For Sale Maine: 1966 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
White
Outside Link
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zcmf9Wi6eH6S5Y4Y7
1966 FJ40 with a 1969 motor, original 1966 motor included. Second owner. Everything is original to the best of our knowledge. The vehicle is located in Maine.

PXL_20230703_193247542 - Copy.jpg

This vehicle has always been used for ranch work and hunting trips in Wyoming. This is a workhorse. Every scratch and dent has been earned. The body has surface rust but it is in otherwise very good shape. You will see that it took some pretty good hits but those are not flaky, rusty spots - they are solid bent or torn metal and are still solid today.

PXL_20230703_193439210 - Copy.jpg

Some history. I bought the vehicle from the original owner in 2005. He was retiring from his truck repair business. At the time, his sons said the mileage was original and today it has 84967 miles on it.

PXL_20230703_193415670 - Copy.jpg

The motor was replaced by their father. According to his sons, he thought the original motor was making noise. His sons disagreed. Besides the ranch, the father and sons had a large equipment shop for repairs on heavy machinery such as farm equipment and trucks. Fast forward to the time the sons said they were all going to meet at the elk camp in the mountains for a week of elk hunting. Their father was supposed to meet them at the site with the FJ40 except he never showed. When they returned home, their father had swapped the motor out. The original motor is shown below and came as part of the sale in 2005 as it does now. I do not have a date when the motor was replaced. My recollection is his sons said sometime in the mid-’90s. The 1966 motor has been housed inside since it was pulled from the vehicle.

PXL_20230703_194117368 - Copy.jpg

Since I bought the vehicle, it has been used for ranch work and climbed over 10K feet in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming on high-clearance 4WD roads many times. I have driven 300+ miles round-trip from my place to Billings, MT, a few times. It has a built-in weather gauge. The weatherstripping is original and gone so if it is snowing outside, it snows a bit inside. It is loud at 60 mph but it will go anywhere - especially in creeper gear. It has a working heater. I was told the PTO winch is a factory-installed unit they bought when they originally purchased the vehicle. The PTO winch was used by me many times on the ranch but not in the years since we moved.

When I first purchased the vehicle, I tore down the engine and replaced all the gaskets. There are no leaks. I replaced the brakes and other mechanical repairs to get it road-worthy for daily driving at the time. The engine runs great. In 2018, I relocated from Wyoming to Maine. Prior to moving, we had the brakes done and new brake cylinders put in. The vehicle has been in a barn since we got here except for a few trips we took with it. Here on the farm, I do not have a good use for the vehicle so I am selling it.

PXL_20230703_193308485.jpg

You will see the original wheels and wheel covers in the pictures provided in the google photos link. I replaced those with new wheels and BF Goodrich AT tires.

If you are looking for a vehicle that has been pampered, protected, and babied, this is not the vehicle for you. All the work done on this has been mechanical and not cosmetic. The vehicle was used as a truck. If you are looking for a workhorse vehicle that has solid bones and a great-running engine, you’re in luck. For someone wanting to do a restoration, this vehicle has a ton of potential.

$16,500

Reach out for more information. I can add more photos to the Google album and add video of it running if requested. I am limited to 5 photos in the ad.

PS. This is a new account because my old account, which I have had since 2005 when I originally bought the vehicle, no longer works. I do not have that email anymore and never changed my email over to a new one.

Cool rig! I’m about an hour away if anyone needs eyes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom