220_HDR-L.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. But, @Racer65 are back ordered and the > $1000 difference for his wheels and a set of caps was hard to swallow on a +/- keeper truck. When we swap this truck for the Pig you built for me, I'm sure we can figure out the hubcap situation ;)
Ahh you have 16's not Stock 15 with the $20 OEm Hubacps . You are right the price of @Racer65 Hub Cap Clips forced me to make my own wheels lol. I appreciate they are low volume etc but I was flawed.

As for a Pig, sure ship me a donor and build list. I have an opening in Aug 2020 :)

Late October bump. Shallow storage, easy to retrieve. Open to trade or cash offers.

If this is still around come December and my bonus doesn’t disappoint I might try and scrape the rest of the funds together. Aside from lack of back seat and the refresh/paint touch up this is my ideally built cruiser, had a BBC powered 40 with H55f - the perfect transmission for a daily driver.

If this is still around come December and my bonus doesn’t disappoint I might try and scrape the rest of the funds together. Aside from lack of back seat and the refresh/paint touch up this is my ideally built cruiser, had a BBC powered 40 with H55f - the perfect transmission for a daily driver.

Thanks, let's hope that bonus comes through. Fold and tumble rear seat from a wrangler or aftermarket should bolt in without issue. Could probably find one and install for you before delivery.

You should just let me drive my 80 over there, drop it off and drive your 40 back to Cali...done! :hmm:

You should just let me drive my 80 over there, drop it off and drive your 40 back to Cali...done! :hmm:
You have one of the nicest 80s out there. Make me an offer, we might not be as far apart as you think. A drive from Maine to Cali in the 4BT 40 would be an adventure.

Wheels look great. What tires and size?

Hubcaps would be appropriate if it was much closer to stock.
Wheels are 16x7 Wheel Vintiques. Unfortunately no provision for hubcaps. Tires are Maxxis Bighorn 255/85. Allegedly a 33" tire, but were actually larger than the "35 inch" BFGs that came off. I've always had good luck with them.

Righto want if I up the offer to a full Carton of Tecate ?
Wrap that carton in one of those BJ43s and let's talk!

Wrap that carton in one of those BJ43s and let's talk!

I don't have any BJ43's only BJ46's and as I said I am not much of a seller so cash and beer is all I really have to deal with, although I do have a few VW beetles :)

I don't have any BJ43's only BJ46's and as I said I am not much of a seller so cash and beer is all I really have to deal with, although I do have a few VW beetles :)

My bad, long wheelbase numbers still trip me up! I did my time with VW beetles in the 1980s, ok with letting those memories stay memories. I'm good with cash and beer, we're just a bit off on quantity of one or both. Or that hybrid 80/diesel/pig build we haven't talked about yet...

My bad, long wheelbase numbers still trip me up! I did my time with VW beetles in the 1980s, ok with letting those memories stay memories. I'm good with cash and beer, we're just a bit off on quantity of one or both. Or that hybrid 80/diesel/pig build we haven't talked about yet...

I guess we will see what the market says about price but at the $42k you don't seem to be moving it and a lot of people are going to be put off by the Spring Over and Resto Mods done to it as the $$$$ seems to be in factory or ICON Stuff with not a lot in between.

As for the hybrid Pig, dunno I never got a response and since you are posting in every sub forum to wheel and deal I just chalked it up to you were just fishing and playing your own version of the Trade Em Up game . Which I must say you went from a jeep to a Cruiser so you are heading in the right direction :) .

I guess we will see what the market says about price but at the $42k you don't seem to be moving it and a lot of people are going to be put off by the Spring Over and Resto Mods done to it as the $$$$ seems to be in factory or ICON Stuff with not a lot in between.

As for the hybrid Pig, dunno I never got a response and since you are posting in every sub forum to wheel and deal I just chalked it up to you were just fishing and playing your own version of the Trade Em Up game . Which I must say you went from a jeep to a Cruiser so you are heading in the right direction :) .
There's some truth here, having landed in Cruiser land and having a great time learning about all of these old models, I have to say I wouldn't mind having several different models...45/55, etc.

I actually like this diesel monster. Probably not enough to hang onto it long term, but enough to not be overly anxious to get rid of it. The trade from the Jeep was definitely favorable, and I was never much of jeep guy anyway. Right place at the right time and it worked out well.

You are solidly booked for almost a year, so I actually assumed you wouldn't want to talk that far out. Maybe not the right assumption, sorry if I gave the impression that I just ghosted. And, you're correct, I'm not entirely sure what I want to do next, so I didn't want to waste your time.

The market always wins, and there is definitely a small number of buyers looking for what this is. But, the number isn't zero, so we'll see. I'm reasonable, open to offers, just not quite open to yours yet. :)

So everyone watching knows, I wrote up another ad as this one turned into more a build thread. Price dropped to $39k Trades still considered. Ebay and Craigslist soon as well.

So everyone watching knows, I wrote up another ad as this one turned into more a build thread. Price dropped to $39k Trades still considered. Ebay and Craigslist soon as well.
You considering Bring A Trailer? I think your rig would be perfect on there. Good luck either way and excited to see what you do next. GLWS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom